what no bevell threads yet?

Cartire

Reaction score
pehawk":1fhhsiep said:
Confirmed Bevell screw-ups like not knowing how to coach a screen play?

We've done plenty of legit HB screen plays. Holding the ball to long, blockers not getting out in time, and defenses countering correctly are not a fault of coaching. If we always screwed up HB screens, I would agree with you, but HB screens are usually a sure thing for us. Today was different.

Now bubble screens... Well, Yea, those rarely work and its evident that they either arent being coaches right, or our guys just cant execute them and they shouldnt be called period. Rip Bevell all you want on those.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2f7paswc said:
razgriz737":2f7paswc said:
Can someone explain to me why Bevell likes to call short passing plays on 3rd and long (often when it's more than 10 yards)? This happened multiple times today as it does every game. It's the equivalent of Holmgren going with a draw on 3rd and long. One specific example was right before Hauschka's 52 yard FG. The route by the receiver on the play gave us 1 yard.
Because our defense was playing so well that punting and field goals were better than trying a long pass.
In that case it seems like it would just make more sense to run. I guess I'm just not seeing the point in a 1 yard pass play where that receiver was the first read.

Cartire

Reaction score
razgriz737":27b1knjb said:
Cartire":27b1knjb said:
razgriz737":27b1knjb said:
Can someone explain to me why Bevell likes to call short passing plays on 3rd and long (often when it's more than 10 yards)? This happened multiple times today as it does every game. It's the equivalent of Holmgren going with a draw on 3rd and long. One specific example was right before Hauschka's 52 yard FG. The route by the receiver on the play gave us 1 yard.

Passing plays have more then one target. No one on this forum (no matter what they claim) has any idea what play is called and what reads are being made, and it what order. RW could be hitting a quick read underneath. The play could be called to do that only. The other receivers are bottled up and hes hitting a check down.

The result of a play does not mean that was the only option for that play.

Can we at least keep the Bevell blame to confirmed Bevell screw-ups. Its getting really boring reading nothing but blame threads after wins.
The plays I'm talking about are designed plays. The receiver was clearly the first read. And I'm not asking to make a point, I'm asking so someone with more football knowledge than me can answer my question. No need for snark.

It wasnt snark. And a design first read doesnt mean it has to be thrown to that player. Those plays are called because we assume the defense is playing back further and a crossing route underneath can shake a man or slip in-between a zone. There are still other reads though, and when that player underneath isnt in a good position, then the ball shouldnt be thrown there.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cartire":170mtous said:
pehawk":170mtous said:
Confirmed Bevell screw-ups like not knowing how to coach a screen play?

We've done plenty of legit HB screen plays. Holding the ball to long, blockers not getting out in time, and defenses countering correctly are not a fault of coaching. If we always screwed up HB screens, I would agree with you, but HB screens are usually a sure thing for us. Today was different.

Now bubble screens... Well, Yea, those rarely work and its evident that they either arent being coaches right, or our guys just cant execute them and they shouldnt be called period. Rip Bevell all you want on those.

Yeah, that's kind of the OC's job to teach and tell those guys when to throw the ball, or when to release as blockers. Today are the first attempts at blitz beating screens, and for anyone to say anything other than "those we're a mess from top to bottom" isn't really being honest. That was PUTRID.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure RW has the option to change plays.

Can't remember where I read it, but supposedly RW is given three different plays and he makes the decision which to use.

Of course, if he's given three crappy plays... :stirthepot:

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I want to know why it took Bevell until the middle of the 3rd quarter to finally go away from the read option after ample evidence that Arizona had it shut down.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
LymonHawk":36uccq23 said:
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure RW has the option to change plays.

Can't remember where I read it, but supposedly RW is given three different plays and he makes the decision which to use.

Of course, if he's given three crappy plays... :stirthepot:

What if it was really Caliendo posing as Bevil and those three plays were all spider-two-y-banana.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
storm74":1y86qj1e said:
Cartire":1y86qj1e said:
Can we at least keep the Bevell blame to confirmed Bevell screw-ups. Its getting really boring reading nothing but blame threads after wins.

No, I am on a personal mission to get rid of a terrible OC by bitching about him non-stop.

By complaining about a coach in a fan forum? Yeah I'm sure Paul Allen, Pete and John come here often to get schooled on the deficiencies of their offensive coordinator.

Latest posts