When do the other dominos fall?

Vaclav44

Reaction score
So, now that the Hawks have Wilson locked in for the next 5 years (this year under contract and a 4 year extension, right?), what is the timeline for Frank Clark and Bobby Wagner? Do you guys think that they will be handled before the draft, shortly after the draft or by training camp (if at all)? I always follow the offseason pretty closely, but don't have a sense for when these things usually get done. Opinions anyone?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think they tried very hard to get Frank extended before dealing with Russell. So I'm afraid the franchise tag was telling everyone that "we're done dealing with you until next off season, or if they're REALLY far apart, trading you."

So next up I'd think it's Bobby. That way we have the cornerstone of the offense and defense locked up and we can begin to build around them.

I'd also throw Reed into the mix, if they can get a manageable deal done for him in the next couple of months.

quadsas

Reaction score
I would like Clark to stay for sure, but I do think Seahawks are gonna try to ship him

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm starting to think they will trade Frank, and get Bobby taken care of in the 2nd half of this season.

Largent80

Reaction score
Clark will be post draft. If teams didn't get "their guy" at DE the Hawks have this golden carrot. Problem is, Clark IS the Seahawks pass rush, but is a one trick pony. He's not good in run support.

I would love to trade him for high draft picks this year and roll the dice on pass rush. remember Martin flashed well as a rookie. But teams aren't going to want him because he's going to want a huge contract

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
quadsas":3db78lgf said:
I would like Clark to stay for sure, but I do think Seahawks are gonna try to ship him

Maybe if they can get a #1 pick like they wanted for Earl they'll consider trading Clark.

But now that Russell's signed, I don't think John and Pete have any problem with making Clark play this season on the franchise tag. My guess is they aren't going to give into him and pay him north of Demarcus Lawrence money like he wants (21.5M per year).

niveky

Reaction score
So how does trading a player work when they haven't signed their franchise tag yet? The teams agree in principle but if he can't get a deal negotiated with the new team he is stuck in seattle, possibly not playing a whole year, unless he signs the tag at that point?

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe I'm underrating Clark, but even at a high-priority position, I can't see too many teams lining up to give a first rounder for a "great, but not elite" DE who is looking to get paid. Maybe a second-rounder and another pick (maybe a fifth or a conditional 4th next year), which I'd be fine with personally. I like him, but I don't love him, so my pitchfork would probably stay in its place in storage, even if we got a somewhat underwhelming return.

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, Clark has declared that he won't sign the tag, and won't negotiate while it is in place. I don't know if he said he will hold out. This week's program is voluntary, so I don't expect him to be there.

Kind of ties the team's hands. So a trade might be a good thing to do.

I agree that Bobby should be next to get a deal, and soon. That might piss Clark off, but so what? He's taken the hard line. Would love to keep his pass rush, but he's not necessarily a "core" player. Not yet.

Fade

Reaction score
Horrible market right now to trade Frank Clark. All the teams are licking their chops at this pass rushing draft class.

Teams aren't going to give up what he is really worth.

I also want to see the Seahawks win the Superbowl this year. They trade Frank, they have no shot this year.

They keep Frank Clark, add a pass rusher in this class to compliment him. Now we're talking.

Even if the Seahawks let him foolishly walk next off-season. They would net a 3rd round comp pick.

Which would you rather have?

Plan A) Keep Frank Clark for 1 more season, and net a 3rd round comp pick. With a slim chance a long term deal could still get worked out.

Plan B) Trade Frank Clark and have him for 0 more seasons, for a low 2nd round pick. Maybe even just a 3rd round pick.

I will take Plan A every single day, no hesitation. I need a 1st, or at the very least a high 2nd round pick.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Bobby is next up and Clark is getting traded, there’s no way they can pay them both and field a competitive roster.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I see 2 possible options:
- They sign him to the mega deal.
And, they usually sign during TC or preseason. But, he cannot take this hardline approach. Historically, this FO doesn't work with players who do this. Duane Brown took to Solari's scheme, despite playing the ZBS his entire career. He worked hard didn't complain and he got his 3rd contract. Same with KJ. He didn't complain, worked hard with the training staff and he got his 3rd contract too.

- He plays on the tag.
They made ET and Sherm available but didn't trade either because our demand was too high. As everyone already said, this draft is loaded with great edge players so unless the team is willing to take a 2nd round pick, he's not going anywhere.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I do think the league views Clark as a elite so a team with a ton of cap and a lot of draft capitol may offer a first. Oakland has 3 first round picks. If they came out of the first round with Clark and hit on two other draft picks that could be an absolute game changing situation for Gruden who is under some pressure to win fast, at least from fans.

But like Fade said if you're only going to get a second then its probably best to just play this season with him, hope some things break your way and you can contend for a SB which I think is in the range of potential outcomes for sure.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":3gygczgh said:
Horrible market right now to trade Frank Clark. All the teams are licking their chops at this pass rushing draft class.

I also want to see the Seahawks win the Superbowl this year. They trade Frank, they have no shot this year.

They keep Frank Clark, add a pass rusher in this class to compliment him. Now we're talking.

Even if the Seahawks let him foolishly walk next off-season. They would net a 3rd round comp pick.

Plan A) Keep Frank Clark for 1 more season, and net a 3rd round comp pick. With a slim chance a long term deal could still get worked out.

Plan B) Trade Frank Clark and have him for 0 more seasons, for a low 2nd round pick. Maybe even just a 3rd round pick.

I will take Plan A every single day, no hesitation. I need a 1st, or at the very least a high 2nd round pick.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1110215531502534656[/tweet]
If Ansah's shoulder checks out and a team is able to sign him May 7th or later, it won't cost a comp pick.

So would you rather:

Ansah
2019 2nd rd pick
5-$10M in extra cap room

or

Clark
2021 3rd rd comp

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":25zg7zmc said:

One somewhat important consideration is that trading him nets you, whatever, a 2 this year, while letting him walk gets you a 3rd rounder, but not until 2021.

I also think they probably let him play on the tag and walk away afterwards, if he has another strong season. It's a hard sell to your locker room to get rid of your best pass rusher, and I do agree that they want to try to win big this season, even if I think that is a little foolish. I believe they need at least one more season of roster turning to identify more players before they are legitimately ready to push, so I'd move Clark for a 2 if you can get it, but I just dunno. This EDGE class might just be too deep.

I just dunno man. Do you want to pay Bobby 17 mil or whatever? MLB is typically a pretty easy position to find. And he'll be 29 this season.

How about Reed at 13ish? That seems crazy, but if you don't get him done now, if he has another good start to the season, you're risking him telling you that he's just going to wait for free agency.

Aren't Frank and Reed the next young leaders of this team? Do you let those guys walk in favor of older players? Lots of dynamics at play here.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":2tmxra3r said:

Your plan B would never exist in the real world. They don't trade him for a late 2nd under any circumstance IMO.

Real plan B. Trade him for a late 1st + a 3rd or 4th....I'll take that all day long.

Tical21

Reaction score
Seymour":3aex4bpe said:
Fade":3aex4bpe said:

Your plan B would never exist in the real world. They don't trade him for a late 2nd under any circumstance IMO.

Real plan B. Trade him for a late 1st + a 3rd or 4th....I'll take that all day long.
You're not getting a first. Do you trade him for a second now or let him walk and get a 3rd in 2021 after playing out this season?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1om21dv5 said:
You're not getting a first. Do you trade him for a second now or let him walk and get a 3rd in 2021 after playing out this season?

Now that Russell's signed, you could actually franchise Frank for two years and still not have to pay him the 21-22M per year he's asking for.

Obviously that's more detrimental to the cap, because a new deal you could spread out the cap hit. But it doesn't mean we HAVE to let Frank walk after this year if a new deal isn't signed.

I'm 50/50 on Clark right now. I love how he plays and how he's grown into a leader on the defense, and if he's gone our #1 rush DE is Cassius Marsh, let that sink in for a minute.

But I also don't want to pay him 21M+ a year to just rush the passer. He's not a very good run stopper/well rounded DE. So IMO that's too much to pay him. But idk, we already have a weak pass rush, no Clark and we just became THE worst pass rush defense in the NFL.

Latest posts