dusktreader

Reaction score
plyka":1bszo9c2 said:
For those of you saying:

Seahawks are a rushing team
Seahawks are a defensive team
The way this offense plays is all planned

etc etc etc

No one is comparing Wilson with Manning or Brady. The argument is not that Wilson should throw it a million times. The argument is Wilson compared to...WILSON!

This year in the regular season (including the bad 4 games at the end), Wilson has a QB Rating of 101.2

Over the last 5 games (last 4 of the regular season and 1 playoff) his QB Rating is 77.5. This is including a good performance against the Rams where he had a QB rating of 102.1. In that game he only threw for 172 yards. Yet he got a QB rating of 101.2! You see, we are not talking about massive yards here, or massive TD numbers, etc. We are talking about EFFICIENCY. He doesn't need 400 yards to get a QB rating of 100+. He just needs to be efficient.

And that's what has fallen off. Over the last 5 games he has a QB rating of 77.5. If the HAwks are going to win the SuperBowl, that number is going to have to get back to 100 or so. His career average. Again, no one is talking about massive numbers, we are talking about EFFICIENCY.

His completion percentage over the last 5 games: 56.5%. That is VERY LOW. Especially when you consider that for most of the year it was 65%+.

This team cannot have 3 and out followed by 3 and out --as they did in the 2nd half of the Saints game. REgardless of just how good this defense is, no defense can hold back if your offense is giving the opposition possession after possession. Just not going to happen.

This is the point I've been feeling during all this back-and-forth about the offense. I can't buy into the folks saying don't worry, it's all in the plan because I've watched Russell play below his capability for a few weeks. At the same time, I don't buy into all the 'Bevell Sucks, Russell, Sucks, WRs suck' hype either. That's just plain not true. What I'm worried about is that Russell *is* struggling, and I've been waiting anxiously for him to get back on track.

Now, as stressed as I was during last weeks game, I knew that I was watching QBs struggling with weather. So, I write that game off. Looking at the 4-5 games before that, though, and I see Russell looking a little jumpier and less accurate than I am comfortable with.

I don't see any way to gurantee the outcome of Sunday one way or another regardless of circumstance. Both teams are way to good to write-off based on single factors. This will be a tough game. Even if the score ends up lopsided, going into it, this is a very good matchup.

Now, I'm just trying to be excited about watching the Seahawks play in the NFCCG for the first time since 2005. Breathe through the worries...Russell will be back in full form!

CANHawk

Reaction score
plyka":i9ldrxw5 said:
For those of you saying:

etc etc etc

No one is comparing Wilson with Manning or Brady. The argument is not that Wilson should throw it a million times. The argument is Wilson compared to...WILSON!

This year in the regular season (including the bad 4 games at the end), Wilson has a QB Rating of 101.2

Over the last 5 games (last 4 of the regular season and 1 playoff) his QB Rating is 77.5. This is including a good performance against the Rams where he had a QB rating of 102.1. In that game he only threw for 172 yards. Yet he got a QB rating of 101.2! You see, we are not talking about massive yards here, or massive TD numbers, etc. We are talking about EFFICIENCY. He doesn't need 400 yards to get a QB rating of 100+. He just needs to be efficient.

And that's what has fallen off. Over the last 5 games he has a QB rating of 77.5. If the HAwks are going to win the SuperBowl, that number is going to have to get back to 100 or so. His career average. Again, no one is talking about massive numbers, we are talking about EFFICIENCY.

His completion percentage over the last 5 games: 56.5%. That is VERY LOW. Especially when you consider that for most of the year it was 65%+.

This team cannot have 3 and out followed by 3 and out --as they did in the 2nd half of the Saints game. REgardless of just how good this defense is, no defense can hold back if your offense is giving the opposition possession after possession. Just not going to happen.

All legit points. Watching those games though, it feels like the offense is under strict orders to not give the ball away over the final games of the season. I don't have any numbers (maybe somebody with access to some advanced stats could help me out) but it feels like Russell has put a LOT of balls into the third row and conceeded a lot of coverage sacks. Like he doesn't even want to consider risking the turnover so he gets rid of it or takes a dive. Not sure where this line of thinking would have come from after the first NOLA game, where he looked like he was flinging it around pretty free and easy, but it looks to me like something changed.

As for last week... I think the weather had a TON to do with it, The ball was being blown off course on the long snap for punts for god's sake. Those were ugly conditions for throwing the football, so they opted to keep it safe and sound with Marshawn. Losing Harvin and Golden Tate likely having an undiagnosed concussion probably didn't help much either (he looked dazed and confused out there).

I think things reverse this week though. I think they take the governor off and let the offense run. But I'm an optimist, so I'm clearly a fool...

CANHawk

Reaction score
dusktreader":1mdre0l3 said:
Now, I'm just trying to be excited about watching the Seahawks play in the NFCCG for the first time since 2005. Breathe through the worries...Russell will be back in full form!

Attaboy. Let the sunshine in and enjoy this ride. :D

Anthony!

Reaction score
plyka":2v0wemqb said:
For those of you saying:

etc etc etc

The problem is those numbers a skewed by 1 hail mary INT, and 1 freak int that really was not an INT. Take them out and his games are not as bad as you think. Also add in drops have increased in the last 5 games. All that said I agree with you however, while I agree RW has some of the blame, I believe as do others, there are other things and people to blame, for example play calling, wr, o-line, game plan etc. Fix those I think the rest wiil be fixed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
dusktreader":1e54r0vz said:
plyka":1e54r0vz said:
For those of you saying:

etc etc etc

This is the point I've been feeling during all this back-and-forth about the offense. I can't buy into the folks saying don't worry, it's all in the plan because I've watched Russell play below his capability for a few weeks. At the same time, I don't buy into all the 'Bevell Sucks, Russell, Sucks, WRs suck' hype either. That's just plain not true. What I'm worried about is that Russell *is* struggling, and I've been waiting anxiously for him to get back on track.

Now, as stressed as I was during last weeks game, I knew that I was watching QBs struggling with weather. So, I write that game off. Looking at the 4-5 games before that, though, and I see Russell looking a little jumpier and less accurate than I am comfortable with.

I don't see any way to gurantee the outcome of Sunday one way or another regardless of circumstance. Both teams are way to good to write-off based on single factors. This will be a tough game. Even if the score ends up lopsided, going into it, this is a very good matchup.

OKay but here is the thing, if you do not buy into it could be the WR, the play calling, the o-line, the game plan , all of which there are facts to support them as being the reason, then you are left with it is RW period. Something there is ample proof to show that is not the case. For me I think it is all of the above, I think our WR do not get open on their own much, I think the o-line at best is ok, the play calling has been according to PC conservative, and when you are conservative you are also predictable, and I think RW has been a little off out of frustration. The good part if all of this is fixable, the question is will they.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2gstbodn said:
Cartire":2gstbodn said:
And the whole take Lynch away and were screwed is so contrived. We've seen all season that statement. Every game. Take lynch away and RW opens up completely.
Yeah! Look at how Wilson smoked the Cardinals defense in our house!

It's not hard to open up completely against an average defense...You can't get away with that garbage against an elite one a lot of the time.

Fair point Roland. That game is an outlier in the big picture though, don't you think? In most cases where Lynch has been contained, Russell usually has stepped up (along with our receivers) and generated offense.

The two biggest factors that have been working well for our offense this year but have disappeared as of late, are 1) the explosive play and 2) 3rd down conversion. Whether it be a long run called back for a hold or a pass that's over thrown, our offense simply hasn't gotten it done of late. Russell's drop off in yards on the ground is noticeable as well.

Something that can quickly turn in our favor in my opinion and I think that's why I don't sense a ton of concern out of Russell even when questioned about his play as of late.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Cartire":357m42o3 said:
RolandDeschain":357m42o3 said:
Cartire":357m42o3 said:
And the whole take Lynch away and were screwed is so contrived. We've seen all season that statement. Every game. Take lynch away and RW opens up completely.

It's not hard to open up completely against an average defense...You can't get away with that garbage against an elite one a lot of the time.

So one game is enough to prove your point. But all the rest of the games to prove my point are not, got it. Just wanted to make sure how this worked.
touche but considering our upcoming opponent... U could see why some folks aren't just 'enjoying the ride' right?

Admittedly, I am not a knowledgeable fan.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Cartire":1i6qlf7h said:
AbsolutNET":1i6qlf7h said:
Having a discussion about a concern doesn't equate to "freaking out."

When some thread titles are "we won't win if our offense doesn't get better"

That's more then a "concern".

Concern seems to be the flavor of the week word to justify "chicken littling" as the OP put it.

This is the thing that was ridiculous. I understand that there is obviously a better chance to win if both the offense and defense are really good.

What doesn't fly is that it's somehow an automatic loss if the passing game is as insignificant as it was against the Saints. It's not.

Even in the playoffs a team can suck it up, be -3 in the turnover category and still win. Nothing is automatic.

Cartire

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":3veuuzi7 said:
Cartire":3veuuzi7 said:
RolandDeschain":3veuuzi7 said:
Cartire":3veuuzi7 said:

So one game is enough to prove your point. But all the rest of the games to prove my point are not, got it. Just wanted to make sure how this worked.
touche but considering our upcoming opponent... U could see why some folks aren't just 'enjoying the ride' right?

Admittedly, I am not a knowledgeable fan.

I agree that SF is tough at D. Also why I believe we'll see a similar low scoring offense. But if they sell out to stop lynch, RW will burn them. Otherwise, Lynch will have his normal game and the passing game will be contained like it has, and we win regardless.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
cartire":ux6fja9o said:
I agree that SF is tough at D. Also why I believe we'll see a similar low scoring offense. But if they sell out to stop lynch, RW will burn them. Otherwise, Lynch will have his normal game and the passing game will be contained like it has, and we win regardless.
If they manage to stop Lynch, we have Baldwin, Tate, and sometimes Chop. Their LBs will probably keep Zach at bay most of the time. Russ needs to take off if those guys aren't getting open early in the play IMO. As much as we practice the scramble drill it really isn't producing much these last 5-6 games so in the spirit of the NFCCG... RUN RUSSEL RUN!

Laloosh

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1148vsz4 said:
cartire":1148vsz4 said:
If they manage to stop Lynch, we have Baldwin, Tate, and sometimes Chop. Their LBs will probably keep Zach at bay most of the time. Russ needs to take off if those guys aren't getting open early in the play IMO. As much as we practice the scramble drill it really isn't producing much these last 5-6 games so in the spirit of the NFCCG... RUN RUSSEL RUN!

Actually, I think Luke Willson seems to be a better mismatch against that line backing corps (particularly 1:1 against Willis). He burned Willis twice in week 14. I hope to see him used more this week.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":kjhgfjbu said:
Actually, I think Luke Willson seems to be a better mismatch against that line backing corps (particularly 1:1 against Willis). He burned Willis twice in week 14. I hope to see him used more this week.

Definitely! Totally forgot to mention Luke!

Smellyman

Reaction score
Playing to this teams strengths, running game and D is smart.

The "fuss" is because I have never seen a more dynamic qb than RW in a long time and he is also a big strength to this team. Seems they are muting a huge strength. He is smart enough to make plays without turnovers. People want to see him unleashed a bit more.

People want to see us play to ALL of the strengths. D, Lynch AND RW. don't leave one out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2k6tu0j2 said:
Fair point Roland. That game is an outlier in the big picture though, don't you think?
How many outliers does it take before they're not outliers anymore?

23 points scored @ NY with FIVE turnovers against a team with nothing to play for. 10 points against an elite defense in our own house. 17 @ S.F.

Just food for thought...

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":34kxkmon said:
E.C. Laloosh":34kxkmon said:
Fair point Roland. That game is an outlier in the big picture though, don't you think?
How many outliers does it take before they're not outliers anymore?

23 points scored @ NY with FIVE turnovers against a team with nothing to play for. 10 points against an elite defense in our own house. 17 @ S.F.

Just food for thought...

No question that they're not in full stride. As I said, fair point.