Whats Wrong w/the Defense? - 490 Pass Yards to Steelers!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Lack of obvious holding calls against the opposition which gives opposing QBs an unfair advantage and facing very good passing games with Cary Williams and Jeremy Lane in his first game since the Super Bowl might have something to do with giving up a lot of yardage to those two teams. If either game is officiated fairly, the Seahawks win in blowouts and the passing totals are nowhere near what they were.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Inability to get consistent pressure form front four..that's it. Some of it may be opposite cb and Dcoordinator, but i think it's mainly the front 4 pressure. Hell we can't even get pressure sometimes with blitz's!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
cHawkPhan":1zkehu3e said:
Aros":1zkehu3e said:
Cartire":1zkehu3e said:
Granted, 480 is a bit much.

Actually it was 456 and thank God because 480 would just be gaudy.
No, it was 490
456 from Big Ben
and another 34 from L. Jones

Well now it's just gaudy.

razor150

Reaction score
What I don't get is when we won the Super Bowl our pass rush was at it's best when we had Clemons at DE, Bennett at DT, and Avril at DE. I was kind of expecting a resurrection of that when we drafted Clark, but Clark is nowhere to be seen and Bennett seems to be used exclusively as DE for pass rush, even though he can wreak havok from the inside.

On passing downs would we look better if we were Clark, Hill, Bennett, and Avril a crossed the line?

Largent80

Reaction score
Did you even watch the game o.p.?

Linebacker's were terrible. D-line let fat assed qb step right around them. Look no further.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":105526a0 said:
What I don't get is when we won the Super Bowl our pass rush was at it's best when we had Clemons at DE, Bennett at DT, and Avril at DE. I was kind of expecting a resurrection of that when we drafted Clark, but Clark is nowhere to be seen and Bennett seems to be used exclusively as DE for pass rush, even though he can wreak havok from the inside.

On passing downs would we look better if we were Clark, Hill, Bennett, and Avril a crossed the line?

It wasn't so much positions, as a deep effective rotation in 2013 that kept everyone fresh and hungry.

But yes, more needs to come out of guys like Clark, Irvin, Hill, Mebane, Rubin..........so that Bennett and Avril don't have to play every snap, which means they wear out in the 4th quarter.

Largent80

Reaction score
Take a look at the first quarter time of possession, I told my wiife at that point we were in trouble, point the finger squarely at D.L. and L.B.

Rewatch the game.

OP
OP
C

cHawkPhan

Reaction score
Largent80":20u7h2vj said:

Linebacker's were terrible. D-line let fat assed qb step right around them. Look no further.
So the reason we are 6-6 after leading the last 12 games is because our LB's stunk yesterday and because our Dline let Ben move around freely yesterday.
The question was season long...since the SB. Why don't you read the question before you just try insulting the poster. Did YOU watch the game. Our CB's never got beat? You liked our defensive scheme/playcalling? We started playing defenses we have never played before trying to find an answer to their pass attack.
...And I always see linebackers and D-lineman get all the blame for giving up passing yards :roll:

Largent80

Reaction score
cHawkPhan":3nx173yq said:
Largent80":3nx173yq said:

So the reason we are 6-6 after leading the last 12 games is because our LB's stunk yesterday and because our Dline let Ben move around freely yesterday.
The question was season long...since the SB. Why don't you read the question before you just try insulting the poster. Did YOU watch the game. Our CB's never got beat? You liked our defensive scheme/playcalling? We started playing defenses we have never played before trying to find an answer to their pass attack.
...And I always see linebackers and D-lineman get all the blame for giving up passing yards :roll:

Good for you. Disagreeing is part of this forum. As a person that just joined you'll find out soon there will be much for you to disagree with.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
And the hand wringing begins. This is a game that we should all feel good about not concern. There were a lot of positives with our D and is not a garbage defense. This reminds me of people in college who would get upset cause they got a 96 instead of a100.

Largent80

Reaction score
cHawkPhan":2hc1nkj8 said:
Largent80":2hc1nkj8 said:

If you have even watched football at all you would know that the defensive line makes the backfield do what they do and when they aren't getting it done the defensive backfield pays the price. Our linebacker's have consistently let pass catchers run freely past them. Yesterday included. Watch the game again Padawan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1x63r3ks said:
And the hand wringing begins. This is a game that we should all feel good about not concern. There were a lot of positives with our D and is not a garbage defense. This reminds me of people in college who would get upset cause they got a 96 instead of a100.

I haven't seen anybody say they don't feel good about yesterday, but 90% of the feel good is how the offense performed, not the 30 pts and 500 yards the D gave up.

So that's what we're complaining about.

That's how sports works, it's not black and white, or all or none...........we don't JUST have to feel amazing excitement OR abject disappointment. There's a gray area to discuss both sides of each loss and win.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
It may be worth noting that big Ben is putting up around 350 yards per game this season, which is pretty impressive, and that even with him being out 4 games they are still the #5 passing offense in the NFL.

It may also be worth noting that Pittsburgh runs a zone-blitz defense which is effectively cover-3, which varies from our defense only in that they blitz more aggressively. This familiarity in each other's defensive styles certainly contributed to the effectiveness of both QBs - both teams know how to attack each other's defenses because it's what they run themselves.

It may also be worth noting that we have a very strong run defense and Pittsburgh has a very weak running game with the injury to Bell, so they were always going to rely on the pass to beat us.

But please don't let these mitigating circumstances derail a perfectly good rant.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xewqwexr said:
seahawkfreak":xewqwexr said:

I haven't seen anybody say they don't feel good about yesterday, but 90% of the feel good is how the offense performed, not the 30 pts and 500 yards the D gave up.

That's how sports works, it's not black and white, or all or none...........we don't JUST have to feel amazing excitement OR abject disappointment. There's a gray area to discuss both sides of each loss and win.

The name of the post is " what's wrong with our defense "? Sherman had a career game. The Dline isn't getting pressure because Pittsburgh has a good Oline and we rarely blitz. ET and KC aren't playing at their best. Lane just got back and Shead is a new starter. These are all things that can be fixed or improved and looking at the stats is not the way to look at how well the defense played, IMO. The D had some big moments yesterday and I don't think that should be taken away from them. They came through for us.

I'm not trying to stop a discussion. I feel over reacting takes away from our best win of the season though.

Largent80

Reaction score
I still can't believe we rushed 3 so many times and they still completed passes with 8 in coverage.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Earl had a bad game, he didn't wrap up tackles, he missed some opportunites and took the wrong angles. Again I think he is over thinking and not playing his position. He needs to get back to the basics, trust his coaches and team mates. He shouldn't be leaning towards any one side, his speed should be good enough. I can't expect him to play poorly after having so many games under his belt. Something is really off that I am not sure what it is.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
When I think back, the secondary didn't look like they were getting burned, it looked more like crazy accurate passes combined with extremely fast WRs with amazing hands. I'm going to put more blame on the interior pass rush, Big Ben had A LOT of time to make his passes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":11dkluua said:
Sgt. Largent":11dkluua said:
seahawkfreak":11dkluua said:

The name of the post is " what's wrong with our defense "? Sherman had a career game. The Dline isn't getting pressure because Pittsburgh has a good Oline and we rarely blitz. ET and KC aren't playing at their best. Lane just got back and Shead is a new starter. These are all things that can be fixed or improved and looking at the stats is not the way to look at how well the defense played, IMO. The D had some big moments yesterday and I don't think that should be taken away from them. They came through for us.

I'm not trying to stop a discussion. I feel over reacting takes away from our best win of the season though.

Well some of us don't think it's overreacting to be concerned with giving up 30 pts and 500 yards of offense......at home.

If you think this is the same dominating defense of the past 2 years, then I think you're crazy. Cause I see some serious issues right now, 5 blown leads, lack of pressure, bad DT play, and the LOB giving up huge plays.