Which outcome to end a season would you prefer?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NJlargent":321u664s said:
Sgt. Largent":321u664s said:
johnnyfever":321u664s said:
It's not that we lost that wildcard game, it's how we lost it.

We lost it trying to do the same thing that won us 10 games, trying to establish ball control to chew clock to keep our injured and mediocre defense off the field to open up play action, which allows our QB to take advantage of what he does best...........which is make explosive plays downfield.

That's how we went 10-6 and made the playoffs, and unfortunately it's how we lost to Dallas, not being able to do the things that helped us get there.

Should we have opened it up earlier in the Dallas game once we saw how ineffective the run game was? Yep. Should we now think that equates to needing a wholesale offensive philosophical change? Nope.

The issue I have is that we do have a mediocre defense and our approach relies upon a dominant defense. Our approach was never going to get us far without a defense we don’t have

I agree. So the question is do you think Pete and John can build another dominant defense that works well within the confines of how Pete wants the offense to run?

Not sure how you can say no after seeing what he did this year with the lack of talent we had on the defensive side of the ball.

Trust the process, Pete knows how to teach defense.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11z5fhil said:
johnnyfever":11z5fhil said:

We lost it trying to do the same thing that won us 10 games, trying to establish ball control to chew clock to keep our injured and mediocre defense off the field to open up play action, which allows our QB to take advantage of what he does best...........which is make explosive plays downfield.

That's how we went 10-6 and made the playoffs, and unfortunately it's how we lost to Dallas, not being able to do the things that helped us get there.

Should we have opened it up earlier in the Dallas game once we saw how ineffective the run game was? Yep. Should we now think that equates to needing a wholesale offensive philosophical change? Nope.

That is all I'm saying largent, that we should have adapted in that specific instance. There will be some games when the run is working perfectly. In those cases, run it 70 times and pass it 10.

You have to adapt to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses. We lost the Dallas game because we failed to do this early enough. If Richard decides he is going to stack the LOS with 8 dudes to stop RW and our run game, then scorch him on the back end.

chris98251

Reaction score
johnnyfever":dgynhvbn said:
Sgt. Largent":dgynhvbn said:
johnnyfever":dgynhvbn said:

That is all I'm saying largent, that we should have adapted in that specific instance. There will be some games when the run is working perfectly. In those cases, run it 70 times and pass it 10.

You have to adapt to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses. We lost the Dallas game because we failed to do this early enough. If Richard decides he is going to stack the LOS with 8 dudes to stop RW and our run game, then scorch him on the back end.

You forget match up's Madden substitution isn't realistic.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
chris98251":177rxmfp said:
johnnyfever":177rxmfp said:
Sgt. Largent":177rxmfp said:
johnnyfever":177rxmfp said:

Are you attempting to insinuate that their corners and/or single high safety smothered our receivers the first 2 downs of the first, second and third quarters?

I see the actual facts laying closer to schotty calling runs on 1st and second down regardless of separation, and the tape I have watched supports that.

I dont play Madden. I watch football.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Option 3. The goal is to qualify for the playoffs and advance as far as possible. If you lose, go down hard in a battle and make the other team earn it. Regular season success means little. Philly thus, had a better season than us, Houston, Chicago and Baltimore.

Seahawker

Reaction score
The difference between Pick 21 and pick 27 is equivalent to a low 3rd rounder. JS & PC will turn that value into two 4th rounders. Forget the wildcard loss, this is probably the biggest, most important offseason in franchise history. I'm not worried about whether we could have beat the Cowboys, I want the focus to be reclaiming our division in 19'.

chris98251

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2oa5nk0u said:
chris98251":2oa5nk0u said:
johnnyfever":2oa5nk0u said:
Sgt. Largent":2oa5nk0u said:

Are you attempting to insinuate that their corners and/or single high safety smothered our receivers the first 2 downs of the first, second and third quarters?

I see the actual facts laying closer to schotty calling runs on 1st and second down regardless of separation, and the tape I have watched supports that.

I dont play Madden. I watch football.

I would argue they were getting penetration with run blitzing, there was little time for our long developing routes.