Why isn't Carpenter starting in the conditioning program?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I found an interesting bit in the CBA that might explain this:

Section 6. Pre-Training Camp Period: During the period beginning with the end of the offseason program and ending with the mandatory reporting date for preseason training camp, no player shall be permitted to participate in any organized workouts or organized football activity of any kind, or any football activity with any coach, on either a voluntary or involuntary basis, in connection with or on behalf of the Club or a Club Affiliate. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, during the five consecutive days immediately prior to the mandatory veteran reporting date for each Club’s preseason training camp (as specified in Article 23, Section 5), no veteran player (other than (i) quarterbacks and (ii) other players who (1) were on the Injured Reserve, Physically Una-ble to Perform or Nonfootball Injury or Illness list at the end of the previous season; or (2) failed a physical examination given by a team physician at any time after the last game of the previous season; or (3) sustained a football-related or nonfootball-related injury or illness during the offseason; or (4) had surgery during the offseason regarding a football or nonfootball-related condition regardless of when such condition arose) shall be per-mitted to participate in any organized workouts or other organized football activity of any kind, or any football activity with any coach, on either a voluntary or involuntary basis, in connection with or on behalf of the Club or Club Affiliate. (Except that a player in categories (ii)(1)–(4) above who fully participates in all Phase Three activities and the Mandatory Veteran Minicamp during the club’s offseason workout program shall not be permitted to participate during this five day period.) This prohibition shall apply notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, or any provision in any Player Contract. Notwithstanding the above, nothing in this Section shall prevent any player from using any Club facility, subject to League rules and the Club’s permission, to work out on his own at any time on a voluntary basis without the participation of any coach, trainer or other Club personnel. Nothing in this Section shall prohibit organized player activity in personal appearances or promotional activities on behalf of the Club or the League that the player has agreed to.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to cut Sweezy so much slack, but what he has done, for where he came from, is nothing short of phenomenal. That little chop on Willis definitely opened up the play for Lynch. Thanks for pointing out Sweezy's play. Eager to see if Carp can come back and keep the body working.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
This preseason will prove exciting for us sexy men interested in the OLine.

Carp needs to stay on the field and get his footwork down. He is stronger than a musk ox, but got by with that in college. The pro game requires preparation and detail. He has ProBowlers on each side of him. He needs to work his fat ass off and he can be a difference maker. Think Iupati pulling across the line. Think of how much better Lynch is than Gore. Boner.

Sweazy and Moffitt will be settled between who works the hardest. The left over will join McQ as a back up along the line.

debevemos

Reaction score
As others have pointed out, what Sweezy has been able to accomplish in the time he's spent at the position is pretty incredible at this level. Imagining a further developed Sweezy and a healthy Carp manning the guard positions, and I think you can imagine why PC and JS like these guys so much. That would be a very intimidating O-line to go up against and with Moffit and McQ as back ups, creates a really solid group.

Jville

Reaction score
Sweezy ........ I thought he made incredible progress in learning and adapting to an all new role. I liked what I saw in his run blocking. Year two should feature greater understanding of exotice blitz and stunts. It's been a pleasure to enjoy Seezy's development and I look forward to year two.

Carpenter ........ My impression is that he must improve his lower body flexibility before he can fit in with the other starters. It seems pointless to risk yet another injury or burden other starters until Carpenter possesses the requisite flexibility and sufficient lateral quickness.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hoping Carpenter has an injury free career from here on out. If that happens, we have ourselves an outstanding O-Guard.

Latest posts