Who should be Washington's new coach?

HawkWow

Reaction score
justafan":cz4sr4lz said:
HawkWow":cz4sr4lz said:
I'd go after a guy like Gary Pinkel. 13 years coaching in the SEC and a guy that is constantly evaluating his coaches and holding them accountable. He's not the shiny new guy, like the weasel or Sark, he's more James / Lambright than wannabe hipster. He's never going to win the SEC, that fact might make him consider packing up his staff (and list of recruits) for a job in the Pacific NW.

Fresno's DeRuyter might manage to get his name on the list and this would be as good a time as any for Chris Peterson to throw his hat in, too.

Especially if we are accepted into the MAC.

I always thought Pinkel was inline for the job going way back.Guess I am still wanting guys with roots from the James era here even tho moving foreward might have been best at the time.
I wonder if he would even come back after getting passed over for lesser coaches.
I am not for firing Sark yet.Maybe he isnt the guy to take us to the next level but he was the right guy to take us from where we were to where we are now.It hasnt been the miracle turn around everyone wants but he has done a great job IMO.I have always thought a coach deserves to see his first class graduate before pulling the plug on him and judging how good he really is.

That and Pinkel really has Mizzou playing inspired football right now. But maybe that's a the best time to part ways (?). I want a guy that understands what it's going to take to beat Oregon. Nothing else will do. Pinkel would have it easier at U-Dub than he does at Mizzou. If you can't win the SEC, you can't win a natty. Pinkel knows the recipe to beat UO and that could get him a natty shot vs. his old homies of the SEC. I just want us to return to power football. If you can't keep the ball from UO, you can't beat them. Running the ball with success whiie successfully stopping the run will win you football games. It was once a tradition at U-Dub, now we are without such identity.

Let's get us one of these guys in the name of DON!

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Pinkel already said five years ago he is not interested in Udub, he doesn't want to start over, too old he said.

HawkWow

Reaction score
MLOhawks":yi8cc0hn said:
Pinkel already said five years ago he is not interested in Udub, he doesn't want to start over, too old he said.

That's too bad. Though reports suggest "Pinkel is rejuvenated and a new man". Must have got dialed in on testosterone therapy. Hopefully he will reconsider. I'd love to have him here.

davidonmi

Reaction score
petrino wins, but he's not a good fit for this town. I would go with Deruyter personally

Subzero717

Reaction score
davidonmi":4sr4bum3 said:
petrino wins, but he's not a good fit for this town. I would go with Deruyter personally

Now thst Carroll is here we know what winning feels like and can handle it. Bring on Petrino.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3tsq6fh6 said:
Tech Worlds":3tsq6fh6 said:
I am on the Sark needs to go bandwagon now.

He's great at taking a poor team and making them mediocre and that is what he's done for Washington. Expecting better than mediocre with Sark is a pipe dream.

This was a point that was made years ago when Sark was originally hired, that a mediocre coach could win 6-8 games a year at UW, and a lot of fans were fearful that he might be kept too long because he will be deemed a good coach simply for improving a win-less team to a mediocre team.

As far as Mora goes...I say come to UW. He said it himself while he was at Atlanta...that at anytime if he was asked, he would take the job...
Totally - that he was the ATL coach at the time gave it more meaning. He pretty much said he'd leave his wife for the Washington job.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
We need to bring UW football back.

It starts with defense and power running. I think it's fair to say that ever since we hired the Weasel we've been a finesse team, and bringing in another one of those guys just won't cut it. (Briles, Kingsburry, etc.)

Throwdown

Reaction score
Dont care who it is they hire, as long as they win and give Cyler Miles the reigns at QB.

jhern87

Reaction score
If it's not a veteran coach with clout brought in, I wonder if UW considers Oregon's offensive coordinator Scott Frost.

Frost has been rumored to Nebraska but that's looking less and less likely. He was Chips understudy and right hand man and arguable the biggest reason why our offense hasn't lost a step with Ck moving on to Philly. He's definitely one of the top, young, up and coming coaches in college football.

Most UW fans probably will hate the idea (looking for an experienced coach to come in) but I'm confident that Frost will be successful wherever he goes .. Can only imagine what that would do to the rivalry.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I think finding a man who can beat Oregon would be high on a Huskies fan list. :twocents:

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":odprhh1z said:
SacHawk2.0":odprhh1z said:
Throwdown

As a Ducks fan i fully support this hire. Give the kid a life time contract!

Seems like someones tired of seeing his ducks beat the dawgs, YES GIVE ME A LIFE TIME CONTRACT!

HawkWow

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":2g4o0opm said:
We need to bring UW football back.

It starts with defense and power running. I think it's fair to say that ever since we hired the Weasel we've been a finesse team, and bringing in another one of those guys just won't cut it. (Briles, Kingsburry, etc.)

Thank you.

And if Throwdown is the man that can bring that back, hire him post haste. Playing finesse football is making us look like tards while destroying our identity. I'm over it.

We are never going to beat UO at their own game so we have to go to what works. Extended drives = Ball control= TOP. TOP is not an over-rated stat. Especially when we are talking UO. I believe Bama will have a hard time stopping that UO offense. If you can't stop them, you have to limit their touches and IMO, the only way to do that is by successfully running the ball. Build our D, build our O-line and the rest will fall into place, or at least give us a legit shot. Can you do this for this once prominent program, Throwdown??

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm just happy to see this thread. I listen to KJR at 6am on the way to work, that station is so in the tank for Sark and I get why, they have crazy access to the guy they can't piss him off. But the commentary feels like Mariner commentary after a while. As long as "the arrow is pointing up" it's okay to roll a .500 regular season record year after year after year.

The biggest indictment of Sark to me is that his teams never surprise you with a win they shouldn't get, but they'll surprise you in a bad way every year by dropping a game or games that they have no right losing. WSU in the apple cup for example. I KNEW that was going to happen no matter how putrid WSU was. This year, it was a foregone conclusion we lose to Oregon and Stanford, and losing in Arizona was zero surprise to me.

The rest of the Pac-12 must laugh every year at how teflon Sark has been despite having the same record year after year. If I were them I'd be praying for another decade of Sark.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawk45":14rualb1 said:
The biggest indictment of Sark to me is that his teams never surprise you with a win they shouldn't get, but they'll surprise you in a bad way every year by dropping a game or games that they have no right losing. WSU in the apple cup for example. I KNEW that was going to happen no matter how putrid WSU was. This year, it was a foregone conclusion we lose to Oregon and Stanford, and losing in Arizona was zero surprise to me.

Man, I hear ya'. Lots of surprises during his tenure, none good. Even the Nebraska win felt hollow. This year, for me, was worse. I actually expected to beat Stanford. So again, I was surprised.

Let's see if Sark has the team ready for Cal today....or are we in for yet another surprise?

It just dawned on me. This past week, I spent less time thinking about the Dawgs than I typically do...in the off-season. This is what Sark is doing to the program. Just over the half way point and done for another year. %$^#!!
Sark's not a bad coach, but he's not a very good coach either. I'd like him much more if he were someone else's coach. Who out there wants to wear black?

BTW, we better be in Purple today, dammit.

Latest posts