Wisniewski visiting Seattle

McGruff

Reaction score
Reasons why Wiz won't be back in Oakland . . .

1. Raiders are dumb

2. Wiz is smart

3. Raiders are bad

4. Wiz is good

5. Raiders are losers

6. Wiz is win

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":2y2sddnp said:
If he is The Wiz then isn't the Emerald City where he belongs?

Somewhere in all of this there is a joke about pee cups and PED's. I just can't find the words for it.

McGruff

Reaction score
Regarding the loss of comp picks, a 3-5 million dollar APY contract for Wiz would cancel out either Malcom Smith (3.5) or James Carpenter (5) . . . it wouldn't even begin to touch Maxwell's comp (10)

jblaze

Reaction score
I see a lot of people referring to losing a 3rd round comp pick by signing Wis. That is not true.

If we sign him at roughly 5m (which is the number NFL personnel people are suggesting), it would be a 5th or 6th round comp pick forfeiture.

We'll get a 3rd for Maxwell unless we sign a guy for over 8m. It's salary based.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jblaze":zhf7ftyn said:
I see a lot of people referring to losing a 3rd round comp pick by signing Wis. That is not true.

If we sign him at roughly 5m (which is the number NFL personnel people are suggesting), it would be a 5th or 6th round comp pick forfeiture.

We'll get a 3rd for Maxwell unless we sign a guy for over 8m. It's salary based.
It's not entirely salary based. But if we sign him for 5 APY that's technically more than Carp so does it still cancel out Carp or does it cancel out the higher salary next closest which would be Maxwell?

Now Schnieder knows the compensatory process much better than all of us. He will structure the contract as such, unless they feel Wiz is better than what could be had in the 3rd. I trust the FO

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":lcwcoahb said:
I just watched him for three games, with 2 common opponents, NE and STL. His pass pro is great, he knows his pass pro zone, is alert for help if no one is in his area.

His run blocking is technically sound, but you can see him struggle with bigger guys if he has to block one on one. More than once I saw him get walked back into a gap by a stronger player, and he is rarely as far down field blocking as we commonly saw Unger get. And he really struggled to get push in yard to go situations. I didn't see any bad snaps in the games I watched, his gun snaps look pretty crisp.

TY

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, appreciate the look. I think I would take that. My only concern is run blocking within the division but it doesn't sound like he's absolutely terrible in the run game just much better in pass protection . Again thanks for sharing.

marko358

Reaction score
If we do sign him, I hope that he spends the next 72 hours posting all over twitter and instagram about how excited he is to be a Seahawk.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SI_DougFarrar/status/575877784750309376[/tweet]

jblaze

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":31qncji8 said:
jblaze":31qncji8 said:

It's not entirely salary based. But if we sign him for 5 APY that's technically more than Carp so does it still cancel out Carp or does it cancel out the higher salary next closest which would be Maxwell?

Now Schnieder knows the compensatory process much better than all of us. He will structure the contract as such, unless they feel Wiz is better than what could be had in the 3rd. I trust the FO

It is not entirely salary, but without knowing the exact formula it's the most accurate factor we have. It's very closely tied to APY which is pretty obvious.

My point is that we will likely negate the Carp comp pick with this as it's in the same range, it won't go up to a 3rd.

One thing is sure here if you listen to the Schneider interviews of late. He has been studying the Raven's FO for a while and they're very conscious of comp picks. For instance, signing guys that were cut vs. UFA's. Schneider is all about volume drafting 10-11 picks each year. There's a few ways to do that but this is one of them without having to trade down.

A 3rd round pick the next year is extremely valuable to this FO.

For reference, this is a great article that explains the basics and methodology behind the comp pick awarding.

http://overthecap.com/basics-methodolog ... 15-beyond/

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Was Cable his coach his rookie year? When is he visting? We always hear this player and that player is visiting, then they go elsewhere....thats the part about FA I hate!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jblaze":mw3d0eoq said:
Hawkfan77":mw3d0eoq said:
jblaze":mw3d0eoq said:

It is not entirely salary, but without knowing the exact formula it's the most accurate factor we have. It's very closely tied to APY which is pretty obvious.

My point is that we will likely negate the Carp comp pick with this as it's in the same range, it won't go up to a 3rd.

One thing is sure here if you listen to the Schneider interviews of late. He has been studying the Raven's FO for a while and they're very conscious of comp picks. For instance, signing guys that were cut vs. UFA's. Schneider is all about volume drafting 10-11 picks each year. There's a few ways to do that but this is one of them without having to trade down.

A 3rd round pick the next year is extremely valuable to this FO.

For reference, this is a great article that explains the basics and methodology behind the comp pick awarding.

Yes Id rather the Hawks go after players that have been cut because they don't count against compensatory picks. Schnieder knows this. We have a very savvy FO and draft picks are very important to them. Some on here want to overpay just to get a player but that's not how this FO works. Signing someone isn't just about the cap impact, it's about the draft impact as well and losing draft picks ultimately costs you more money because a team will need more FA signings.

This team knows what it's doing and I don't see them going over 5 million like some are advocating

HawkFan72

Reaction score
marko358":1l2q89l8 said:
If we do sign him, I hope that he spends the next 72 hours posting all over twitter and instagram about how excited he is to be a Seahawk.

Yes! It's not a good signing unless that happens.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":22jhkmmj said:
Cable might be able to turn him into a great Center. Raiders still uses the Zone Blocking Scheme so already he's familiar with it.

Raiders use a power blocking scheme. They had an ill-fated excursion into the zone blocking world in 2012 when Greg Knapp was the OC, although Wisniewski gave up no sacks that year. When Greg Olson took over for the 2013 season, he reinstituted the power scheme and Wisniewski had what many feel was his best season.

Wisniewski was scouted out of Pen State as ZBS center or left guard. He had the typical size and athleticism for this scheme. He has been mostly average in 3 years of power and one year of zone.

I feel that he is an average center/ LG asking for a above average contract. It is reasonable to think that his situation may be stunting his ability to look any better than average and he could turn into an above average, though likely not great, lineman in the right system. I would offer him the choice of a short-term prove it deal or a longer-term contract structured as a prove it deal. Escalate the pay year by year with minimal cap hit for cutting him each year so that if he is as good as he thinks he is, he will secure a place on the line and will make the bucks without having to go back into free agency.

I would probably move him to left guard and continue to look elsewhere for a solid ZBS center, and I would begin by looking at Samson Satele down in Miami who will probably be moving Pouncey back into center.

- bsd RPA

MysterMatt

Reaction score
mikeak":zopd5sqr said:
Scottemojo":zopd5sqr said:
I just watched him for three games, with 2 common opponents, NE and STL. His pass pro is great, he knows his pass pro zone, is alert for help if no one is in his area.

His run blocking is technically sound, but you can see him struggle with bigger guys if he has to block one on one. More than once I saw him get walked back into a gap by a stronger player, and he is rarely as far down field blocking as we commonly saw Unger get. And he really struggled to get push in yard to go situations. I didn't see any bad snaps in the games I watched, his gun snaps look pretty crisp.

TY
So Wiz is essentially a younger and healthier Unger.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2qdfqapy said:

Really glad to see AdamTJ13 still getting acknowledged as the person who cracked the comp pick formula. (he started doing this work on a different forum I used to post at, and then transitioned over to his blog, IIRC).

Pretty cool that it's because of some guy on the internet a bunch of years ago (and we know who it was!) that both we as fans and paid reporters more generally have the ability to mostly accuratenly predict the comp picks in advance of them being announced.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Popeyejones":epns0qpa said:
pmedic920":epns0qpa said:
Call me crazy but you could almost look at the trade like this.

Unger and a 1st

For Graham, Wiz and a 4th.

For the price, that's sweetness.

The trade was already a really good one for the Hawks. You don't need to goose it by pretending Wisniewski was a part of it.

But I really like to goose. And pretending is always fun.

pmedic920

Reaction score
marko358":1m9ih9fs said:

Yea, don't get started on the wrong foot like that other guy did.

bigcc

Reaction score
Unbelievable some people are whining about his price....

you wanna see if schilling has gotten any better at C?

An average lineman is an upgrade over what we've had more often than not the past few years.