What scares you about this matchup?

Laloosh

Reaction score
We don't have to sack Brady, just have to pressure him and he'll be throwing at guys' feet. I actually think we get 2 picks in this game. Irvin and Avril off of the edge and Bennett in the middle to get interior pressure on 3rd and 5+.

Wilfork is so slow and seems incapable of affecting a play if you make him move laterally. I think we see some naked boots to ninkovich's side of the field.

Rodgers had miles of grass in front of him in week 13 that Russell would have turned into 1st downs.

I also think Lynch finds some nice cutback lanes if NE plays him like they did Lacy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NE's penalty flag offense/defense aka Rog's goons!

The league is pissed off at the Hawks right now, see Lynch and Sherm, and Rog like most CEO types has a very fragile ego and a very thin skin.

Tical21

Reaction score
To me it comes down to how we play against their man coverage. We've been good against cover 0, but abysmal against cover-1. They're not going to give up yards to the read option, they're just not. They're going to bring the safety down and play man with a guy responsible for Russell. They're not going to let Lynch beat them. They're going to line up and make our WR's make plays against their corners. Bevell knows this, and has a plan for it. My fear is that Belichick is ready for this plan, and we don't have anything else ready to go.

Their offense doesn't scare me. We're better suited to stop Gronk than any other team out there. I don't see them scoring many points. But I have a hard time seeing us score that many either, unless Bevell guesses right a lot of the time, and our receivers win those matchups that we are targeting. Teams with physical corners have given us fits for a few years. I think it's a bad matchup for our offense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":1z3kogrx said:
To me it comes down to how we play against their man coverage. We've been good against cover 0, but abysmal against cover-1. They're not going to give up yards to the read option, they're just not. They're going to bring the safety down and play man with a guy responsible for Russell. They're not going to let Lynch beat them. They're going to line up and make our WR's make plays against their corners. Bevell knows this, and has a plan for it. My fear is that Belichick is ready for this plan, and we don't have anything else ready to go.

Their offense doesn't scare me. We're better suited to stop Gronk than any other team out there. I don't see them scoring many points. But I have a hard time seeing us score that many either, unless Bevell guesses right a lot of the time, and our receivers win those matchups that we are targeting. Teams with physical corners have given us fits for a few years. I think it's a bad matchup for our offense.

You really think they'll shut down the read option? I don't think they have the speed to do it. Another thing I'd like to see is Lynch in motion to Ninkovich's side and hit him on that wheel route similar to the GB game.

LTH

Reaction score
pehawk":2jvood77 said:
So, what is causing you concern or nervousness heading into this game? Here's a few of mine.

I am comcerned about not setting the tone early because of penalties... having situations that give us 3rd and 3 and then a penalty that makes it 3-13 and not converting these early... I am concerned about defensive penalties that keep NE drives going because its going to be hard enough stopping their big TE... the hawks are one of the most penalized teams in the NFL and although the Hawks have managed to avoid losing games because of this its is something the Pats will take advatage of because of the quality of there team and the experience of Brady....

I think its important to have long sustained drives to control TOP to keep our D fresh ,control the clock and keep brady off the field and on the side line where he belongs....

LTH

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Laloosh":2e4uinn9 said:
Tical21":2e4uinn9 said:

You really think they'll shut down the read option? I don't think they have the speed to do it. Another thing I'd like to see is Lynch in motion to Ninkovich's side and hit him on that wheel route similar to the GB game.
Agreed, NE doesn't have the speed to stop the RO for any period of time. They may get lucky a time or two early on but that's going to be it. .....and as soon as they sell their soul and load up the box, you drop a pass to Luke Willson for a 60 yard TD pass.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Nothing. If the Seahawks play their game nobody beats them.

Having won the Lombardi last year sort of makes losing a bearable option. I believe that the Hawks will have more chances in the coming years. How great is that?

What I mean is its not a "now or never" type of panic.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The point columns on the scoreboard!

We could struggle to run the ball, drop passes, whiff tackles, receive a level of officiating that makes XL look fair, block like a revolving door made out of Swiss cheese, and/or whatever else and still be able to win. Sure, playing poorly or being relatively out-played is unpleasant to be a part of as a player. Sure, it's frustrating to watch as a fan. Depending on the frequency of these struggles, it might even bode very poorly for any future success we might hope to have. If we won ugly then we would even be subject to all sorts of attempts to undermine this team's achievement from other fan-bases.

Nevertheless, the Super Bowl is a single game and what we want from this experience above all else is the outcome. That outcome can happen with or without so many individual aspects of the game. We could do to "playing well" what Tebow did to the "forward pass" and still win as he so often did under one sole condition: That the collection of bulbs and wattage displaying the two clusters of light we interpret as the score show a larger numerical value for our guys than theirs after the acceptable amount of time for an NFL contest has passed. Thus, those numbers could be a pairing that denies us our preferred outcome. Above of all else, this is what terrifies me about this match-up. It also ought to scare all of you more than pass-rushers not getting to Brady, Gronk grinding out third-down conversions, our offense doing what it did for the first 56 minutes of the NFCCG, or whatever else!

That or turnovers. How can we not be at least a little nervous about turnovers after last week?

Rocket

Reaction score
Ruminator":3r9qmffc said:
My only real concern is #25 and #29 -- will they be able to deliver the hits all game long despite the injuries sustained in the NFCC game? That's really about it for me.

That

Mick063

Reaction score
The only concern I have is Seattle beating themselves.

Penalties, turnovers, that type of thing.

If they play with some acceptable degree of discipline and don't give the ball away, I think they curbstomp the Patriots.

If they make too many mistakes, I think they we go on a rollercoaster ride like we had against the Packers. It was a cool ride, but I don't want to get back on it again. Then again, maybe it would be cool to let them feel like they have the game won, completely break them down with seconds remaining, reach into their chest cavity, pull their heart out and show it to them, and stay forever in their heads like what has already happened to San Francisco and Green Bay. Taste their delicious tears for months about what almost could have been, instead of the fleeting, whipped puppy affair with Denver.

jhawk91

Reaction score
QB pressure by a loooong shot. In some games it looks like there is none whatsoever, and against a really good QB like Brady that scares me. I really don't know what they are going to be able to do to get to him

If I had to pick another it'd be turnovers with stupid penalties close behind that. I do to know how many times in that panther game I was screaming at my TV for something stupid a hawks player did that drew a flag. (Hitting a guy out of bounds, and dumb unsportsmanlike conduct crap that is easily avoidable)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":26une7io said:
Laloosh":26une7io said:
Tical21":26une7io said:

Agreed, NE doesn't have the speed to stop the RO for any period of time. They may get lucky a time or two early on but that's going to be it. .....and as soon as they sell their soul and load up the box, you drop a pass to Luke Willson for a 60 yard TD pass.

Yeah, I think Willson is going to have a lot of opportunities as well. Watching them against NYJ, their SS was getting caught w/ his eyes in the backfield, and gave up a TD on a seam route to the TE. Ninkovich can't cover L. Willson so I'd like to see some trips left, TE to the right and get L. Willson in the flat or up the seam. Maybe Lynch on that wheel route we saw against GB as well if we can get a LB in m2m.

If the running game isn't going too well I also think you can move the pocket to the right on them on 1st and 2nd down, Wilfork just becomes a body out there with no impact and the backside pursuit seems kind of slow. Hit Willson on a crossing route behind the LBs.

Regarding the RO, Ninkovich played assignment football on the right side but the guy's so slow I think Russ can literally run around him. Collins and Jones weren't consistent in keying the QB on the RO to the left either. Lot of rushing yards to be had for Russell if they are that sloppy with it against us. Could be a lot of 5-7 yard gains to be had by Russ there.

Mick063

Reaction score
jhawk91":masofzzi said:
QB pressure by a loooong shot. In some games it looks like there is none whatsoever, and against a really good QB like Brady that scares me. I really don't know what they are going to be able to do to get to him

If I had to pick another it'd be turnovers with stupid penalties close behind that. I do to know how many times in that panther game I was screaming at my TV for something stupid a hawks player did that drew a flag. (Hitting a guy out of bounds, and dumb unsportsmanlike conduct crap that is easily avoidable)

They get pressure when the offense gives them proper rest. Pass rushes are like a pitch count. You only get so many effective fast balls. Give the opponent a huge margin in time of possession and the pitch count is used up quickly.

This is what happened in San Diego, against Dallas, against Green Bay.

It is up to the offense to keep the pass rush fresh.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NE may not have speed up front, but I think speed is more useful against read-option if you lack discipline. I expect them to be keyed up on read-option -- there will be extra men, and they'll play the QB before they play the cutback. Plus, they got Wilfork occupying the space of two men in the middle, so there will be less urgency to dive off the edge. I don't expect read-option to be as open as others do. NE will be disciplined.

My concern is whether or not Kearse can win his deep match-ups. The game may turn on whether he can convert on 2 or 3 big plays. I think NE will do its part to erase Doug Baldwin because he's currently the only Seattle WR worth a damn. They will dare Wilson to throw at a lesser receiver (potentially covered by Revis) in a one-on-one . Can Lockette and/or Norwood be visible? Can Luke Willson withstand Browner's physicality? Losing Paul Richardson is so big, and Revis gives them a lot of flexibility in the secondary.

SirTed

Reaction score
2 street free agents in our DT rotation. I can't believe people aren't talking about this. It's giving me nightmares. If I were the Pats I'd run a mix of two TE's and or an H-Back and run no huddle / uptempo all day. If the Hawks come out in Nickle you run the ball. If they come out with the scrubs, you can dink / dunk.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I'm afraid Kam will kill someone on the field and congress will ban football.

SC

Cyrus12

Reaction score
1. We need to rush Brady...he is the most immobile QB in the league, okay maybe a tie with peypey, he needs to be forced to make a mistake....Worried our guys won't get there giving him all sorts of time. Avrial and Bennet need to have the game of their lives.

2. That being said worried about holding by the Pats OL on the edge not being called...

3. Worried about our depth at the WR position. Lets face it these guys are not elite but are all heart and have something to prove. They will need to get separation and get open...and hold onto the damn ball!!

4. Worried about an early dirty hit taking one of our stars out of the game. We know Belicheat will do anything to win. After all it would only be a 15 yd penalty....

5. The refs...nuff said

6. Our returners giving up a turnover...Sorry I have no faith in Walters or ADB back there...I get scared everytime they try and run with it.

7. Giving up a TD return to Edelman...

8. The o-line not giving anytime for Wilson to do anything.

9. Injuries early....the ones not caused by cheapshots

10. 5 yard loss screen passes...Bevell

11. stupid penalties that cost us

12. Haushka having a bad day...

13. The fans being pro Patriots at the game.

14. whether or not Katy Perry has a wardrobe malfunction

15. other than that I am confident......

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Two things are worrying me...

1. Belechick's eligible/ineligible so-quick-you-might-miss-it sleight of hand. It's even confusing for the refs - the Patriots scored a touchdown in the Colts game with an illegal substitution that was never called. There's still confusion swirling about referee hand signals, etc. If they do the whole "Hey ref - this guy's eligible and this other one isn't...and hike!" it's tantamount to cheating IMO.

2. Tommy Two-Step. He gets that ball out fast. I hope our D is quicker in both pressure and coverage.

Latest posts