Why did we draft Pocic?

kidhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":27gxgc8j said:
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40005753-4

One reason why the Seahawks plan to play both Mark Glowinski and Ethan Pocic on Sunday, according to offensive line coach Tom Cable, is that neither have played enough of late to be in shape for a full game.

How is anyone who practices week in and week out with no health limitations not in game shape at this point in the year? I could understand if a guy had health issues or wasn't on a roster or something, but I don't see that here.

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":2yjlqvmd said:
MontanaHawk05":2yjlqvmd said:

One reason why the Seahawks plan to play both Mark Glowinski and Ethan Pocic on Sunday, according to offensive line coach Tom Cable, is that neither have played enough of late to be in shape for a full game.

How is anyone who practices week in and week out with no health limitations not in game shape at this point in the year? I could understand if a guy had health issues or wasn't on a roster or something, but I don't see that here.

This is Pete's Text to Cable !

H34AEFF17

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd rather see Roos at LG over Glowinski. They tried Glow there already once and failed. Giants have a pretty good DL, this could get ugly fast. This game seemed like a "W" 2 weeks ago, now it seems closer to being "up in the air" type of game. Hopefully the good Seahawk team shows up.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1cpm6a2z said:
I'd rather see Roos at LG over Glowinski. They tried Glow there already once and failed. Giants have a pretty good DL, this could get ugly fast. This game seemed like a "W" 2 weeks ago, now it seems closer to being "up in the air" type of game. Hopefully the good Seahawk team shows up.

Need a fleet of these then.

BackFuturePhoto3.jpg

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":icx8va8l said:
MontanaHawk05":icx8va8l said:

Exactly. This is a huge load of BS. Glowinski was just pulled a couple of weeks ago from being the starter there.

What if Britt goes down? We play Pocic 1/2 game then what? Does Cable even realize the offense doesn't even play 1/2 the game since they have so many 3 and outs?

seedhawk

Reaction score
Too many here overthinking this. It's simple! We drafted Pocic so our esteemed assistant head coach, run game coordinator and o-line coach could have his choice of a brand new puppy he could then consign to his doghouse. :p

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Basically they're preparing us for Glowinski reverting back to his substandard ways. Then they'll bring Roos in. I hope I'm wrong and Glow catches fire and works well with Obi.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2qom3o9f said:
Basically they're preparing us for Glowinski reverting back to his substandard ways. Then they'll bring Roos in. I hope I'm wrong and Glow catches fire and works well with Obi.

It is Glowinski and Pocic they are talking about.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2hxbavdc said:
Siouxhawk":2hxbavdc said:

It is Glowinski and Pocic they are talking about.
Maybe we'll get to see all 3. Really keep them fresh.

LolaRox

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":33dsd7xw said:

Say what?!! Either this is a flat out lie or a complete failure by the coaching staff. Luke having surgery was no surprise, why weren't these guys getting ready to go?

I'm so disappointed in how P/J handle Cable and this OL situation. :pukeface:

hawk45

Reaction score
kidhawk":1q4b4g0r said:
MontanaHawk05":1q4b4g0r said:

I think Cable would be better off giving no explanation than some of the explanations he's given. I'm not sure if he's lying, dumb, or just communicates really really poorly. First the idea that Pocic - the guy we drafted because he was polished and versatile - must be kept in bubble wrap because he can only fill the backup center role. Then this idea that 2 healthy players aren't in game shape a third of the way through the season.

I sincerely hope that he is just blowing smoke. If he's serious about some of the things he says, no wonder the decision-making, talent evaluation, and everything else about that unit are hopeless.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":65yibk5l said:
MontanaHawk05":65yibk5l said:

Game shape is not the same as practice shape.

But if I had to guess, this is Cable's way of skirting the fact that they're not confident with either player, and want to see both play Sunday.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":161b9lhl said:
kidhawk":161b9lhl said:
MontanaHawk05":161b9lhl said:

But if I had to guess, this is Cable's way of skirting the fact that they're not confident with either player, and want to see both play Sunday.

Exactly. This has zero to do with conditioning. Since when do ANY backups come in for an injured player with full game shape ready reps? NEVER. Otherwise they would be a starter.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3j4a6lk1 said:

NFL backups routinely enter the starting lineup and play full games. To me this suggests that the conditioning that occurs outside of games is adequate to prepare a player to play a full NFL game.

I won't argue that being in the starting lineup doesn't help a player time his recovery cycle for peak performance across 3 hours on a Sunday, but I would submit that the actual game itself represents a tiny percentage of total conditioning activities NFL players perform, and thus not being a previous starter is a particularly meager reason for being unable to play a full game. Particularly coming from a coach, whose job entails making certain that backups are conditioned to play a full game should injury occur.

Seymour

Reaction score
Maybe they should change their chant from "next man up"....to "next pair up". :snack:

What is really sad is think how those players in question feel. If it is that obvious to fans, think of how the players feel about being doubted by their own coaches before they even get a real shot in the case of Pocic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":2oy29mlt said:
Sgt. Largent":2oy29mlt said:

NFL backups routinely enter the starting lineup and play full games. To me this suggests that the conditioning that occurs outside of games is adequate to prepare a player to play a full NFL game.

I won't argue that being in the starting lineup doesn't help a player time his recovery cycle for peak performance across 3 hours on a Sunday, but I would submit that the actual game itself represents a tiny percentage of total conditioning activities NFL players perform, and thus not being a previous starter is a particularly meager reason for being unable to play a full game. Particularly coming from a coach, whose job entails making certain that backups are conditioned to play a full game should injury occur.

Like I said, it sounds like more of an excuse to me. I'm sure Glow and/or Pocic would be just fine if they HAD to play a full game.

But in general, especially for backup linemen not getting very many reps during the week? Just stepping in and playing 100% of the snaps is difficult. Especially for a rookie like Pocic.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nu2h3tf said:
hawk45":2nu2h3tf said:
Sgt. Largent":2nu2h3tf said:

Like I said, it sounds like more of an excuse to me. I'm sure Glow and/or Pocic would be just fine if they HAD to play a full game.

But in general, especially for backup linemen not getting very many reps during the week? Just stepping in and playing 100% of the snaps is difficult. Especially for a rookie like Pocic.

I agree, it sounds like they are hedging their bets so that if/when whomever starts the game and doesn't finish, they can say it's just fatigue and not quality of play. There's no reason either of these guys can't be named starter. The only possible explanation I could understand would be that they don't want to show their hand about who is playing, but they could just say that and not answer instead of this type of excuse. It makes both the team and the players look bad. This was not well thought out.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well whatever they decide, the player that starts the 2nd half has a HUGE advantage thanks to Pete and Bevell.

How do they factor in the "it's not how you start" disadvantage to the opening starter?

You'll need Einstein to calculate the formula of who played better for you.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfish":314x7uip said:
Anyone else hoping Pocic takes this chance and runs with it?

Of course, cause "runs with it" means he's good.

Latest posts