Why isn't Carpenter starting in the conditioning program?

Basis4day

Reaction score
He needs to earn his spot back. Compete in camp, then see who starts. Simple as that.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I woudn't read much into it. I think it's pretty standard for NFL teams to have the starting offensive line from the last game of the previous season begin the off-season mini-camps as the starting line. It's like a sign of respect to the veterans, as well as sending a message to the non-starters that they have to work hard and earn a starters job. And Carpenter could use all the motivation and tough love he can get given his previous conditioning issues. I expect this will change quickly as training camp starts, and Carpenter will be the staring left guard one week into training camp. The question for the Hawks then becomes whether McQ becomes the starter at right guard or they leave Sweezy as the starter at right guard.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yeah, all he's saying is who the starters were to end last season. No one's being handed a starting job during off-season conditioning.

#AlwaysCompete

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
From what I've seen he's doing well, rehabbing, leg is getting strong, working on his weight with a chef/nutritionist. I think he's going to have a bounce back year.

But yea, he's going to have to earn that job and beat McQ.

MLTHawk

Reaction score
No one's handed a job in Seattle. Always comPETE!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
woudlnt sleep on sweezy, he was a rookie last year at a new position. saying he 'sucks' based on that is sorta unfair. if he doesn't get a chance, how is he going to improve?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
razgriz737":yv07sxyf said:
CALIHAWK1":yv07sxyf said:
Then why is Sweezey at RG? He sucks.
'Cause he sucks less than Moffit, apparently.
Or... just as much, considering they split time/possessions at the end of the season.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Considering he's only played 1 season @ Guard I think Sweezy is going to make a HUGE jump in consistency and production and take over the RG spot. If that happens than we'll have an extremely athletic and punishing OL. I hope he takes that job. I think he has a much higher upside than Moffitt.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":10m8nfpg said:
Then why is Sweezey at RG? He sucks.

Regardless of what you think of him, he earned the position.... Clearly PC feels he should be listed as the starter currently.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I still cant believe Moffitt didn't take RG as his. In competition with a rookie who was playing D-line the year before? Wow

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3g7gace0 said:
Considering he's only played 1 season @ Guard I think Sweezy is going to make a HUGE jump in consistency and production and take over the RG spot. If that happens than we'll have an extremely athletic and punishing OL. I hope he takes that job. I think he has a much higher upside than Moffitt.

He better. Because it wasn't pretty last season.

sutz

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":4id1nde1 said:
I still cant believe Moffitt didn't take RG as his. In competition with a rookie who was playing D-line the year before? Wow
Moffitt is hardly a 10 year vet. He was in his second (third?) season, coming off injury.

:229031_shrug:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sweezy is starting because he is an excellent athlete with long arms, minimal gut, a nasty streak and bigtime upside. He carries 300+ so well, compare his jawline to Moffit's. Sweezy was able to start NFL games as a rook at a brand new position , think about that learning curve he overcame, the upside is massive with Cable helping him.

Watch the Marshawn TD @ 6:20 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9DUm7EM2oo

- not many interior olinemen can get to the 2nd level that fast. Willis clearly isn't used to OGs that move that well and he gets chopped down by Sweezy. That shows of his athleticism for the position.

Watch this Marshawn TD @ 8:20 to see Sweezy's raw power in the run game. Totally forklifts that Falcons starting DT back and over. This kids upside under Tom Cable is immense.