Wilson and Seahawks haven’t talked contract

Jville

Reaction score
Amusing ........

So much possessiveness and lusting after a former 3rd round pick. The media makes such great sport out of toying with the public. And when the public begins to go after one another, more of the same is sure to follow.

Atradees

Reaction score
if I have to trade Russell- I trade him to the Raiders and Ciara could do Vegas.

All those picks.......wow........

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":369wrjc7 said:
Amusing ........

So much possessiveness and lusting after a former 3rd round pick. The media makes such great sport out of toying with the public. And when the public begins to go after one another, more of the same is sure to follow.

Honestly it's gotta just be boredom because it's the slow time of the football calendar..........and you can only talk about Lebron for so many segments of your show.

I'm sure Cowherd is in his production meetings spitballing ideas, and this is the crap he and his producers come up with to generate buzz and clicks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson is a pretty confident guy.

It is certainly not crazy to expect he might be a bit frustrated watch guys like Mahomes and Prescott boatrace him.

It is also possible his only people could be telling him just how much better he could be in a system that maximized his ability instead of minimized it. Considering we are just fans and essentially saying this among ourselves, someone with more vested interests that actually know him must be coming to the same conclusions too.

So I don't dismiss this rumor because it is likely. Is a trade to the Giants likely? Oh God No.

But Wilson asking to get a chance to show he can win somewhere else sounds exactly like the kind of thing he would need to do. To prove his greatness was not a product of Carroll but instead was his own. A lot of guys wait until they are older to do this, where this is harder to do. Wilson might be savvier than that.

And, it has to be acknowledged that Pete's way of winning does not require a great QB. In fact, his offenses tend to leave a lot of opportunity on the table by not harvesting as much of that value from QB as they could. Without Wilson, but with another QB, could we find someone to throw for 100 yds in a half? Probably.

Would we win a championship with this other QB? Of course not but we won't win one with Wilson in this system with this defense anyway.

So we have a situation where Wilson may really prefer to leave and we may really not need him - but we also would face a fan revolt in letting him go. That probably means the Seahawks have to franchise him, fight to keep him and resist trading him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":jo9pwq8i said:
It is also possible his only people could be telling him just how much better he could be in a system that maximized his ability instead of minimized it. Considering we are just fans and essentially saying this among ourselves, someone with more vested interests that actually know him must be coming to the same conclusions too..

Yeah must suck for Russell to be a perennial playoff contender top 5 elite QB that's on his way to the Hall of Fame and currently top three in QBR, Passer Rating and TD's................AND get to play on one of the top 2-3 franchises in the league when it comes to city, fanbase, stadium, coach, GM and cutting edge training and practice facilities.

I can definitely see how this would get old.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":18nh26dw said:
Wilson is a pretty confident guy.

It is certainly not crazy to expect he might be a bit frustrated watch guys like Mahomes and Prescott boatrace him.

It is also possible his only people could be telling him just how much better he could be in a system that maximized his ability instead of minimized it. Considering we are just fans and essentially saying this among ourselves, someone with more vested interests that actually know him must be coming to the same conclusions too.

So I don't dismiss this rumor because it is likely. Is a trade to the Giants likely? Oh God No.

But Wilson asking to get a chance to show he can win somewhere else sounds exactly like the kind of thing he would need to do. To prove his greatness was not a product of Carroll but instead was his own. A lot of guys wait until they are older to do this, where this is harder to do. Wilson might be savvier than that.

And, it has to be acknowledged that Pete's way of winning does not require a great QB. In fact, his offenses tend to leave a lot of opportunity on the table by not harvesting as much of that value from QB as they could. Without Wilson, but with another QB, could we find someone to throw for 100 yds in a half? Probably.

Would we win a championship with this other QB? Of course not but we won't win one with Wilson in this system with this defense anyway.

So we have a situation where Wilson may really prefer to leave and we may really not need him - but we also would face a fan revolt in letting him go. That probably means the Seahawks have to franchise him, fight to keep him and resist trading him.

I've brought up that highlighted section a number of times. Absolutely true. Any professional advisor looking out to maximize Russ's talent would be advising him to not walk but RUN from Pete as fast as he can! I honestly wouldn't blame him after the year after year pounding he took at the hands of Cable and his ineptness. Ultimately that is all on Pete for thinking everything was OK when it was a joke.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rt8c09tv said:
TwistedHusky":rt8c09tv said:
It is also possible his only people could be telling him just how much better he could be in a system that maximized his ability instead of minimized it. Considering we are just fans and essentially saying this among ourselves, someone with more vested interests that actually know him must be coming to the same conclusions too..

Yeah must suck for Russell to be a perennial playoff contender top 5 elite QB that's on his way to the Hall of Fame and currently top three in QBR, Passer Rating and TD's................AND get to play on one of the top 2-3 franchises in the league when it comes to city, fanbase, stadium, coach, GM and cutting edge training and practice facilities.

Sherman and Earl had similar success here and that didn't prove to be enough for either of them. Just saying... sometimes "the other man's astro turf really is greener", at least to those walking on it. ;)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is on pace to be the greatest sports figure Seattle has ever seen. He will eclipse every team stat line and hold every team record he’s able to—a feat that only a top five all time player would be able to best. You’re telling me he wants to go to a city where he’ll never even sniff being one of the top 25 sports figures, replacing a QB who won two Super Bowls. No way he wants this.

What worries me, is that what Ciara wants, she gets...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So the guy that was signing up for every Nickolodean Kid Choice Awards he could, to drive his brand forward - is going to be happy doing rinky-dink regional/local Alaska Airlines commercials?

Being a top 5 or 6 QB is a great accomplishment, but he still gets to read about Dak Prescott in the playoffs or Mahomes.

Legends are made in the playoffs and Wilson wants to be legendary. He doesn't want to be top 5 in the league, he wants to be an Alll-Time Great. He said this himself, literally multiple times.

You don't believe that Wilson believes in himself enough that he feels he could go to a NY and supplant Manning as one of the most beloved NY QBs? Or take the Jets to the SB or ??? (Even if this is extremely unlikely, the question is whether Wilson believes he can do this).

Wilson doesn't want to be The Big Fish in a small pond. He wants to be The Big Fish in all the ponds, if not the ocean.

You don't get that by staying in a city that loves you - you get that by going to a giant media center and building your brand, if not building atop your legacy by showing you can drive the same success on other teams too.

We will see how this goes but remember there were whispers about this at the start of this football season. So the idea that Wilson might push to play somewhere else should surprise nobody. Look at how moving to Wisconsin from NC State made him a household name. Even if people love you where you are, showing you can do it again reinforces if not multiplies your legacy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1yc29f1j said:
Sgt. Largent":1yc29f1j said:
TwistedHusky":1yc29f1j said:

Sherman and Earl had similar success here and that didn't prove to be enough for either of them. Just saying... sometimes "the other man's astro turf really is greener", at least to those walking on it. ;)

Sherman and Earl would still be here if we paid them and put up with their nonsense.

It's not a fair comparison at all. The reason they're not here anymore was OUR choice, not theirs. The only reason Russell would be unhappy here is if he and his agent aren't loving the numbers John and Pete are throwing at them for his extension.

Which could be entirely possible. I doubt Pete and John are super excited about having to pay Wilson 35M a year hamstringing their cap for the next 6-7 years.

But the same as Earl and Richard? No. Not the same at all.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Earl and Sherm were kings here once, but without both of them our young bucks still earned a trip to the playoffs. Point being it takes a team to win, and to have a chance for a title. NO player, none, is good enough to carry is team through the season and playoffs and win a championship. We are at least a few players away even with Russ and or Earl.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1fbf2ww6 said:
So the guy that was signing up for every Nickolodean Kid Choice Awards he could, to drive his brand forward - is going to be happy doing rinky-dink regional/local Alaska Airlines commercials?.

Regional? Those are national Airline commercials..................and he also endorses Microsoft, Luvo, Nike, Bose, Braun, United Way, Eat the Ball, etc. To the tune of over 10M a year in endorsement money, which puts Russell at #4 or #5 for endorsement deals behind Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

The idea that NFL players need to be in a "big market" to cash in on salary and endorsements is a very antiquated opinion. The NFL is a global brand with dozens and dozens of media outlets covering it 24/7, also on a global level.

Again, if there's discontent between these negotiations, it's on the team side, not Russell's. Believe me, he'll pull a hamstring running down to Schneider's office to sign his extension if it's for more than Rodgers got last year.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I am curious to see how Wilson would do with a great offensive head coach.

It would be interesting to see if, let's say, Reid or Payton was his coach.

Andy Reid originally had plans to draft Wilson but the Seahawks grabbed him.

Reid even called Seattle and told Carroll.

Wilson leaving the Seahawks would piss so many fans off.

I wouldn't care as much.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gwb1lotu said:
TwistedHusky":gwb1lotu said:
So the guy that was signing up for every Nickolodean Kid Choice Awards he could, to drive his brand forward - is going to be happy doing rinky-dink regional/local Alaska Airlines commercials?.

Regional? Those are national Airline commercials..................and he also endorses Microsoft, Luvo, Nike, Bose, Braun, United Way, Eat the Ball, etc. To the tune of over 10M a year in endorsement money, which puts Russell at #4 or #5 for endorsement deals behind Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

The idea that NFL players need to be in a "big market" to cash in on salary and endorsements is a very antiquated opinion. The NFL is a global brand with dozens and dozens of media outlets covering it 24/7, also on a global level.

Again, if there's discontent between these negotiations, it's on the team side, not Russell's. Believe me, he'll pull a hamstring running down to Schneider's office to sign his extension if it's for more than Rodgers got last year.

Exactly.

How big of a market is Green Bay? Pretty sure Aaron Rodgers is doing just fine endorsement wise.

Chapow

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":gh9e5t32 said:
Paul Silvi just reported the possibility on King 5 News.

He was saying that Ciara would prefer to live closer to NY for her career.

I attempted to locate a printed version on their website, but couldn't so it remains heresay I guess.

Silvi is more reliable (IMO) than Cowherd, so I don't know what to make of it if anything.

Does Ciara even really have much of a career at this point?

Sincere question, when the last time Ciara did anything noteworthy in the entertainment industry?

If they are making decisions based on what's best for Ciara's career over Russell's career, their priorities are pretty out of whack IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":3dc3l2wz said:
BleuEyedHawk":3dc3l2wz said:
Paul Silvi just reported the possibility on King 5 News.

He was saying that Ciara would prefer to live closer to NY for her career.

I attempted to locate a printed version on their website, but couldn't so it remains heresay I guess.

Silvi is more reliable (IMO) than Cowherd, so I don't know what to make of it if anything.

Does Ciara even really have much of a career at this point?

Sincere question, when the last time Ciara did anything noteworthy in the entertainment industry?

If they are making decisions based on what's best for Ciara's career over Russell's career, their priorities are pretty out of whack IMO.

Again, this reeks of agent hype machine.

Negotiations aren't going as smoothly as we'd like, so let's start floating the "player and wife discontent" balloons out to the press.

Ciara barely had a career when she had a career, Russell was the best thing that ever happened to her. If not for him, she'd still be a D list act playing the backwoods fair circuit.

btw, no offense to Ciara, she seems like a very nice person, and she seems to have been great for Russell. But to think Russell's making career decisions based on her "being close to NY for her career" is laughable. Her only career IS Russell.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":2icanslc said:
DomeHawk":2icanslc said:
I heard the NY talk on the radio today too. I have been saying for a while that I could see Russ leaving, but I was speculating LA with him replacing a retiring Phillip Rivers.

Makes more sense to me.

Many teams want Russell Wilson, but only one team HAS Russell Wilson.....................which is really the most important part of Russell Wilson, the having.

This is how agent create hype and leverage. It's right out of the contract negotiations script.

Step One: Ask for the moon
Step Two: Create demand
Step Three: Float rumors of unhappiness
Step Four: Cut a hole in the box

It's a good point and I am sure this is in the toolbox of every agent worth their cut.

But honestly, if I were RW, I would have concerns over how well my talents were going to be utilized here. I don't know if that translates into actual "unhappiness" but it is certainly a reasonable argument.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":250vg7fg said:
Seymour":250vg7fg said:
Sgt. Largent":250vg7fg said:
TwistedHusky":250vg7fg said:

Sherman and Earl would still be here if we paid them and put up with their nonsense.

It's not a fair comparison at all. The reason they're not here anymore was OUR choice, not theirs. The only reason Russell would be unhappy here is if he and his agent aren't loving the numbers John and Pete are throwing at them for his extension.

Which could be entirely possible. I doubt Pete and John are super excited about having to pay Wilson 35M a year hamstringing their cap for the next 6-7 years.

But the same as Earl and Richard? No. Not the same at all.

Their nonsense was the direct results of a reaction to their perception of Pete's nonsense. In Sherman's case he's not here because he took his gripe with Pete to the field of play. It wasn't "our choice" to let him walk. They had no choice just like Earl after he picked his poison. My suggestion is Pete's nonsense could well be not in the best interest of ANY $35M QB is Seattle.

Russell Wilson under Pete Carroll is Ferrari on retreads.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It comes down to who is the Seahawks next owner, and if Carroll is still coaching.

Carroll's system does not need a highly paid QB to succeed. Carroll needs a heavy run offense and a stacked defense.

All the QB has to do is not lose the game with turnovers.

That's generally his recipe for success. Why does Carroll want to pay a QB top 3 money, it would hinder his salary cap.

He lives with a stack defense and ground game. Everybody knows this.

If the next owner and coach want to go largely a passing offense, they'll "need" Wilson.

Carroll doesn't need Wilson. Carroll needs a capable cheap QB.

If Wilson wants out, let him out. Don't turn this into Earl Thomas 2.0.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawker76":2iop9ny9 said:
IndyHawk":2iop9ny9 said:
This is why we might as well get as much as possible for BOTH players..
reload even more with solid young talent on cheap contracts with tons
of money under the cap..
Paying 60 million a year for 2 players?No and No..
John & Pete could really do some building with seven 1st rounders in three years and $50M extra cap room per year.

Yeah we would have a shit ton of 3rd through 7 picks, it would be like going to that mock draft site where you can trade your picks and end up with like 25 or so.