Why I can't respect Cam Newton

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm just glad we won't be seeing the panthers forum lurkers for a long time.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Not a Cam fan but some of these comments are harsh. That Denver D made Brady look pedestrian too and Cam doesn't have anywhere near the talent at receiver Brady does.

I don't blame him for being upset during his press conference. Hard to judge someone for sulking after having their dreams shattered. Cam has been terrific in the community for years and an emotional presser shouldn't eclipse that.

There is no defending him not going all out to recover that fumble but it has no bearing on his having a spectacular year and deserving the MVP.

Polaris

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3vq9b6ws said:
Not a Cam fan but some of these comments are harsh. That Denver D made Brady look pedestrian too and Cam doesn't have anywhere near the talent at receiver Brady does.

I don't blame him for being upset during his press conference. Hard to judge someone for sulking after having their dreams shattered. Cam has been terrific in the community for years and an emotional presser shouldn't eclipse that.

There is no defending him not going all out to recover that fumble but it has no bearing on his having a spectacular year and deserving the MVP.

I disagree. If you want to be the best and be acknowledged by your peers as the best, then you should act the part win or lose. Not going for a critical fumble (and even backing away) shows that Cam has no heart when times are hard (and that's not exactly a new knock on him). If he hadn't tooted his own horn so hard before, the blowback might not be so bad, but he did and it is....and deservedly so. Look at Russell WIlson last year. He clearly hates to lose but did so with class. For that matter look at him, or Peyton Manning, or any of the greats. No way ANY of them don't try on that fumble play in the most important game of the year and possibly for the Panthers the most important drive of the most important game.

It does matter. A lot.

olyfan63

Reaction score
ACTUALLY, CAM'S POUTING ACT LOSING THE SUPER BOWL IS A GREAT THING FOR THE GAME.
It teaches that arrogance and showboating look very phony when not backed up by performance.
And even phonier when inevitable defeat is dealt with by pouting and sulking.
Ah, the delightful Schadenfraude of it all!! Cam goes DOWN!! IN FLAMES!!

As much as I have backed Cam and his growth, that excellent Denver D sure put the screws to him, and Cam did not handle it well.

All his life, Cam has been told he is a football God, that his physical talent is enough. Then in the NFL he found out it wasn't. So he worked at developing the mental side of his game. He started turning into a real quarterback, reading defenses even. Surely, basic NFL QB competency plus his incredible physical talents should be enough to win a Super Bowl, he thought. Oops, no that wasn't enough YET either. So we get to see the sulking and pouting Cam again.

What more could the NFL possibly ask for? People love to hate. Cam has given them more to hate by acting like a big baby after losing. Now he can do even more for the NFL through the potential storylines of A) Growth and redemption; a humbled Cam goes to work on his QB skills more than his showboating skills, and returns two years later---er, I mean, at age 40, after Russell has retired, to finally win the Super Bowl. Storyline B) The "my way" storyline, a defiant Cam changes nothing, but has the good fortune to see the NE Patriots defense in the Super Bowl instead of Denver's awesome defense, and performs well and wins.

Cam revealed that he's still a big baby inside when things don't go his way. Not that I blame him; it's a very human reaction.

Maybe he'll learn the lesson and mature. Maybe he'll get a knee injury that wipes out his running and have to really work at becoming a great QB between the ears. Maybe a knee injury would turn him into the second coming of Trent Dilfer. (The only Super Bowl winning QB to be cut by his team the following season) Oops, never mind, Cam would have to WIN a SB first to keep comany with *Trent Dilfer*.

The NFL could not have written a better script, a more emotionally engaging script. To top it off, game manager Peyton Manning wins another Super Bowl. Peyton Manning and the Broncos offense do the "Denver Dance - 1, 2, 3 - Kick! 1, 2, 3 - Kick!" and still win.

The slightly sad part is the ALSO AWESOME Carolina defense played their asses off, conducted themselves with heart and class overall, and wind up on the losing end. About the only thing Carolina's defense failed to do was score.

In fairness to Cam, a couple of the turnovers, fumbles, were not on him.
In fairness to Cam, Panthers OC Mike Shula did not seem to be able to make adjustments to cope with Denver's D game plan.
In fairness to Mike Shula, Cam may not be mature enough as a QB to handle adjustments, like changing mid stream to an up-tempo offense, or to short passing.

Whither goes Cam? The way of Colin Kaepernick and RGIII, or the way of John Elway?
Should make for good drama next season. In any case, the NFL wins big, once again.

Smellyman

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":rfgk5hau said:
Why I can't respect Cam Newton

Russell Wilson would NEVER do this.

X6h0r4

I am sure a lot teammates lost respect for him as well.

seahawksny

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2dfzoqyt said:
baumer64":2dfzoqyt said:
twisted_steel2":2dfzoqyt said:
I havent seen the post game presser, but people on Twitter are talking about it. Guess he's not helping himself at all. :Dunno:
Here's a link to an article that has a video of his presser. He's sitting there with hood up pouting and giving one word answers then gets up and leaves. NOT showing leadership.
http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/ ... _loss.html
Excellent.

Just watched. If I were one of those reporters I would have asked him something like
Do u plan on answering any of these questions, are you just going to sit here and waste our time?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Have to admit, I backed Cam's enjoyment of the game the last few weeks. But I really think he let his team and fans down with his behavior in losing.

You can do both. You can go out and dab or whatever and have a great time winning... and be gracious, respectful and mature in losing.

I was wrong about him as a personality, and a QB

drdiags

Reaction score
The Panthers as a whole picked the wrong week to exhale. It happens but they will be kicking themselves for quite awhile. Dropped pick-6, dropped passes, brain fart on Special teams. If they win that game, they are a force to deal with. Now they have to deal with their own demons.

Cam had an opportunity to get their course correction back in line with their hopes but he missed that chance. Same as the team missed out on winning it all for the franchise. Denver's defense had a lot to do with it, so kudos to them but Carolina let a team that gained 194 yds total beat them.

Ouch!

CPHawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3fnemp09 said:
Russell Wilson would NEVER do this.

X6h0r4

Great quote from TJ Ward

“If he would have touched that ball, I was gonna hit him right in his face, and I wasn’t the only one,” said safety T.J. Ward, who eventually came up with the loose ball. “And I don’t know—maybe he needed to stay healthy for next year.”

CPHawk

Reaction score
"We let them do all the talking. We let our pads talk. We talk with our helmets and our shoulder pads," Ward told The USA Today. "They could do all the media talking, you know what I'm talking about? We're not about that flashy stuff. We're about that grind, putting in that work. Grind it. Work. That's how you get the 'ship. They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football."

And here is a tweet by Wade Phillips haha

A little Dab with do you but too much Dab will undo you!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Cam Newton is a self-centered and it bit him in the tail.

He learned a valuable lesson, when you make it all about you - then when you fail? YOU are to blame.

Leading up the game he kept saying things like "They have never seen anyone like ME" or "I shouldn't be compared to Lebron James, Lebron James should be compared to me."

It was all I & ME crap. Near the tail end of the season, he started getting his team into it. But earlier? His own players couldn't even dance when they scored because Cam would come rushing in to do his idiotic dance.

Then, he had the audacity to state that his detractors were just be racist. Nevermind that the white counterpart with that same behavior is Mr. Manziel (spelling?) a guy that is almost universally hated. People don't like "leaders" that lead by taking all the credit/glory and shoving the blame on others.

I should note that when they asked what went wrong, he listed 2-3 issues that had to do with other teammates and then he mentioned that some of the passes were off target. Didn't even have the decency to acknowledge he was the one passing the ball and so he just needed to be better.

Chapow

Reaction score
This is going to haunt him for a very long time and rightfully so.

A day later and it's still blowing my mind that he actually jumped backwards away from the ball. For most football players it's just instinct to dive on a ball on the ground, but not Cam? It's just bizarre really.

X6h0r4

Polaris

Reaction score
Chapow":1a1ggvf8 said:
This is going to haunt him for a very long time and rightfully so.

A day later and it's still blowing my mind that he actually jumped backwards away from the ball. For most football players it's just instinct to dive on a ball on the ground, but not Cam? It's just bizarre really.

X6h0r4

Honestly this is the first time I have ever seen a football player at any level shy away from a live ball. This tells me everything I need to know about Cam, and it's not like it's a surprise (and not in a good way).

chris98251

Reaction score
Everything on the line, last game of the season, playing to be a champion.............

Eeeeeck the boogie man is coming run away from the fumble..........................................

HawkGA

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2o4kspo2 said:
Leading up the game he kept saying things like "They have never seen anyone like ME" or "I shouldn't be compared to Lebron James, Lebron James should be compared to me."

In fairness, Lebron does kind of choke up in the Finals too, so maybe Cam is like Lebron.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":179xao7r said:
Hasselbeck":179xao7r said:
MizzouHawkGal":179xao7r said:
But he's the MVP? And actually not being Ben Rothliesburger 2005 or Matt Hasselbeck "I want the ball" Despite Russell putting up better numbers. I'm confused now.

So because he didn't dive after a fumble he's suddenly not worthy of the MVP award?

:34853_doh:
Exactly. If you need further explanation I'm totally willing to explain given you aren't in the Wilson camp and it'd entertain me for a day or so.

I know you love Luck. Doesn't it just burn your balls that Wilson can pretty much match Luck number for number and screw him in the ass when it's for real?

Whoah ! Now it's getting sexual. :snack:

Seriously though; I don't like Newton and I think he's mentally weak and emotionally immature. He comes off like a Diva. That said, he won the MVP because he had 47 total TD's and over 30 passing TD's to a WR corps that might not make our practice squad. He only had one real receiving threat in Olson and no one still covered him to the tune of 77 rec for 1107 yds and 7 TD's.

That's why he won the MVP. You take him off that team and they don't make the playoffs, with the 4th best defense in the league, in that toilet they call a division.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
This is what Russell does..
[youtube]5wlaPhrskL4[/youtube]
[youtube]sV_SUncm0DM[/youtube]

253hawk

Reaction score
"I don't dive on 1 fumble because the way my leg was-- it could have been (contorted) in a way. OK, you say my effort. I didn't dive down. I fumbled. That's fine. But we didn't lose that game because of that fumble. I can tell you that."

Cam has now officially stated that he didn't dive on the ball because he didn't want to risk injury. You know, because you're down 6 with four minutes left in the SB. Don't wanna get a boo-boo. MVP my ass, what a joke. This was after Kalil came out and defended him. People can say what they want about Wilson, but you'd never EVER hear him say something like that.

Didn't lose the game because of that fumble? Instead of a game-winning drive, it put Denver up by 14. What a gd moron.

Hawks46":7ob1zcj0 said:
That's why he won the MVP. You take him off that team and they don't make the playoffs, with the 4th best defense in the league, in that toilet they call a division.

His defense created a ton of turnovers, setting up a lot of short fields, coupled with the fact that they played some of the worst passing defenses in the league (and the Saints twice, who were historically bad). I mean, props to them for getting into the end zone and capitalizing, but let's not pretend they were all 80 yard drives.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's a shocking statement, especially in context of the moment and what some of his teammates were playing through just to be in that moment.