Why I Think Broncos Will Win

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
The Broncos are going to get mauled. I have the utmost of respect for Peyton Manning, but it's obvious that he has issues with arm strength right now. I don't see their offense scoring more than maybe 13-16 points. Carolina's going to run away with this one, I fear.

Would love to be wrong, though. I want to see Sad Cam with a towel on his head and a dejected expression on his face.

RussB

Reaction score
I think it all depends on how peyton manning plays. If he is good like he was in the first quarter against the pats , they can win . Denvers defense is very good at getting pressure on the QB and has talib and harris jr covering guys. The defense will do their job , peyton just needs to throw some Td's .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RussB":blwwvuze said:
I think it all depends on how peyton manning plays. If he is good like he was in the first quarter against the pats , they can win . Denvers defense is very good at getting pressure on the QB and has talib and harris jr covering guys. The defense will do their job , peyton just needs to throw some Td's .

If Denver has any chance of winning, they have to at least run a little..........and complete a couple big plays downfield.

If the Panthers have a weakness right now, it's a banged up secondary. So there could be some plays made downfield, if grandpa Manning can throw it further than 20 yards.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Cam is just one man....The guy had 7 games where he had less than an 80 Qb rating this year. Is anyone actually afraid of Ted Gin Jr, Funchess and who knows who else in their WR core.

People acting like this Panthers offense is the 07 Pats or 98 Vikings lol please.

Stewart is a good RB but just another guy. Honestly if they can get to Cam and limit Olsen I dont see the Panther offense doing much of anything. Olson had 33 more catches than the #2 (Ginn) and had almost 400 more yards than him too. The Pats are/were pretty similar too with Gronk except Gronk is a freak and on a whole other level over Olsen, as good as Olsen is. They were double and triple teaming Gronk and he still caught some balls at the end although they held him in check for most of the game.

Correct me if im wrong since I didnt watch most of our game against them but Newton seemingly has had all day in the pocket in both games. What happens when Denver gets pressure over and over. Brady got hit the most he has ever bit hit in his entire career and was pressured almost every single time he dropped back. That was also with a 4 or sometimes 3 man rush.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13p7trro said:
HawkGA":13p7trro said:
P.S. I also think it will help that if there is anything to the "NFL wants X outcome and the officiating reflects it," it will be to having Manning ride off into the sunset as a Super Bowl Champion.

Not that I want to provide ANY validity in any direction to this line of thinking, but even if stuff like this was true, wouldn't the NFL prefer a "passing of the guard" story line in which a former "best QB" and league MVP in his last moments had to pass the torch to the current MVP and the "future of the league?"

This is the problem IMO with this type of conspiratorial thinking, as just as easily as you can come up with a conspiratorial reason why the league wants a "going out on top" narrative I can come up with a conspiratorial reason why the league wants a "passing of the guard" narrative.

Passing of the guard?

In 2012, the torch should have been handed from Ray Lewis to Patrick Willis.

Evidently it was more important to get the murdered another Lombardi than to get one of the classiest NFL players ever his first.

Sickening.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1v8l92ej said:
HawkGA":1v8l92ej said:
So here's where I come down generally on that line of thinking (not the conspiracy but the preferred narrative). I think people often make mistakes, usually for short-sighted reasons. I think we see this all the time when people talk about how leagues do better when big market teams are in the Super Bowl (or World Series or NBA Finals, or whatever). So I think you're right that a changing of the guard storyline might actually be better. But I don't think that's what the NFL would want (again, not saying they would actually try to influence the game, just what PR people would prefer). The reason is that thye know what they have from a marketing position with Peyton. Cam is an unknown relatively speaking.

The NFL's marketing position with Manning is over with the expiration of the game clock regardless of who wins. He's retiring. It's non-factor.

HawkGA":1v8l92ej said:
The big market thing works the same way. Leagues like to see big rating THIS season. But what they ignore is that by having smaller market teams with a chance to win it all, you gain a greater depth of interest in your sport. This pays dividends over the long run, even if it means lower ratings today. Same thing. Cam will probably pay greater dividends over the long run for the league (aside from the obvious "Peyton is retiring (probably) so there aren't really future dividends there anyway") but I think Peyton makes more bank right now.

Neither of them are making the league any money right now, as ad slots for the Super Bowl were sold off way, way before anyone had any idea who was playing in it.

Even if you want to make an argument about future ad sale rates and different teams' abilities to draw in viewership, once you're down to two team which team wins is meaningless.

In terms of the NFL's preferred narrative it basically comes down to four words: Fun, Exciting, Safe, Fair.

All this other narrative stuff matters for talking heads and fans. Luckily for them they're well equipped with cliche narratives regardless of what happens.
Did you know that Bettis was retiring after XL*..................... And he was from Detroit? 8)

kearly

Reaction score
Carolina is the better team, and I'd expect Vegas to favor them, especially after the results this past weekend. However, I think Denver has a good chance to pull the upset due to them winning a few crucial matchups.

The biggest strength for Denver's offense is their receivers. And the biggest weakness for Carolina is their secondary, Josh Norman be damned. Manning will struggle throwing into windows but he might not have to do that much if his 2nd and 3rd options are getting wide open the way the matchups suggest they will.

I'm not predicting that Denver will light Carolina up, but I think they have a good chance for 20+.

On the flipside, Denver's defense compares very well to the 2013 Seahawks defense. They are virtually tied in DVOA with that Hawks defense and are strong in every area without any exploitable weaknesses. With apologies to the Seahawks and Cardinals defenses this year, Carolina has not faced a defense like Denver's since they played Seattle's defense (and got shut down) in 2013.

Carolina is the better team, but there is a path to victory for Denver if they can control the game with high percentage throws and rely on their defense to hold the Panthers under 20, like they just did to New England.

And as we all know, top defenses usually beat top offenses in the Super Bowl.

SF49r

Reaction score
Broncos to wear white uniforms confirmed yep they are winning

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
They’ve had equal success in their blue uniforms, winning one to cap the 1997 season in blue and one to end 1998 in white. But they’ve struggled in orange, losing to the Cowboys (1977), Washington (1987), San Francisco (1989), and Seattle (2013) wearing the blend of red and yellow.

And so it’s likely more about not wearing orange (0-4) than wearing white, in which the Broncos are 1-1, the jersey color when losing to the Giants in 1986.

To the extent that any of this matters (and it doesn’t), the Panthers may welcome the chance not to wear white. Twelve years ago, they lost their only Super Bowl appearance in white jerseys.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":15l8gweu said:
Carolina is the better team, and I'd expect Vegas to favor them, especially after the results this past weekend. However, I think Denver has a good chance to pull the upset due to them winning a few crucial matchups.

The biggest strength for Denver's offense is their receivers. And the biggest weakness for Carolina is their secondary, Josh Norman be damned. Manning will struggle throwing into windows but he might not have to do that much if his 2nd and 3rd options are getting wide open the way the matchups suggest they will.

I'm not predicting that Denver will light Carolina up, but I think they have a good chance for 20+.

On the flipside, Denver's defense compares very well to the 2013 Seahawks defense. They are virtually tied in DVOA with that Hawks defense and are strong in every area without any exploitable weaknesses. With apologies to the Seahawks and Cardinals defenses this year, Carolina has not faced a defense like Denver's since they played Seattle's defense (and got shut down) in 2013.

Carolina is the better team, but there is a path to victory for Denver if they can control the game with high percentage throws and rely on their defense to hold the Panthers under 20, like they just did to New England.

This. Have people forgotten that the #1 D nearly always wins these matchups? IF Denver does as kearly has said offensively and limit turnovers to one or none as well as find a way to limit Greg Olsen catching and Cam running defensively they win this. It's a tall order, but this D is badassed.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1mm25ifr said:
kearly":1mm25ifr said:

This. Have people forgotten that the #1 D nearly always wins these matchups? IF Denver does as kearly has said offensively and limit turnovers to one or none as well as find a way to limit Greg Olsen catching and Cam running defensively they win this. It's a tall order, but this D is badassed.

Panthers D is good too, but heavily reliant on turnovers. They were #1 in the league in takeaways this year. If Denver can have a turnover free game I think that Panther D will be exposed a bit

TriCHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":xk0x4grj said:
They’ve had equal success in their blue uniforms, winning one to cap the 1997 season in blue and one to end 1998 in white. But they’ve struggled in orange, losing to the Cowboys (1977), Washington (1987), San Francisco (1989), and Seattle (2013) wearing the blend of red and yellow.

And so it’s likely more about not wearing orange (0-4) than wearing white, in which the Broncos are 1-1, the jersey color when losing to the Giants in 1986.

To the extent that any of this matters (and it doesn’t), the Panthers may welcome the chance not to wear white. Twelve years ago, they lost their only Super Bowl appearance in white jerseys.

Isn't there some streak going with the team wearing white winning? I remember seeing something about it when the Hawks played 2 years ago, and of course NE last year :pukeface: so it's still going.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":wie3fv50 said:
I don't know. Cam just doesn't impress me as a passer. He just doesn't. The Free Safety for Arizona had an awful day, AW-FUL. And you and I could make that 20 yard post route pass to a wide open receiver with all night in the pocket.

Denver's defense is for real. I can see this one being a fist fight. Denver can generate pressure up the middle with Wolfe, and at times Miller looks unblockable.

Carolina can be run on, too. Arizona's rookie RB had what, 80 yards rushing going into the 3rd quarter, and that's not really what Arizona does.

Thomas Davis is injured, will be playing I guess, but I just see their backups and Shaq (all talk no go) Thompson getting trucked by Denver's RB's.

I was impressed with what Dever did limiting a decent WR corp yesterday of Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, and co. I think they'll take Olson away, Talib will take the next "no name" away, and they'll make Cam make pro passes.

I don't see it happening. I think this will be a lower scoring game, 28-24 or something like it.

If Denver can get over 100 yards rushing and doesn't muff a punt, or throw rando pick sixes, I can see them winning.
The reason the secondary had an awful day is because Newton's run ability and all the things they run off of it. It forces them to concentrate on another threat.

I agree with you that Denver has a truly elite defense, but the issues Cam presents to pass defense do not start and end with his pocket passing. Not even close.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The only thing beating Denver is if PM chokes as he tends to do in big games,if he is average they will win.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Here's what I think -- bottom line. With the way that Carolina is playing right now, beating them looks like a fairly tall order. However, that defense of the Broncos gives them a fighting chance. I think that it all boils down to 1 real key question ...

Can the Broncos Offensive Line give Peyton Manning adequate protection in this game?

Football Outsiders has Denver's OL ranked #13 in terms of Pass Protection, so they're not bad overall. And IMO they're going to have to excel against this Panther Front 7 in order to have any chance in this game, as Peyton Manning at this point in his career simply doesn't have the arm to be able to beat defenses by himself anymore. Their OL is going to have to play better than they did against the Patriots, that's for sure.

To me, the match-up that I circle is right there in the interior of that offensive line. Can Matt Paradis, Evan Mathis,and Louis Vasquez hold their own against Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei?

If the answer is yes and they give Manning time, then I give the Broncos a shot. If not and they allow those guys to penetrate in to the backfield and disrupt -- then it's over. Bottom line.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Don't you just hate it when people bump threads to show they were right? I know I do. And I'll readily admit that if Carolina had won, I would not be bumping this thread to show I was wrong.

Polaris

Reaction score
HawkGA":1zwgf7c1 said:
Don't you just hate it when people bump threads to show they were right? I know I do. And I'll readily admit that if Carolina had won, I would not be bumping this thread to show I was wrong.

I give you full props for being dead right. Carolina was a young and frankly immature team that played MILES above their head all year long and finally choked and got exposed on the biggest stage.

Optimus25

Reaction score
HawkGA":16ucqc8i said:

I've always said and continue to advocate bumping is much more interesting than the alternative.

Keeps posters honest, cause frankly, any BS just gets mixed in the muck and then drowns three pages deep never to resurface.

But assessing yesterday's perspective is the one thing drastically missing from these forums on a consistent basis.

NINEster

Reaction score
I had a feeling Denver would win but not by this much. All signs pointed to it -- overconfidence on Carolina's part -- that combined with the recent Bronco SB loss, they would be the much more veteran team in this game, and it showed.

Felt the Broncos offense would not be able to do much, but I forgot that turnovers deep in enemy territory almost always translates to big points.

Latest posts