Which Seahawk is most likely ot be a player of the year?

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Who is most likely to win:

Walker Offensive rookie of the year
Woolan Defensive rookie of the year
Geno Comeback Player of the year.

With all the comments before the start of the season that PC hasn't had a good draft since 2012 it is good to see us in the running for both rookie awards. (not to mention the slating he got for going with Geno)

Interesting trivia Woolen at 153 was drafted just one place higher than Sherman.

BASF

Reaction score
None! East Coast media does not give awards to a team in south Alaska
The only one I have ever thought deserved awards and did not win them was John Schneider for Executive of the year in 2012. For whatever reason, there was no award in 2013, but I am sure he would have won it that year.

Apart from that, what award has any of our players, coaches or executives have deserved to win and did not? Knox won it when he deserved it. Kennedy won it when he deserved it. Alexander won it when he deserved it.

The only case I think someone could make is Holmgren for 2005 losing out to Lovie Smith, but Smith had a lot less talent than we did with only two more losses.

EDIT to add: I forgot the Sinclair snub when Reggie White won the DPoY award. It's been a long time. However, White was far more accounted for by offenses than Sinclair was. Sinclair (my first jersey btw) had better stats that season, but the Seahawks had a worse record. It was also assumed that it was White's last season, so maybe they were sending him off on the high note.

Last edited:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The only one I have ever thought deserved awards and did not win them was John Schneider for Executive of the year in 2012. For whatever reason, there was no award in 2013, but I am sure he would have won it that year.

Apart from that, what award has any of our players, coaches or executives have deserved to win and did not? Knox won it when he deserved it. Kennedy won it when he deserved it. Alexander won it when he deserved it.

The only case I think someone could make is Holmgren for 2005 losing out to Lovie Smith, but Smith had a lot less talent than we did with only two more losses.
I agree. Don't forget about Rick Mirer Off ROTY. Other than JS for Exec I thought that Pete should have won Coach OTY at some point but there always seemed to be a more compelling choice at the time.

Kind of like finishing 2nd in something many times with different winners. The best overall but never the best at that moment.

DJrmb

Reaction score

EDIT to add: I forgot the Sinclair snub when Reggie White won the DPoY award. It's been a long time. However, White was far more accounted for by offenses than Sinclair was. Sinclair (my first jersey btw) had better stats that season, but the Seahawks had a worse record. It was also assumed that it was White's last season, so maybe they were sending him off on the high note.
Pete Carroll in 2013 over Ron Rivera. He was the leader all year by even nfl.com's account... But for some reason riverboat Ron got it...

NFL Coach of the Year rankings: Pete Carroll on top

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
In order:

Woolen is probably the favorite for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Geno Smith should be a huge favorite for Comeback Player of the Year, but the Seahawks will probably need to win more games in order to overcome Saquon Barkley since Giants are overplaying their expectations (we are too, but not as much). (He'll have an outside chance at MVP if the Seahawks win more games and he keeps playing at this level).

Walker will have a chance for Offensive Rookie because he's going to be starting now.

Finally, Pete Carroll will have a chance for Coach if we make the playoffs, same for Schneider for Executive.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
In order:

Woolen is probably the favorite for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Geno Smith should be a huge favorite for Comeback Player of the Year, but the Seahawks will probably need to win more games in order to overcome Saquon Barkley since Giants are overplaying their expectations (we are too, but not as much). (He'll have an outside chance at MVP if the Seahawks win more games and he keeps playing at this level).

Walker will have a chance for Offensive Rookie because he's going to be starting now.

Finally, Pete Carroll will have a chance for Coach if we make the playoffs, same for Schneider for Executive.
What is the criteria for comeback player of the year? I thought it was injury related and didn‘t know it could be a career backup that got to start.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What is the criteria for comeback player of the year? I thought it was injury related and didn‘t know it could be a career backup that got to start.
Most times it is a player coming back from a serious injury but there's certainly no criterion like that in place. Career backups who suddenly have a career year are definitely eligible to win the award.

OP
OP
J

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Officially CPOY is given to the player “who shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, overcoming a severe injury, or simply a poor performance.” though that is very much open to interpretation

More often than not it goes to a player who was injured, the previous season. Recent exceptions being Tannahill in 2019 (who did miss a few games the previous season but it was really fo improved performance) and Phillip Rivers in 2013.

It is also more noteworthy that the last four winners were all QBs.

It is such a nebulous award it is impossible to say whether Geno has had a bigger comeback than Barkley. How about Brian Robinson hardy a "comeback" but certainly overcoming adversity. You can not objectively argue whether any of these are better than the others because you are comparing apples and pears, the voters just decide whether they prefers an apple or a pear.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Officially CPOY is given to the player “who shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, ...
Do you think that they would consider the adversity that Geno overcame is being in the same QB room as Russell Wilson for the last two years?

That may have been insufferable. lol