Wilson needs a decent start

northseahawk

Reaction score
I was surprised to read that Wilson hasn't completed a first quarter pass in the last 3 playoff games. With the Panthers usually playing stellar defense against us n shutting down our running, Wilson needs to start out firing. Can't rely on making miracle comeback against that team.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm hoping we don't have 2 of our first 5 plays as scripted and written up for Jackson. Nothing against Fred who I love but lets get Lockett, Baldwin even Willson involved early.

hawk45

Reaction score
100% agree with OP. Wilson has struggled early in playoff games.

I don't need him to to kill it in the first quarter but I need him to not turn the ball over like he has done in the last two conference championship games.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. Hey Bevell, here's a message for ya...

How about you call the game TO WIN instead of that PLAY NOT TO LOSE game plan that bites us in the ass 90% of the time?

I want to see aggressive, go for the throat, neutralize their D type of game planning like we saw when we played the Cardinals in the last regular season. THAT'S HOW YOU WIN!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
While most teams elect to receive the opening kickoff, we always elect to kick so we can start on defense and get the kickoff in the 2nd half. As a result of this tactic, we will generally have fewer first-quarter possessions. So while no completions in the first quarter sounds alarming - and definitely leaves room for improvement, it may only represent one or two passes per game (7-minute opponent drive, 3-and-out, opponent drive finishes quarter).

We also tend to use the opening part of the game to gather information. We see how the opponent wants to attack our defense, then we respond with adjustments. This makes us - generally speaking - a stronger 2nd-half team, but it does tend to extend first-quarter drives for our opponents as we take a more cautious defensive approach.

So yes this is a stat, but it's not as alarming as it looks.

It's all part of the formula.

hawk45

Reaction score
Many teams find a way to gather information without giving a way 2 quarters.

It's odd how gathering information looks a lot like a crappy initial game plan.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawk45":2befropz said:

Solid point. 8)

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Are Wilson's poor stats in the 1st quarter his fault or the fault of crap-ola play calling by Darrell Bevel?

In the frozen tundra game in Minnesota, Bevel made 2 major "natural science" blunders that shows what an idiot he is.

The first two passes in that game required receivers to look back directly into the sun to find the ball. It's bad enough to completely ignore the position of the sun on a play call, but then to do it again a few plays later after the first guy was clearly blinded means that Bevel is clueless.

Then, all day long, Bevel was having Wilson throw the ball DEEP downfield in frigid -4 degree weather. Folks, when the weather is that bad, YOU RUN THE FREAKING BALL! There's no way even the most accurate passer in the league can be accurate in frigid weather with winds gusting to 15 MPH.

When your OC fails to take into account the sun, the temperature, and the wind, it's little wonder that the guy executing his stupid plays doesn't have very good first quarter stats.

Bevel is the problem, not Wilson.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing something off the bat like the rub route they tried at the end of the Super Bowl but also at the beginning of the AZ game. Make it quick, make it simple, and most importantly, make it complete.

Donn2390

Reaction score
people like to badmouth Bevell just because other do and they want to be in the in crowd.
Pete likes him, he's find, give it up...!!

irocdave

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":3c9ev67k said:
Are Wilson's poor stats in the 1st quarter his fault or the fault of crap-ola play calling by Darrell Bevel?

In the frozen tundra game in Minnesota, Bevel made 2 major "natural science" blunders that shows what an idiot he is.

The first two passes in that game required receivers to look back directly into the sun to find the ball. It's bad enough to completely ignore the position of the sun on a play call, but then to do it again a few plays later after the first guy was clearly blinded means that Bevel is clueless.

Then, all day long, Bevel was having Wilson throw the ball DEEP downfield in frigid -4 degree weather. Folks, when the weather is that bad, YOU RUN THE FREAKING BALL! There's no way even the most accurate passer in the league can be accurate in frigid weather with winds gusting to 15 MPH.

When your OC fails to take into account the sun, the temperature, and the wind, it's little wonder that the guy executing his stupid plays doesn't have very good first quarter stats.

I wouldn't put all the blame on Bevel but you bring up points that while I was watching saw also. Couple other things I saw that didn't make sense were using Jackson in the run game instead of focusing on throwing the ball to him up field. The best attributes of Jackson would be blocking and pass catching. He is to slow to hit the nano second hole this O line can provide, stop trying to pound the square peg in to the round hole. No throws to the tight end in the middle of the field. Yea, JG and LW are hurt but there are two other guys that are paid to catch the ball on the roster also. Also need to stop throwing those WR bubble screens to DB, works much better if DB and JK block for Lockett on bubble screens.

RW also bears some of the blame for refusing to wear a glove. Those rainbow passes were on him, no feel in his fingertips and let the ball go to early in the throw = to much loft in the pass. If the Hawks win and GB beats the cards, the Hawks will be playing in these same conditions, hopefully they learn from discounting the temperatures in in really cold weather.

Anthony!

Reaction score
northseahawk":3fw1r1ke said:
I was surprised to read that Wilson hasn't completed a first quarter pass in the last 3 playoff games. With the Panthers usually playing stellar defense against us n shutting down our running, Wilson needs to start out firing. Can't rely on making miracle comeback against that team.

That right he is 0-4 in the last 3 playoff games in the 1st qtr. That said only 4 attempts in 3 qtrs. Hmm

nanomoz

Reaction score
It'd be nice to get some confidence and rhythm early. This offense has shown over the course of the second half of the season that it can sustain--it doesn't have to suck out of the gate. That said, if you think about it, this offense has been putrid for one, two, or even three quarters on a number of occasions and still either won or had a lead in the 4th quarter.

Can I just say that the reliance on shotgun this past week made me nuts--especially in the first half. -20-something with wind chill and the staff doesn't come to the conclusion that maybe some risk would be removed by running some plays under center. I thought about it the night before: "there's no way Bevs and Pete will rely so much on shotgun tomorrow in that historic weather." I was terrified of bad snaps. I guess they weren't. It was kind of unbelievable.

Granted, the best play of the game came on a botched snap in such a shotgun, but I'd prefer not to count on heroics that are that improvisational or loaded with such potential for catastrophe. /rant

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
northseahawk":w0m8gday said:

In the superbowl our first drive was 3 runs and a punt. 2nd drive Wilson ran it for 7 yards, Lynch run and then Wilson got sacked to end the 1st quarter...

So in the superbowl he dropped back once and got sacked in the first quarter and we had 5 runs.

Packer game was god awful though. Incomplete, Intercepted, Sacked, Incomplete in the first quarter with a kickoff return fumble, and 2 Lynch runs.

This past game it was 2 incompletions out of 2 throws on 2nd and 3rd down

I think from looking at this we need to throw more in the first quarter or the defense needs to get the ball back for the offense instead of letting the other team chew up huge ammount of game clock.

It is kind of rediculous that he only had 7 dropbacks in the first quarter in these 3 games combined..that is just..WOW... 2 sacks, 1 INT, 4 inc.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":ywxiqpjq said:

That's what baffled me. Bridgewater was getting super simple (read high school-level) play calls, and not because the Vikes OC is dumb....it's because that's what works in crappy weather. I will partially excuse Bevell, because the Vikes were in a dome when he was there, but good gawd, Gerty! He was aware of the nastiness they were heading into, and could have boned up on what works and what doesn't in a general sense. He already had the table set with 'run da ball,' so all he had to do was tailor the passing game. Instead, he takes multiple shots downfield. The explanation after the game was the deep routes were available (taking what they gave us). Well no kidding! The Vikings coaches paid little attention to the deep passes because they KNEW they wouldn't be effective.

Right up to that game, the Hawks had been placing emphasis on the short-passing game. Installing some more wrinkles or elements of that would have been MUCH more appropriate. Sooo fortune to get even 7 points with that lousy game plan.

themunn

Reaction score
hawk45":3qcpnt5v said:

Most teams lose to us in the end
Maybe they're not gathering the right information

themunn

Reaction score
As for Minnesota's gameplan - Bridgewater WAS completing short passes, you're correct, the problem is that you need 10-15 plays just to get into position for a field goal, in conditions like that it's difficult to move the ball upfield, and in fact, Minnesota's points game from 2 drives that started in our half, and another drive that started on the MIN 46 that was immediately followed by a 15 yard rushing the passer penalty on 1st down.
The final drive Minnesota actually threw the ball downfield somewhat, completed one and had another extended due to DPI.

Throwing the ball long in that kind of game was EXACTLY the right idea, because you complete one pass you pretty much guarantee yourself a good shot at 3 points, given the game was always going to be low scoring, complete 3 or 4 of them and you're in a good position to win the game.
On the other hand, you could complete 17 short passes like Bridgewater did and go absolutely nowhere all game, because he really needed to complete 25+

hawker84

Reaction score
Donn2390":9rp6gpwp said:
people like to badmouth Bevell just because other do and they want to be in the in crowd.
Pete likes him, he's find, give it up...!!

Disagree, think he's stubborn, bullheaded, and it takes him way too long to make adjustments. I am one of those who does not like him as our OC, I am also one of those who thinks our success the last few years, is not because of him , but in spite of him. Can he call a brilliant game, absolutely, unfortunately they are few and far between. I've been calling for his head for 3 years and will continue to do so, until A) he figures it out that we don't have to run on every 2nd and long, or B) he moves on.

Again cracks me up that folks on here think people aren't allowed their own opinion.

chevelle03

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vxvs1d2e said:
hawk45":vxvs1d2e said:

Solid point. 8)

It's not rare that a team jumps out to an early lead and then gets shut down the rest of the game. It could be that the other team has 'gathered information' and made the necessary adjustments, and the team that had the early lead is too stubborn to go away from what worked early in the game. If some crappy play in the beginning of games happens from time to time because of this approach I will take it as long as the wins keep coming.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Vanilla by design. Don't show your good stuff until you've got a read on your opponent. Arguing against this strategy is ridiculous given its success.
We've been a deliberate starting, fast finishing team for years now. Why can't we accept it?