Wilson's height and passing over the (short) middle

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I rooted for the Utah Jazz growing up. Karl Malone was constantly criticized by a certain segment of the fan base for being a poor defender. When he retired he was the #2 all-time leading scorer in NBA history and in the top 10 all time for rebounding, yet some fans would always complain.

Shaun Alexander was denigrated for lack of short yardage toughness and for not breaking tackles. He only became NFL MVP.

No player is perfect (except maybe Jordan). There is almost always some area of weakness that you have to live with. Russ is limited in some ways but he excels in so many other areas that I can live with those limitations. He has a terrific arm, very good accuracy, sick mobility, great leadership, is tough as nails, and doesn't turn the ball over. The coaching staff has to maximize the many amazing abilities he possesses and mitigate his weaknesses. The coaching staff has failed.

I don't blame Russ. He has been so conditioned to avoid mistakes that he is paralyzed in his decision making. It's not that he lacks vison, it's that he doesn't trust his eyes. If the receiver isn't definitively open he is afraid to throw them open. I say it's time to unleash him. We're 2-4. Let it rip. Let him go out and be a playmaker. Move the pocket. Use more ZR. Line him up at WR for a few plays. Let the kid have some fun.

Just like Shaun, Russ has the raw ability to become NFL MVP one day. It will require a better OL, a true #1 WR, and an OC that understands him, but he has the tools. Until then, we need to Zornify our offense and let a playmaker make plays.

mrt144

Reaction score
I'd feel like the Hawks were closer to league average at OL if there weren't so many obvious plays where at least one linemen completely whiffs on their assignment. I agree that QB play and scheme influence the performance of the players but I'd argue that it's even more profound than we might currently understand, especially in relation to scheme.

It wouldn't be the first time that talent is being misused in football but you have to be open to the possibility of a scrutable offensive scheme to even venture there. A lot of people on this board make it a tireless chore to dialogue with because there is a scapegoat and a golden calf beholden to them.

I would absolutely put a greater share of responsibility on scheme to adjust to talent gaps but that's because I believe, and I think this is wholly justified, it is simply an easier task to spend hours pouring over game film, taking inventory of why things aren't working and then adjusting the plays to have a better chance of affecting success than a player or position group 'figuring it out' and simply executing outside of what they've shown they're capable of (and especially thinking that's easier than make 3 reads in 2.5 seconds, every single play despite the design and blocking)

That's not to say that RW can't improve in some key areas but I am resigned to thinking he won't improve on this team with this offensive philosophy with these coaches. The team simply isn't going to enable him to become a pocket passer this year by play design, talent gaps, talent spending, situational play calling and least of all because of the inherentness of RW being who he is.

Fans are asking RW to play like a 10 year veteran at the top of his game, right now, wholly contingent on the fact he's making bank. Combine with the inherent inferiority complex endemic to Seattle fandom that makes losing in the midst of a great run seem like asphyxiation and here we are:

People want improvement absent any investment by the FO because they believe people spontaneously rise to greatness through their willpower alone to do so.

I still think football is a team game and the coaches and coordinators are as much of the team as the players.

lobohawk

Reaction score
I generally don't like to nitpick an OC, cause I know I'm an observer. What I can't escape is how slow he's been to adjust for an OL that has issues. He should have been prepared because it's a recurring theme (early season struggles). Especially in light of the experimentation going on this year. Too many plays that might work for some Ols, but not this one right now. Seems to be more hoping it'll just click at some point.

Latest posts