What's Marshawn's cap hit?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
"The circumstances rolled just at this time, and he could have four or five games left in him, maybe that’s what we need.”

From https://www.seahawks.com/news/pete-carr ... hawn-lynch

From now including the SB is potentially five games. But only one on the regular season clock.

Do playoff salaries count against the cap? Or are playoff possibilities "baked into" yearly contracts (the one Marshawn signed is for a year-long contract, but backdated to March 2019).

Anyone see how much we're paying Marshawn yet?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I’m more concerned about his bong hit than his cap hit. Hopefully he can pass the test.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If he started abstaining 12/8 (day Penny got hurt), then with cardio training, drinking lots of water and eating steaks could give him a clean test. (Steaks b/c they contain creatinine, which is what tests measure to make sure the pee hasn't been internally "diluted."

But if he does piss dirty, he gets a warning. And to be fair, they'd have to wait 2-4 weeks to piss test him again to make sure it wasn't the same incident.

Look, it's no secret that Marshawn smokes weed. But clearly, this was an issue that he and Hawks had figured out before maybe even 12/12.

seabowl

Reaction score
It's not the cap "hit" I'm worried about. The money isn't going to be that "high".

:sarcasm_off:

Elemas

Reaction score
brimsalabim":iki9z9j9 said:
I’m more concerned about his bong hit than his cap hit. Hopefully he can pass the test.

Literally made me spit up my Monster energy drink... :p

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Players get "game checks" every week of the regular season... so 17 total (typically).

The NFL pays the players once the playoffs start... the team does not so playoff checks don't affect a team's cap space.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":16e37i2h said:
Players get "game checks" every week of the regular season... so 17 total (typically).

The NFL pays the players once the playoffs start... the team does not so playoff checks don't affect a team's cap space.

Yep, which is what makes his contract interesting.

Week 17 basically has to account for his hypothetical salary through the playoffs too.

The 25k the NFL is giving per game for the the first two rounds and the 50k for the next round ain't really meaningful.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1rqp50fx said:
onanygivensunday":1rqp50fx said:

Yep, which is what makes his contract interesting.

Week 17 basically has to account for his hypothetical salary through the playoffs too.

The 25k the NFL is giving per game for the the first two rounds and the 50k for the next round ain't really meaningful.

Agreed. ML is not coming up here to earn less than $100K for one game from us plus $50K.

It's interesting none of the journos have addressed this, especially as his agent Tweeted a picture of the contract (but not the pay structure). I thought reporting against the cap (however little) was an NFL requirement. Overthecap even has Mone and Dakota Watson's numbers, which are relatively miniscule.

But crickets on what Marshawn's getting.

Redsand187

Reaction score
Does it really matter? Over the cap says there is $5million in cap space. NFL pays for the playoffs. They could pay him $100,000 per carry and be more than fine.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Well yeah it matters if they're withholding one player's cap hit versus another's for any reason if the rule is to report all players.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

From this, you can see what Dekota Watson and Bryan Mone are making against the cap, even though they were just signed. This tracker is almost real time for everyone else. If that's the rule, it should hold for ML and Turbin just as much as for anyone else.

Question though, can clubs sign players in the postseason and "contribute" cap toward what the NFL is paying them?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Contract wasn't signed until after regular close-of-business hours, right? How the hell fast do you people want this stuff to get reported, anyway?!? Jeez Louise, everyone just calm your tits.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1xguv6ot said:
Contract wasn't signed until after regular close-of-business hours, right? How the hell fast do you people want this stuff to get reported, anyway?!? Jeez Louise, everyone just calm your tits.

I'm just irritated that the number didn't get reported if it's supposed to. That would have been pretty easy yesterday given that the agent Tweeted parts of the contract itself.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I think the NFL has to approve it too. Just like the signings. Which was announced as official less than an hour ago.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wait, are you suggesting that the contract ML's agent Tweeted didn't get signed?

If it did get signed yesterday, the number could have been reported that day. I don't care if it's $10M or $1M for a prorated year, it's something that is usually divulged when players sign.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
The Post season is considered a new season, remember when the Seahawks signed a kicker who had played all the regular season for a team that missed the playoffs. Also the payments which are listed in the NFL Record and Fact book are set amounts per game no matter who you are or what you did. The Seahawks also signed a wide receiver as a back up who came on for one play when the ball went no where near him and he still got his $28k.

mikeak

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2u79vgda said:

There are articles out there stating that with the NFL substance testing it is impossible for Lynch to get suspended in 2019. Based on not being in the protocol when he retired and how a first positive test would be handled he can play until April next year prior to any suspension.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
To answer the OP's question about cap hit if I understand it right it would be 1/17th of whatever annual salary they agreed upon and someone said on the radio, KJR, that they would have to use his last contract numbers from the Raiders in order to sign him like they did and that was 5 Mil a year, according to KJR, and that would be just under 300K.

As far as drug testing goes, for those NFL players not "in the system" for flunking a prior test, and Marshawn isn't part of that, the annual testing window is before the season began so if I understand it right, he won't be subject to pissing in a bottle since he never "officially" retired from the NFL.

I may be wrong, but that's the way it was explained on KJR by I think Cliff Avril, but don't hold me to that, it may have been someone else that knew well what the NFL policies about drug testing are.

Here's to Beast Quake 3.0 :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

GO HAWKS!!!

12HF