Who would you rather have: Carroll or Schneider?

Who would you rather have for the next decade: Carroll or Schneider?

• Pete Carroll

Votes: 48 43.6%
  • John Schneider

Votes: 62 56.4%

• Total voters

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Pstark3":3n90ebkb said:
-The Glove-":3n90ebkb said:
Pstark3":3n90ebkb said:
Wasn't it Schneiders call to bring in PC? If so then Schneider, easily... I trust he'll bring in somebody perfectly suited to replace Carroll when that day comes
No. It was Pete's call to bring in Schneider
The coach picked the GM? That seems backwards... can't believe I never knew that

Yeah. I don't recall it ever happening before but Pete is also VP of Operations so he gets more power than most.

While the Seahawks have a general manager in John Schneider, he serves mainly in an advisory role to Carroll, who has the final say in football matters. In fact, Schneider was actually hired by Carroll--a rare case of the head coach hiring the general manager. He is one of four current NFL coaches who also have the title or powers of general manager, along with the Patriots' Bill Belichick, Washington Redskins' Mike Shanahan and Kansas City Chiefs Andy Reid.

That's from Wikipedia so take it for what its worth. I think its downplaying the role of Schneider just a bit.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
FDNYHAWK":z9y76j74 said:
Seabowl, good to see there is another seahawks/islanders fan in this world. Along with Pat who works at Carlow east --the seahawks bar in NYC-- we are probably the only 3 in the world

Grew up 10 mins from the Nassau Coliseum. People outside of NY don't realize the best atmosphere in any sporting event is when the Isles and Rangers play each other. I went to he NFC Championship game in Seattle in 2006 and even that atmosphere doesn't compare. Nothing like e "lets go Islanders chant" and conversely the "Potvin sucks" chant from the Rangers fans. My favorite was the "1940" chant before the Rangers won the cup in 1994.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think some of you realize how much coaching helps make these late round picks look genius. Also, Carroll scouted and coached against many of the marquee guys we acquired in the first two years of this regime (Lynch, Sherm, Browner, Tate, Baldwin, Thurmond, etc.)

Johnny

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2iowntup said:
Pete has final say with personnel anyway...

:13:

1) Pete is the one that put this team on the field..
2) Pete is the one with the final say on the roster..
3) Pete is the one who hired the coaching staff..
4) Pete coaches these guys every week for the games..

That's 4 reasons off the top of my head why I would pick Pete over John...

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Seabowl,
Most people dont realize that the ranger islanders rivalry is the only true rilvary in ny because unlike most of the other sports they are in the same division. I understand what your talking about but you can't compare the atmosphere. First of all I was at quest for the NFCC and nothing was crazier then that and I've been at many ranger islanders games and 2 yankees clinching World Series games
You also can't compare the two because when your at quest the whole stadium is rooting for the seahawks and at the coliseum the fan base is split in half. Now I've been an islanders fan since 1976 and i hate to say it but our fan base sucks unless the rangers are in town or its a playoffs game.

I was talking to a rangers fan last night, he laughed when I said I was an islanders fan. I said nice organization you have. Had a puzzled look on his face. I said its the job of an organization to win the cup. I said u won 3 cups when there was only 6 teams in the league. And have only won 1 cup in the last 73 yrs.
With one of the highest pay rolls every yr I think your organization sucks. His come back was potvin sucks.
I said do you know why they chant that, he, like most other ranger fans have no clue.

razgriz737

Reaction score
If I HAD to pick, I would say Schneider. And (I'm afraid I will get crucified for saying this) that's only because Pete is sometimes a little questionable with things like clock management and icing kickers. The game management aspect I guess you could call it.

:242735:

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
FDNYHAWK":21qrriub said:
Seabowl,
Most people dont realize that the ranger islanders rivalry is the only true rilvary in ny because unlike most of the other sports they are in the same division. I understand what your talking about but you can't compare the atmosphere. First of all I was at quest for the NFCC and nothing was crazier then that and I've been at many ranger islanders games and 2 yankees clinching World Series games
You also can't compare the two because when your at quest the whole stadium is rooting for the seahawks and at the coliseum the fan base is split in half. Now I've been an islanders fan since 1976 and i hate to say it but our fan base sucks unless the rangers are in town or its a playoffs game.

I was talking to a rangers fan last night, he laughed when I said I was an islanders fan. I said nice organization you have. Had a puzzled look on his face. I said its the job of an organization to win the cup. I said u won 3 cups when there was only 6 teams in the league. And have only won 1 cup in the last 73 yrs.
With one of the highest pay rolls every yr I think your organization sucks. His come back was potvin sucks.
I said do you know why they chant that, he, like most other ranger fans have no clue.

Yeah Potvin sucks came from him braking Nilssons ankle. BTW my first game was in 1977 and in 1982 I held the cup (neighbor was the Isles photographer). I also got in a magazine in 1979 taking a shot at Arbour playing goalie at an Islander carnival.

Again I too was at the NFCCG but the noise level for the Isles/Ranger games inside the building is actually louder than Seahawks home stadium games I've been to. You are right its tough to compare the 2 atmospheres but the rivalry of Isles/Rangers and just being at a live hockey event IMO is just more exciting.

With all this said the Hawks are my favorite team in sports, been a fan since 1984.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Seabowl, My first game was in 77 also and I was lucky enough to hold the cup at a fdny pdny hockey game at the coliseum a couple of yrs ago
You should check out one of those games.
I agree with you about live hockey and playoff hockey is amazin.
Gotta say and I'm sure we are going to have to agree to disagree I've been to many isles ranger games and none have come close to how loud the NFCC game was. From paul Allen raising the flag to scoring over and over and just how loud it gets every time we are on defense. During hockey games it only gets really loud when someone scores,, or fights, yes, youmget chanting during the game but nothing like football games. If you want to talk about the atmosphere and being more exciting ill understand but being louder, never, especially if your talking about a rangers game because the crowd is 50/50 so you only get half the crowd clearing at one time.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If I had to make the choice right now, I'd say Pete. He is the architect of everything the team has done since the day he was hired. He helped choose John as GM. His philosophy was installed not only for the football team but the entire organization. He has final say on player personnel.

Ultimately though, that's a choice I would hate to have to make. John was hired because his and Pete's approaches and personalities were so synergistic. John is a very good scout in his own right. The two have worked hand in hand to build the team. The are pretty much the perfect duo of GM and coach/VP of personnel.

drdiags

Reaction score
Pete. He makes the FO and scouts look good because he has no problem playing the young talent. That is one of the many things I appreciate about Pete.

Rainger

Reaction score
I had to log in just so I could vote in this poll. I cant believe people believe that JS, because he has a GM role, is the architect of what the hawks have achived.

This is Pete's team and organization. He was the one who approved of the hiring of JS. He has full say over all team personnel decisions, NOT JS. JS is great. He knows what PC wants and knows what PC is looking for and goes and finds it and together they build the personnel. BUT PC makes the decision on if they are on the team or cut. NOT JS.

If we are asked a question like this without parameters of age etc people get all silly. Of course if you think PC only has a couple of years left u might vote for JS however that is not the full question.

PC hired the coaching staff not JS. PC and his team put in the schemes each week NOT JS. PC makes the decision on what players to keep on the team NOT JS.

I love JS and think we are so lucky to have him but even that is a testament to PC cause he knew what he wanted to work with in a GM to build a winning organization. That is why we have what we have because PC built it. I am sure if JS left, PC would be able to find another to fit in and complete the puzzle.

Get a grip guys. PC is not just the "coach" of this team. Don't just look at a dumb play here or there in a particular game (which most likely was called by one of his team and he approved) and say you question PC. This team IS PC. This organization IS PC. I will take him any time, but I want him with the team he wants around him, and part of that team is JS. So a long winded answer to number 3. I want both for the next 10 years.

But I think PC could keep it together longer without JS than I think JS could keep it together without PC.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I have to go with JS. Liked mentioned PC just isn't going to be around that many more years. Secondly, JS will be one of the selectors in the process of picking the next head coach and if he can pick a head coach like he can players then we are golden.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Surprised that the vote is this close. I thought it would have been a wider margin.

kearly

Reaction score
I think JS works very hard, and that's paid off for us in every area of team construction. If he's not such a hard worker in FA, we probably don't have Bennett or Avril for example. And as said before, he's the person most responsible for bringing Russell Wilson to Seattle.

That said, I look at the moves that have helped the team the most, and with the exception of Wilson and just a handful of others, all the biggest and best moves to help this team originated from Pete Carroll. The assistant coaching hires, the Pac-12 connections to Browner, Sherman, Lynch, and Harvin (unsuccessfully recruited for USC), drafting for very specific types of players in the draft, etc. We aren't drafting for those ultra specific and unique player types because of JS.

John Schneider is a terrific assistant, you could not ask for a better one, but he's the assistant. Pete's the architect. JS is a hard worker, but he's not a transformative visionary like Pete. I would rather have 10 years of Pete than 20 years of JS, despite the fact that JS is amazing at his job.

You look at SF, and they had a ho-hum front office for ages, then Jim Harbaugh comes in, takes a group of players that had won 5-7 games for most of a decade, and makes them instant SB contenders. Is anyone going to tell me that Baalke and his predecessor had as much to do with that as Harbaugh did? Clearly, without Harbaugh, the 49ers are still a joke of a team.

Further, you look at the top GMs in the league and you pretty much always see top 5 coaches working for them. Ozzie Newsome might be the very best, and he has John Harbaugh. Ted Thompson's in the discussion. He has Mike McCarthy. Mickey Loomis is up there. He's got Sean Payton.

Latest posts