Whats Wrong w/the Defense? - 490 Pass Yards to Steelers!

JimmyG

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1tm63mgp said:
59 attempts. 490 yards. 8.3 YPA.

They came out and threw the the ball all game long. They completed 63% of their passes and threw 4 picks. Pretty easy to rack up yards throwing 59 times. It's not like they completed an ungodly high % of their passes or had a high YPA, sheer volume that came with a high volume of turnovers as well.

Comparatively we completed 70% of our passes for 345 yards with an 11.5 YPA with no interceptions.

I'm taking our defenses performance all day.
Are you kidding? 8.3 YPA is fantastic. The Saints have the worst pass defense in the league this year at 8.8 YPA. The second-worst in the NFL is the Browns, at 8.2.

And two of those four picks came from Landry Jones. Big Ben was picked off twice: a fluke interception Rubin, and an uncontested pick by Richard Sherman on a play that Antonio Brown fell down on (that arguably should've been illegal contact or pass interference).

Big Ben shredded us. To try to downplay what they did to our defense is laughable.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
JimmyG":1t19movj said:
XxXdragonXxX":1t19movj said:

They came out and threw the the ball all game long. They completed 63% of their passes and threw 4 picks. Pretty easy to rack up yards throwing 59 times. It's not like they completed an ungodly high % of their passes or had a high YPA, sheer volume that came with a high volume of turnovers as well.

Comparatively we completed 70% of our passes for 345 yards with an 11.5 YPA with no interceptions.

Are you kidding? 8.3 YPA is fantastic. The Saints have the worst pass defense in the league this year at 8.8 YPA. The second-worst in the NFL is the Browns, at 8.2.

And two of those four picks came from Landry Jones. Big Ben was picked off twice: a fluke interception Rubin, and an uncontested pick by Richard Sherman on a play that Antonio Brown fell down on (that arguably should've been illegal contact or pass interference).

Big Ben shredded us. To try to downplay what they did to our defense is laughable.

Sorry what i meant was comparing that YPA to their yardage totals its not nearly as high as you'd expect. Yes they absolutely had a great game passing. I'm just saying the numbers are inflated due to volume of pass attempts. 490 yards looks god awful, with that yardage total youd expect 12 or 13 YPA, but they had "only" 8.3. They were throwing almost every play and throwing it deep constantly, which is obviously going to inflate yardage totals and YPA.

Wilson had a better game than Ben. By far better YPA, better completion % and better TD/INT ratio (as much as you want to downplay the turnovers.)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
JimmyG":9hw8h2dq said:
XxXdragonXxX":9hw8h2dq said:

Kam would have intercepted Rubin's Int, that's why Roethlisberger tried to pull his pass back. Sherman and Brown were hand fighting and Brown tripped and fell on his face. Refs will let that go for the most part if both are doing it. Phil Simms was wrong. Sherman also owned Brown all day. Only really disagreeing on your thoughts in regards to Ints, been seeing many here using the words fluke interceptions. Interception is an interception turnover is a turnover.

JimmyG

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":4gfwro8y said:
Kam would have intercepted Rubin's Int, that's why Roethlisberger tried to pull his pass back. Sherman and Brown were hand fighting and Brown tripped and fell on his face. Refs will let that go for the most part if both are doing it. Phil Simms was wrong. Sherman also owned Brown all day. Only really disagreeing on your thoughts in regards to Ints, been seeing many here using the words fluke interceptions. Interception is an interception turnover is a turnover.
Which is why I said "arguably". Regardless, penalty or not, we can't ignore the fact that Brown fell down and that Sherman caught the pass uncontested.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Pittsburgh had 5 plays of 20+ for 205 yards and none of them were to Brown. 4 were thrown by Ben and the 5th was Jones in garbage time (well, when their win probability was minimal).

Our offense? 5 plays of 20+ for 189 yards to 4 different receivers.

We averaged more Y/A, more explosives per attempt, more TDs per attempt and more importantly, zero INTs. How many points did we have off of interceptions? 21

Over his career, Ben's only thrown the ball that many times once. In the 5 times that he's thrown for 50+ he threw for 2, 1, 1, 1 and 2 TDs. Oh yeah, they're also 1-4 in those 5 games (his yardage was pretty insane in all of them).

Wilson had 5 TDs off of 30 attempts. Who's defense had the better day?

mrblitz

Reaction score
roethlisberger actually has an amazing pocket awareness/presence. that's one reason it was so difficult to get to him. ben does that to a lot of defenses.

in this game it seemed like ben would hit 2 or 3 10-yarders, then let loose the bomb. i heard that against sf, the 49ers were so poor on d that roethlisberger dispensed with the short stuff and just threw downfield every play.

at least seattle's defense got in some counter-blows with the turnovers.

great day for russell. the way he passed to all of those different receivers was flat out amazing.

apparently we were the only nfc west team to beat pittsburgh this year.

Largent80

Reaction score
Smellyman":2d1xfdv7 said:
Largent80":2d1xfdv7 said:
I still can't believe we rushed 3 so many times and they still completed passes with 8 in coverage.

rewatch the game!

Did, 3 times, and we rushed 3 a LOT every time I watch it.

razor150

Reaction score
scutterhawk":ic0u3jrx said:
razor150":ic0u3jrx said:
What I don't get is when we won the Super Bowl our pass rush was at it's best when we had Clemons at DE, Bennett at DT, and Avril at DE. I was kind of expecting a resurrection of that when we drafted Clark, but Clark is nowhere to be seen and Bennett seems to be used exclusively as DE for pass rush, even though he can wreak havok from the inside.

On passing downs would we look better if we were Clark, Hill, Bennett, and Avril a crossed the line?
Clark?, Nowhere To Be Seen?, so are you saying Frank Clark's sacking of Roettenbuger didn't happen yesterday?
:16:

No, because I was driving home while the game was on and was listening to the game on the radio when I could find a station playing the game. Also my point has nothing to do with that sack, try actually reading what I said and try to comprehend it. Look at the line up I said I would like to see. If you try to actually understand what I said and not do a knee jerk reactionary post you would see I am arguing that he get more chances to make plays like the one you described instead of burying him behind Bennett.

razor150

Reaction score
gargantual":3157zw1e said:
Manning threw for a bazillion yards in SB 48.......I guess that must've been a bad day for the D as well.

how many points did Denver score?

had2bhawk

Reaction score
WOW! I just watched and enjoyed the game. I thought BEN was really good!! :229031_confused2:

Schadie001

Reaction score
As many have said it is the front 4. Not so much Avril and Bennett but the interior D Line. You can't give QB's like Palmer and Big Ben that much time. I mean a QB has a ton of time if he can hit a guy on a 60 to 70 yard pass, even 40 yards for that matter. Ben was putting those on us. We have to fix the pass rush, that may mean blitzing more as we really don't blitz nearly enough in my opinion.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
razor150":2h1bh9h5 said:
scutterhawk":2h1bh9h5 said:
razor150":2h1bh9h5 said:
What I don't get is when we won the Super Bowl our pass rush was at it's best when we had Clemons at DE, Bennett at DT, and Avril at DE. I was kind of expecting a resurrection of that when we drafted Clark, but Clark is nowhere to be seen and Bennett seems to be used exclusively as DE for pass rush, even though he can wreak havok from the inside.

On passing downs would we look better if we were Clark, Hill, Bennett, and Avril a crossed the line?
Clark?, Nowhere To Be Seen?, so are you saying Frank Clark's sacking of Roettenbuger didn't happen yesterday?
:16:

No, because I was driving home while the game was on and was listening to the game on the radio when I could find a station playing the game. Also my point has nothing to do with that sack, try actually reading what I said and try to comprehend it. Look at the line up I said I would like to see. If you try to actually understand what I said and not do a knee jerk reactionary post you would see I am arguing that he get more chances to make plays like the one you described instead of burying him behind Bennett.
No knee jerk reaction, you're the one that actually wrote "But Clark IS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN"
Poor choice of words?
Clark's sack happened because he was lined up way outside the LT, and he couldn't get his arm out quick enough.