Which moment sold you on Wilson?

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I liked Wilson prior to the draft admired him for being successful in College in spite of his height, but it was draft day that I really fell in love. When I realized he was going to be a Seahawk and how perfect he was for Pete's scheme...well I was hooked.

SE174

Reaction score
FormerEvil":18qkfq4f said:
Preseason game number 1 against Oakland. I was at the game and the dime he dropped on Braylon for his first TD was a thing of beauty. I let out a deafening "wow!" and never looked back. The whole rest of that game was special too. The 40 yard scramble for a TD ...and then everything else after that.
That was against Tennessee. Oakland was PS#4.

AVL

Reaction score
For me it was 2 years ago when he transferred to Wisconsin and I realized I would no longer be able to watch The Russell Wilson Show with rabbit ear TV. I got a dish.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
The Oregon Rose Bowl Game....

I got chewed out on Dawgman for wawnting to take Wilson over Locker before the pre-season happened. You could sense this guy just had something that you can't teach... My bro adn father weren't sold on him adn I laid it down that he would be a pro-bowl quarterback, albeit not necessarily the first year.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Every time I thought I knew Russell Wilson last year he would stand up and simply amaze me whether on field or off. He'll never stop outdoing himself.

ARhawk

Reaction score
For me, it was when he was named the starter over Flynn. I knew there had to be something really special about him if Pete thought it was smarter to start a 3rd round pick over a guy they had just invested a lot of money in that same offseason. That was when i knew he was going to be good. But i guess the moment when i knew he would become what he is now was, like everyone else, the New England game.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
SE174":1vqhegv9 said:
FormerEvil":1vqhegv9 said:
Preseason game number 1 against Oakland. I was at the game and the dime he dropped on Braylon for his first TD was a thing of beauty. I let out a deafening "wow!" and never looked back. The whole rest of that game was special too. The 40 yard scramble for a TD ...and then everything else after that.
That was against Tennessee. Oakland was PS#4.

You're right. My mistake. They picked off Hass for a TD on the first drive.. That was a fun game.

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
patriots game, the bomb to sidney to win it. at that moment i knew this guy was going to take us to the promised land.

RabidFrenzy

Reaction score
m0ng0":1jfgxdrc said:
The New England game is what sold me 100%

First game I attended, incredible game, incredible pass to Rice. Wilson is only going to get better.

kearly

Reaction score
I could tell immediately that he was special when I put on his youtube compilations in late 2011. The only question was his height, but as I researched the actual reasons why short QBs fail, I kept discovering that Wilson had the tools and skills to beat those obstacles. Then I learned that his line at Wisconsin was taller than any line in the NFL that year. That was my moment when I knew he was an extremely exciting prospect.

As far as a Seahawks performance, I think Atlanta impressed me the most with Chicago and New England being close runner-ups. In terms of the "you knew" moments during the season though, I'd name two: Kansas City in the preseason and Dallas in the regular season.

Prior to the Kansas City game, the Flynn backing crowd had one good argument in their arsenal, that Wilson hadn't yet faced starting defenses. Not only did he face KC's starters that week, but he played them in the week 3 "dress rehearsal" game where both teams tend to be pretty serious and use more than just vanilla schemes. In what I would argue was the biggest game of his life (knowing that his entire career path was hanging in the balance), Wilson didn't just impress, didn't just dominate, he flat out embarrassed the Chiefs. He throttled them. It was as much a "no doubter" moment like any I have seen in Seattle sports history. That game not only made Wilson the starter, but it made him the story of the preseason.

The reason I also mention Dallas is because Wilson badly struggled in week 1 against Arizona and yes, height WAS a factor in those struggles. Dallas was coming off a huge win at the Giants and at the time looked like they'd end up a 10 win team. Wilson bounced back that week, basically proving that the preseason was not a fluke. That was the moment my final doubts left me.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I don't wanna act like I think I'm some clairvoyant or anything, but I was on the bandwagon ever since I saw him at training camp. Something about him just made him stick out from TJack and Flynn.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
When I saw Gruden go apesheet on Kiper, confirmed when that hack Millen questioned the pick

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Honestly never saw him play in NC state. Buddy was a Wisconsin homer so I took an interest in him during his Senior year. Then when we drafted him I was hooked. You could see from that first pre-season game last year he was going to be special!

sc85sis

Reaction score
I liked him from day one, particularly after the Gruden ep. I had a feeling he might end up starting after the rookie minicamp when Pete announced Russell would compete to start--I got the same feeling I did when Barkley was competing to start. I trusted he would eventually convince everyone after Pete named Russell the starter. And I first thought he could be a really great QB after the Chicago game.

xCalibur

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1aa1ig74 said:
The New England game sealed it for me. There was no second guessing from that point on.

Agreed, the way he came back in that game showed us he can stay calm and comeback from behind. Even against the Media darling Brady led team. That was the day i said this kid is going to be special.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I loved him as our draft pick, told my buddy he was a steal and could be great. However, I still had my doubts about how great until the Chicago game. I didn't see the NE game, and might have been put over the top if I had watched more than just the highlights on ESPN. The fact that he beat Chicago 2x, on the road, team on his back...I was a believer.

BBlades89

Reaction score
I'm a Badger fan so for me it was his 1st game with Wisconsin. The Badgers put up 51 (even though it was against UNLV) on national TV. I think most Wisconsin fans knew that night that Wilson was probably going to be the best Badger QB to date & that we were in for a hell of a ride.

Mick063

Reaction score
Lots of players look great in pre season and then fall on their face when they line up against the real pros on Sunday. I didn't feel that way about Wilson.

I was absolutely smitten with Wilson after watching his pre season games and knew that such production could be reproduced in the regular season. Even after the blah performance against Arizona on opening day. In the end of that game in Arizona, he had about a half dozen attempts into the end zone for the win and although he didn't pull it out, he looked like a guy that plays to win until the final whistle. I was sold and despised the Flynn chatter in the aftermath.

I personally have not seen a rookie quarterback perform better in preseason than what I saw from Wilson last year and I have been watching pro football since 1965. He absolutely shredded those practice squad players as well as the Chief and Bronco starters. I was downright giddy for the regular season to begin. I even bought the Queensryche song "Get started" and visualized Wilson shredding opponents while listening to it on my drive to work every morning.

To be honest, I was "meh" when they drafted him.

Latest posts