Which moment sold you on Wilson?

chawx

Reaction score
The second we drafted him, I was on his side and wanted him to succeed. After the KC preseason game, I wanted him to start. After the GB game, I knew he had something special. After the comeback against NE, I was 100% in his corner. And, after the epic comeback in the playoffs on the road against Atlanta, I know it's just a matter of time until we are going back to the promiseland—except this time we're going to win it!!!!

In Russ We Trust!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Gruden camp. I was beyond enthralled. I knew the Hawks wouldn't get Luck or RGIII. Probably not even Tannehill - and wanted Wilson over Tannehill. Wilson I knew SEA could get, so after how Gruden assessed him... I was ecstatic about the possibility of him as the QBOTF. That future just came even sooner than probably any of us expected. When the 75th pick was announced, I shouted in exuberance. I immediately knew he had a shot to win the job, as Gruden said ("If they give him a chance, he will win the job"), as he took his first reps as a hawk in rookie camp.

I wasn't concerned about his height. Tall people think they're so superior! ;)

jdblack

Reaction score
The week after we drafted him and I looked up his tape/interviews. I was predicting he'd be an elite quarterback around the office, and I have never went out on a limb like that before.

Edit: I even love his wife's video during the draft. She's definitely not a trophy, I suspect she's someone who can really support Wilson.

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Another highlight for me was, I think the Miami game(?), when Wilson almost broke Moon's Seahawks pass completions in row number. I mean that is impressive but especially so for a rookie QB, I bet that number is broken this seasons and wouldn't surprise me to see Wilson break his own record a few times over his career in Seattle.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SuperHawks":3d4m59gy said:
I had followed him a little while at Wisconsin but the thing that made me believe he'd be a superstar was when I watched his Gruden camp. I was a Russell Wilson hipster I guess you could say haha.
I too with the Gruden camp gig.
But honestly?, I thought that Flynn would start things off, giving Wilson time to develop.
I just didn't expect that he'd blow the doors off their hinges as fast as he did.
I wasn't as sold on the pre-Season stuff, because we'd all seen some Seahawks rookies that we thought were pretty damn good, but apparently Pete saw the Wilson explosion as his sign to appoint him to the lead job very early on.

BWRyan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1lzb8bbe said:
The New England game sealed it for me. There was no second guessing from that point on.

Specifically, the post TD pass to Rice. From that point, he was the starter. No more questions or second guessing.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
As a outsider (Niner Fan)...

It was the Chicago game. Until that point, the Hawks hadn't been able to win a big game on the road (the Panthers game not withstanding). But the comeback on the road against a very good defense showed me that the Niners had a new, talented opponent for years to come.

He's the best opponent QB in our division since Kurt Warner.

Now, the Kaep v. Wilson conversation is a whole other topic. And there, I'm sure, we disagree.

Sac

Reaction score
NinerBuff":34w70395 said:

It was the Chicago game. Until that point, the Hawks hadn't been able to win a big game on the road (the Panthers game not withstanding). But the comeback on the road against a very good defense showed me that the Niners had a new, talented opponent for years to come.

Now, the Kaep v. Wilson conversation is a whole other topic. And there, I'm sure, I'd be wrong.

FIFY

General Manager

Reaction score
I knew we had something after the KC game but it wasn't until the Chicago game that it was clear we not only had a great QB but a QB that could be in the Hall of Fame.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
I remember watching the ESPN Year of the QB piece on Russell's arrival to Madison and how he immediately took that team on his shoulders. At the time I vaguely remembered seeing a handful of NC State games remember he was pretty damn good for a little guy but never really imagined him as being a potential NFL franchise QB.

But after watching that special I made a point to follow Wisconsin's season. Big time plays. They got screwed in the Rose Bowl like the Cougs did in '98, with the clocking mishap. I hoped we would draft him, but when we signed Flynn I figured we'd just hang onto T-Jack to backup.

The Gruden spot cemented what I already kinda knew. His football IQ is 2nd to none. His drive to win is 2nd to none. Gruden kept poking him about what others were saying about his height trying to get a reaction and Russ wouldn't budge. Just kept saying "I can make all the throws". His respect for Gruden and the appreciation for the opportunity was genuine and he took it seriously, while others you could tell just kind of looked at it as another pre-draft chore.

I was at a softball game when we picked him, I almost lost it in the dugout because I figured QB was an afterthought in this draft. A bunch of guys on my team are ST holders and were confused.... "that short guy from Wisconsin?".

Yes, that guy.

redhawk253

Reaction score
which moment? i'd say the moment i was watching him light up my noles back when he was playing for NC state in the ACC... i think it was his sophomore year.. i said it then.. i hope this guy is undervalued going into the draft because of his height and my seahawks can get him to one of my buddies i went to school with who is a bucs fan. he laughed at me and said he will be a backup for a few years then be out of the league.. i called him right when we drafted him.. he was like he sucks matt Flynn is your future... i txt'd him throughout the year and he finally came to the conclusion that i was right.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":vg1ln8b2 said:
NinerBuff":vg1ln8b2 said:

Now, the Kaep v. Wilson conversation is a whole other topic. And there, I'm sure, I'd be wrong.

FIFY

Let's see what happens this year. I do find it interesting that the posters here seem to discount Kaep and view wilson as the second coming. If you go over to the Niners Forums, we acknowledge Wilson is really good (you'll probably find some *ss-hat saying he's too short) and both him and Kaep will be a good rivalry.

Can't wait for week 2!

Greenhell

Reaction score
I was praying we'd draft him after I saw Gruden camp but I was sold on him after the Chiefs preseason game.

jdblack

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3ffwob1h said:
Let's see what happens this year. I do find it interesting that the posters here seem to discount Kaep and view wilson as the second coming. If you go over to the Niners Forums, we acknowledge Wilson is really good (you'll probably find some *ss-hat saying he's too short) and both him and Kaep will be a good rivalry.

I'll acknowledge Kaep is very good. I think Wilson is > Kaep of coursej, entirely for mental reasons. In easy games Kaep probably has a higher ceiling than Wilson due to his explosiveness on the ground. It's similar to how baby rattlesnakes are more dangerous than adult rattlesnakes. In tough games I'd go with Wilson.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
jdblack":2dp0vwpj said:
NinerBuff":2dp0vwpj said:

I'll acknowledge Kaep is very good. I think Wilson is > Kaep of coursej, entirely for mental reasons. In easy games Kaep probably has a higher ceiling than Wilson due to his explosiveness on the ground. It's similar to how baby rattlesnakes are more dangerous than adult rattlesnakes. In tough games I'd go with Wilson.

Like away games against Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Ryan ;)

jdblack

Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't entirely clear...By tough games I mean where it is difficult for the offense (because that's the side Kaep plays on). Combination of QB pressure, receivers not getting open, running game bottled up, etc. 9'ers @ Seattle comes to mind. Possibly @ STL too, but I didn't watch that game. Shoot-outs are relatively easy games for both offenses, although there can still only be one winner.

Edit: I guess it makes more sense to simply say that Wilson can crack very strong defenses. Not sure about Kaep, haven't seen it yet. You have made me clarify my thinking, thank you, I hadn't really thought about it critically. :) If it was a curve, I'd guess Kaep's probably starts lower (than Wilson's) against strong defenses but probably gets higher (than Wilson's) against weaker defenses.

CHawk

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2z9x2l4a said:
jdblack":2z9x2l4a said:
NinerBuff":2z9x2l4a said:

Like away games against Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Ryan ;)

Isn't Kap playing the against the defense on those teams?

Happy

Reaction score
Like most people I guess, this was the moment for me:

Hi res 6516846 crop north