Wisniewski visiting Seattle

marko358

Reaction score
pmedic920":3kt5kpg2 said:
marko358":3kt5kpg2 said:
If we do sign him, I hope that he spends the next 72 hours posting all over twitter and instagram about how excited he is to be a Seahawk.

Yea, don't get started on the wrong foot like that other guy did.

Exactly. I'm actually a little concerned that he's not lighting up twitter telling everyone how excited he is to visit Seattle today. He obviously hates this city.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
marko358":qrqolk6f said:
pmedic920":qrqolk6f said:
marko358":qrqolk6f said:
If we do sign him, I hope that he spends the next 72 hours posting all over twitter and instagram about how excited he is to be a Seahawk.

Yea, don't get started on the wrong foot like that other guy did.

Exactly. I'm actually a little concerned that he's not lighting up twitter telling everyone how excited he is to visit Seattle today. He obviously hates this city.
Just stop it.

Have you checked his twitter lately?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bigcc":1g3zx4nz said:
Unbelievable some people are whining about his price....

you wanna see if schilling has gotten any better at C?

An average lineman is an upgrade over what we've had more often than not the past few years.
Who's whining about the price? I guess you want the Hawks to turn into the Raiders and overpay for anyone and everyone

bigcc

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2x9ks1qn said:
bigcc":2x9ks1qn said:

An average lineman is an upgrade over what we've had more often than not the past few years.
Who's whining about the price? I guess you want the Hawks to turn into the Raiders and overpay for anyone and everyone

Lmao, "Who's whining about the price?" *whines about price very next sentence"

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bigcc":1fo7medf said:
Hawkfan77":1fo7medf said:
bigcc":1fo7medf said:

What price am I whining about?

It's ok that you would like to conveniently forget how this team works.

marko358

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":7pyblwfo said:
Just stop it.

You may want to call your handy man. Seems like your equipment is broken.

sarcasm-detector-o.gif

bigcc

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":22i586qa said:
bigcc":22i586qa said:
Hawkfan77":22i586qa said:
bigcc":22i586qa said:

What price am I whining about?

It's ok that you would like to conveniently forget how this team works.

whatever you consider "overpaying" to be apparently.

And yeah, we've knocked it out the park drafting offensive linemen haven't we?

He's 25, a top 10 C/G (which happens to be our biggest need), sounds like he'll come cheap, and he isn't gonna be hobbled or miss half the season like Unger/Carpenter have as of late.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
marko358":1gps70y5 said:
Hawkfan77":1gps70y5 said:
Just stop it.

You may want to call your handy man. Seems like your equipment is broken.

sarcasm-detector-o.gif
Ha, how am I supposed to know :34853_doh:

But seriously, is it bad that it didn't surprise me to see that comment and think it was real? That what it's like these days!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
More on the compensatory picks issue...

Based on the expected cut-offs for determining 2015 comp picks, Maxwell is clearly a 3rd rounder ($10.5M/year) for us in the 2016 draft, Carp is a 5th rounder ($4.775/year) and Malcolm Smith is a 6th rounder ($3.5M/year).

While the exact cutoffs for 2016 will certainly be higher due to the increase in the 2015 salary cap, we can use the above projected comp pick rounds in determining whose comp pick someone like Wis may cancel out.

For example, if the Hawks sign Wis at $4.0M/year, then he would most likely cancel out Malcolm's 6th rounder since he's getting $3.5M from the Raiders.

It's obviously not exact... but can be used as a guide.

EDITED: to update Carp's average salary per year after details were released.

MVP53

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1duukenv said:
austinslater25":1duukenv said:
I could be wrong but I think most of the metric sites graded him fairly highly in pass protection and overall. Saw it mentioned in twitter but I'll have to look into it.

As I recall they're very inconsistent across sites, with some saying he did well last year and others saying he did very poorly.

This could also be because without knowing schemes of all the lineman positions Center is really subjective and really hard to grade unless you have a 3-4 NT always lined up on top of them.

If anything, I'm surprised at how little of a market there seems to have been for him so far, and rumors of 3 million py raise a lot of questions for me too.

I've thought of him as a good center, but that's based on reputation, not focused watching. So far the market (which IS based on focused watching) seems to be treating him as otherwise.

With stories leaking that the Graham trade started as the Saints inquiring about Unger, that raises questions for me too about Wisniewski (if the Saints wanted a center why weren't they going after him; they'd rather give up Jimmy Graham for the oft-injured Unger? -- I think the safer assumption is that they're not just incredibly stupid).

I don't tend to think of that trade as "Graham for Unger, with picks to offset". I tend to think of it more as "Graham for a 1st, and Unger for a 4th".

When you look at it that way, I think it makes more sense in terms of the return each team got for the player they gave up.

Plus, NO creates some cap room by not rostering Graham, so you can't exactly look at it as, "why wouldn't they just sign a C, rather than trade Graham for one?"

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":36m60shc said:
I just watched him for three games, with 2 common opponents, NE and STL. His pass pro is great, he knows his pass pro zone, is alert for help if no one is in his area.

His run blocking is technically sound, but you can see him struggle with bigger guys if he has to block one on one. More than once I saw him get walked back into a gap by a stronger player, and he is rarely as far down field blocking as we commonly saw Unger get. And he really struggled to get push in yard to go situations. I didn't see any bad snaps in the games I watched, his gun snaps look pretty crisp.

If it's truly a problem and Wiz does struggle against big DTs Seahawks can sub Patrick Lewis in Short Yardage/Goal-Line packages.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":31shl8l6 said:
Scottemojo":31shl8l6 said:
I just watched him for three games, with 2 common opponents, NE and STL. His pass pro is great, he knows his pass pro zone, is alert for help if no one is in his area.

His run blocking is technically sound, but you can see him struggle with bigger guys if he has to block one on one. More than once I saw him get walked back into a gap by a stronger player, and he is rarely as far down field blocking as we commonly saw Unger get. And he really struggled to get push in yard to go situations. I didn't see any bad snaps in the games I watched, his gun snaps look pretty crisp.

If it's truly a problem and Wiz does struggle against big DTs Seahawks can sub Patrick Lewis in Short Yardage/Goal-Line packages.
Show me a team that subs centers situationally and I will send you some magic beans. Never happen.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3uwj7cpl said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3uwj7cpl said:
Scottemojo":3uwj7cpl said:

Show me a team that subs centers situationally and I will send you some magic beans. Never happen.

Every team subs in a different center when they are going to kick the ball. :D

Brahn

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2390a4md said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2390a4md said:
Scottemojo":2390a4md said:

Does the long snapper count? He does play center in specific situations. =D

McGruff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ez5j61wx said:
Pandion Haliaetus":ez5j61wx said:
Scottemojo":ez5j61wx said:

Seattle subs their center fairly often.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1i6pv19z said:
Scottemojo":1i6pv19z said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1i6pv19z said:
Scottemojo":1i6pv19z said:

Every team subs in a different center when they are going to kick the ball. :D
I could have phrased that better. I will be sending you no magic beans on a technicality.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jblaze":2xwxma15 said:
Hawkfan77":2xwxma15 said:
jblaze":2xwxma15 said:
I see a lot of people referring to losing a 3rd round comp pick by signing Wis. That is not true.

If we sign him at roughly 5m (which is the number NFL personnel people are suggesting), it would be a 5th or 6th round comp pick forfeiture.

We'll get a 3rd for Maxwell unless we sign a guy for over 8m. It's salary based.
It's not entirely salary based. But if we sign him for 5 APY that's technically more than Carp so does it still cancel out Carp or does it cancel out the higher salary next closest which would be Maxwell?

Now Schnieder knows the compensatory process much better than all of us. He will structure the contract as such, unless they feel Wiz is better than what could be had in the 3rd. I trust the FO

It is not entirely salary, but without knowing the exact formula it's the most accurate factor we have. It's very closely tied to APY which is pretty obvious.

My point is that we will likely negate the Carp comp pick with this as it's in the same range, it won't go up to a 3rd.

One thing is sure here if you listen to the Schneider interviews of late. He has been studying the Raven's FO for a while and they're very conscious of comp picks. For instance, signing guys that were cut vs. UFA's. Schneider is all about volume drafting 10-11 picks each year. There's a few ways to do that but this is one of them without having to trade down.

A 3rd round pick the next year is extremely valuable to this FO.

For reference, this is a great article that explains the basics and methodology behind the comp pick awarding.

http://overthecap.com/basics-methodolog ... 15-beyond/

True, it's tier ranges based on apy. We'll likely lose the Carp comp but still get the Maxwell 3rd.

Essentially by trading for Graham instead of signing Julian Thomas, Seahawks netted a 3rd round pick. I think the Seahawks probably included that realization as part of the deal.

We can sign JT or we can give up Unger and our 1st and get Graham, a 4th, and a '16 3rd round comp for Maxwell.

I'd Suh doesn't count against the process, I know players on 1 year contracts do not, not sure about franchised tagged players, Seahawks likely get the first comp next year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":1fkb51t1 said:
Scottemojo":1fkb51t1 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1fkb51t1 said:
Scottemojo":1fkb51t1 said:

Really? Seattle subbed for Unger in short yardage?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
McGruff":7kej8fbp said:
Scottemojo":7kej8fbp said:
Pandion Haliaetus":7kej8fbp said:
Scottemojo":7kej8fbp said:

Mostly when they're injured though. :lol:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kahlelpw said:
Pandion Haliaetus":kahlelpw said:
Scottemojo":kahlelpw said:

I was just saying if it was truly a problem like consistently owned.

Another reason I think the Seahawks will prevail without an elite blocking TE is that they'll go Jumbo with guys like Gilliam in those situations.

Latest posts