Who is the leader of this team?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Thinking about this yesterday and not sure I have an answer.

Pete Caroll - He should be, but the way he does things is by allowing the players to be the leaders and for the most part he leaves them alone. At times this hurts the team when players need to be reeled back in. Some say he has totally lost control of the team this year. His leadership is also questioned by his loyalty to Bevell and Cable.

Russell Wilson - Maybe the best choice, but with the terrible performance of the offense I sense tension between the O and the D. Also, not sure everyone buys into the Russell Wilson persona.

Michael Bennett - To many off the field controversies and doesn't appear to be the dominant player he has been in previous years.

Cam - A quite leader, but the injury takes a log of that away.

Sherm - same as Cam, also a distraction in some of his rants and sideline behavior

Earl - I would have said Earl but then the spat with Waggoner and then the "come get me" Dallas remark

Bobby - Probably the best choice, all things considered, but then the spat with him and Earl.

Who is the leader? I just don't know? Bobby and Russell maybe the best choice? Maybe we have no clear leader right now which might be the problem?
Thoughts?

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Sorry Seabowl, saw you posted this in the Richard Sherman Tweet post, and I agree with you

"The entire fan discontent IMO goes back to poor management of the team. Pete IMO has gone from a leader when he first got here to now more of a bystander. Leaders don't let underperforming coaches and players stay for years and hope it turns around. In addition they reprimand when a player gets out of hand. They take the bull by the horns and force change when it's needed. This is what he and John did when they first got here and it was awesome. I can't believe he let it get to this point. "

hawknation2017

Reaction score
On the verge of six-straight 10-win seasons, Pete Carroll is the chief of the Seahawks, but he empowers many leaders. It is his responsibility to pull the plug on our under-performing OC, for example.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's telling that this somehow needs to be known or even asked. It's asked a lot on these boards and by football fans in general.

Oddly enough, most of the players themselves are rather dismissive of questions like this or rather they might list a bunch of people, including themselves. Reason being is that they didn't get to where they are by behaving like some whiny, brown nosing child that's always needing to be lead or worship someone who is nothing more than just a man. In NFL fanhood, however, that's the majority. It could almost be a case study.

BamKam

Reaction score
Russ and Doug on offense. Earl and Bobby on defense.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Steve2222":1qkk87om said:
Russell Wilson easily

THis is a no brainer of course Rw is one of the leaders it is pretty obvious when you listen to all the players say how he never gives up and make them not want to either.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
There is no leadership issue with Bennett. 90% of the locker room and half the fan base shares his politics. This is Seattle we’re talking about

We have several leaders. It’s why we’re able to have so many different personalities and be successful. Pete is very into psychology, and as a psych graduate myself I fully understand the way he approaches his players. Also, no one outside of the Patriots has seen our consistent success

hawknation2017

Reaction score
“In the old military, when they’d take in the grunts, they’d shave their heads and put them in the same uniforms and treat them as they treated them,” Carroll said, returning to relating how he leads the Seahawks to how the Army does. “They wanted everybody to act in accordance with the guidelines so they could account on how they could act. In that format, you can only go so high, you can only act so well, because you’re governed so strictly.

“Special Forces aren’t taught that way anymore. They’re not treated like that.

“They’re treated to draw out all that they have to offer in terms of their grit and their ability to persevere and all the rest. They’re taught to bring out the special qualities that allow them to think clearly and engage creatively so they can do extraordinary things,” Carroll said.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 25455.html

kobebryant

Reaction score
I don't think there has been any one singular leader here over the years, it has been a core group of guys including Wilson, Baldwin, Bennett, Wagner, Sherm, Earl and Kam. Brown will probably assume more of that role the longer he is here.

What I do think is missing is a nice core of non-star leaders ; guys like Mike Rob, Red, Breno, Mebane and Farwell. Those seemed like guys who could command respect and give a piece of their mind to Pro Bowl players making considerably more money than them if need be.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I believe Wagner and KJ are both emerging as leaders of the team. They're vocal, intimidating and both performing at a very high level.

No one on offense strikes me as someone a defensive player here would fully look up to. Nor do I see any of the higher-up coaches garnering full support and/or complete respect from the players.

OpHawk

Reaction score
If you have to ask who the leader is, you don't have one.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Does this stuff matter that much? We can't know what's going on behind the scenes so what's the point of worrying or speculating about it?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":1oyunsjg said:
Does this stuff matter that much? We can't know what's going on behind the scenes so what's the point of worrying or speculating about it?
This is a point I believe in 100%. We as fans have absolutely no idea what goes on and what is said behind closed doors and yet somehow there are always people that feel as if they do know. I've read articles where team members have said it's Kam when he was hurt. Then another that said it's Earl when he went down. My guess there would be that they (players or people around the team) say things like that because it's a respectful thing to say about guys that get hurt.

We'll never really know who the overall leader is in that locker room unless the team really wants us to know. I wouldn't want fans to know it if it were me because then I'd have to hear all the ridiculous requests that fans have.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
OpHawk":3co51ljc said:
Or this ridiculous notion of having one leader is bullshit and the team that has made the play offs 5 years in a row has multiple people that step up as required.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":157lke2e said:
OpHawk":157lke2e said:
Or this ridiculous notion of having one leader is bullshit and the team that has made the play offs 5 years in a row has multiple people that step up as required.

This...

This is a team game with alot of moving parts. having just one team leader wouldnt be very effective, nor efficient