Why 11/12 balls?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
StoneCold":i5zwg9un said:
Bobblehead":i5zwg9un said:
StoneCold":i5zwg9un said:
Bobblehead":i5zwg9un said:
There needs to be away of distinguishing the kicking ball from the rest, cause we already know, that Tom can't tell, so they mark the kicking ball with of all things a "k".

I have yet to hear, if that 12th ball on the knoll had a 'k" marked on it.

The refs are in control of the Kicking balls. They are not part of the 12 team balls. My guess is the kid in the bathroom fumbled the gauge once and ran out of time on the 12th ball.

SC

Yes, the refs control the kicking ball, that maybe true, but they still get the balls from the team.

Not according to the rule book.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/ball

SC

Your right, the refs have control of the kicking balls and they are marked with a k and delivered straight from the factory in a tamper proof package.

that said, perhaps, teams don't use all 12 balls, seems they go through the 1st ball until it becomes unusable or lost or what ever and proceed through the next ball until that is deemed unusable...maybe they just never get to the 12 th ball.

http://www.chargers.com/news/2011/08/12 ... al-footing

rigelian

Reaction score
I'm convinced that the best explanation of the ball that fit the requirements is that the guy simply missed the one ball. IOW, human error.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2bfpla7m said:
There needs to be away of distinguishing the kicking ball from the rest, cause we already know, that Tom can't tell, so they mark the kicking ball with of all things a "k".

I have yet to hear, if that 12th ball on the knoll had a 'k" marked on it.

Balls for passing can be scuffed up to improve grip. A ball for punting is better left slick for obvious reasons. To tell them apart is to feel them.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
heard on the radio the 12th ball was actually given away to a fan in the crowd after a TD, so it wasn't accounted for.

2_0_6

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2ywpzise said:
heard on the radio the 12th ball was actually given away to a fan in the crowd after a TD, so it wasn't accounted for.

Yup I heard this also. It was given to a fan by Brandon LafFell...

Wonder how much that thing is worth?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1uibozb1 said:
ZagHawk":1uibozb1 said:

Yup I heard this also. It was given to a fan by Brandon LafFell...

Wonder how much that thing is worth?

The real question is...how much air was in that ball....