Who should be Washington's new coach?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Wheels fell off today, but I've been on the Wilcox wagon for awhile, wouldn't mind him at all.

kearly

Reaction score
Tough loss, but I think it's pretty clear that the reason for the loss was just basic execution. The OL didn't have the injury excuse or the LSU excuse and still played like total dogshit. Price also missed a couple of TD throws that even I could have made. This game was a reminder of why Price will probably never be a good NFL QB, because he has zero ability to weather adversity or to pick himself off the mat when he gets off to a rough start.

I thought the defense played really well for most of the first half, but the offense kept giving the ball right back to ASU with 3 and outs over and over and over again. Repeated 3 and outs are devastating to a supporting defense under any circumstances, but it's far worse in a hurry up offense. UW's defense was pretty much on the field the whole first half, and by the 2nd half you could clearly see the fatigue. They were also sacrificing tackles to go for the football (unsuccessfully) in the second half, which led to a lot of broken tackles and big plays.

And though I think ASU wins anyway, that series after UW's 2nd TD was total BS. First, ASU is CLEARLY stopped shy of the first down but the refs gift ASU an extra half yard anyway. Sark doesn't challenge, and he had a long time to do so. That was a big mistake. Later in the same drive, UW forced a punt except for a roughing call that I thought was a total joke. Again, I think ASU wins anyway, but at the time it was a 2 score game and UW should have had the ball back twice. It's a momentum game, who knows what happens, maybe it ends up being much closer if the refs don't blow it twice on that drive.

I was really impressed by Arizona State's execution, particularly with run blocking. Their execution was as good as UW's was bad. And with respect to Rob, how anybody can watch Sutton and come away unimpressed... I haven't yet. He dominates. He's a game changer.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Throwdown":jynbztec said:
Wheels fell off today, but I've been on the Wilcox wagon for awhile, wouldn't mind him at all.
I would just warn u that hiring coaches with no HC experience can be risky

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd go after a guy like Gary Pinkel. 13 years coaching in the SEC and a guy that is constantly evaluating his coaches and holding them accountable. He's not the shiny new guy, like the weasel or Sark, he's more James / Lambright than wannabe hipster. He's never going to win the SEC, that fact might make him consider packing up his staff (and list of recruits) for a job in the Pacific NW.

Fresno's DeRuyter might manage to get his name on the list and this would be as good a time as any for Chris Peterson to throw his hat in, too.

Especially if we are accepted into the MAC.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Does USC need to ask for permission from Washington to talk to Sark? And if so, how many seconds does the AD take to say yes?

davidonmi

Reaction score
I'd have to look and here rumors about candidates. Right now I want Sark fired, and then Cozetto and Nansen made co interims, the reason being that guarantees neither of them are back either. The only coach I have any interest in keeping is wilcox, and maybe tui

-The Glove-

Reaction score
No idea but Shanahan needs to go. RG3 really needs a QB coach that will teach him how to take care of himself

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
-The Glove-":18vvklzd said:
No idea but Shanahan needs to go. RG3 really needs a QB coach that will teach him how to take care of himself

University Of Washington Huskies. Not Washington Redskins. :roll: ;)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3hp7urc8 said:
-The Glove-":3hp7urc8 said:

University Of Washington Huskies. Not Washington Redskins. :roll: ;)
you don't say

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Not sure what the context was - but Sark saying that penalties aren't really a big deal in regards to the outcome of a game is pretty ridiculous imo.

I think no matter what, penalties are a huge deal (especially pre-snap ones that could be avoided altogether with good practice).

justafan

Reaction score
HawkWow":1los3qvc said:
I'd go after a guy like Gary Pinkel. 13 years coaching in the SEC and a guy that is constantly evaluating his coaches and holding them accountable. He's not the shiny new guy, like the weasel or Sark, he's more James / Lambright than wannabe hipster. He's never going to win the SEC, that fact might make him consider packing up his staff (and list of recruits) for a job in the Pacific NW.

Fresno's DeRuyter might manage to get his name on the list and this would be as good a time as any for Chris Peterson to throw his hat in, too.

Especially if we are accepted into the MAC.

I always thought Pinkel was inline for the job going way back.Guess I am still wanting guys with roots from the James era here even tho moving foreward might have been best at the time.
I wonder if he would even come back after getting passed over for lesser coaches.
I am not for firing Sark yet.Maybe he isnt the guy to take us to the next level but he was the right guy to take us from where we were to where we are now.It hasnt been the miracle turn around everyone wants but he has done a great job IMO.I have always thought a coach deserves to see his first class graduate before pulling the plug on him and judging how good he really is.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":4n7i91wj said:
I am on the Sark needs to go bandwagon now.

He's great at taking a poor team and making them mediocre and that is what he's done for Washington. Expecting better than mediocre with Sark is a pipe dream.

This was a point that was made years ago when Sark was originally hired, that a mediocre coach could win 6-8 games a year at UW, and a lot of fans were fearful that he might be kept too long because he will be deemed a good coach simply for improving a win-less team to a mediocre team.

As far as Mora goes...I say come to UW. He said it himself while he was at Atlanta...that at anytime if he was asked, he would take the job...

Subzero717

Reaction score
I would take Bobby Petrino in a heartbeat.

Thing I find funny is 3 weeks ago most everyone was panicking Sark was going to SC.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2reghyzt said:
I'd take a look at Charlie Strong from Louisville or James Franklin from Vanderbilt. Maybe Art Briles from Baylor, but he's an old timer and I don't see him leaving. Gary Patterson from TCU or Chris Peterson would be good options.
I like the idea of Franklin. He's winning at Vanderbilt which is like the Northwestern of the SEC but it's still the SEC. Chris Peterson is intriguing though seeing what Dan Hawkins did when he left BSU for Colorado makes me nervous. Like Pinkel too. Mora as well though like many, 'dream job' or not I don't see him bailing on Westwood now.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I don't care what style they play as long as they win, a lot.

I wouldn't mind if they made a run at Chris Peterson and yanked him out of Boise.

Mora would be great, but I don't see why he would leave UCLA unless he hates the California lifestyle (or if his family is unhappy there).

Most importantly, I don't want another coordinator learning on the job. I want someone who has already been a head coach and has WON games. Preferably someone like Peterson who does more with less.

Subzero717

Reaction score
^^^ I don't either but don't underestimate the power of alma mater. My opinion he'd be a fool to leave. He now has LA recruiting going in his favor.