What is the best trade in Seahawks history?

Best trade in Hawks history?

• 8th round pick (1977) to Houston Oilers for Steve Largent

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • Fredd Young to Indianapolis Colts for 1st round pick (#15, 1989) and 1st round pick (#10, 1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Mirer and 4th round pick (1997) to Chicago Bears for 1st round pick (#11, 1997)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 1st round pick (#12, 1997) and 3rd round pick (1997) to Tampa Bay for 1st round pick (#6, 1997, beca

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Joey Galloway to Dallas Cowboys for 1st round pick (#19, 2000, became Shaun Alexander) and 1st round

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 2nd round pick (2009) to Denver Broncos for 1st round pick (#14, 2010, became Earl Thomas)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 4th round pick (2011) and 5th round pick (2012) to Buffalo Bills for Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Frank Clark and 3rd round pick (2019) to Kansas City Chiefs for 1st round pick (#29, 2019), 3rd roun

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin, and 3rd Round Pick (2020) to Houston Texans for Jadeveon Clowney

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

quadsas

Reaction score
chris98251":anx52c22 said:
quadsas":anx52c22 said:
Put this baby back in her crib and give her a binky till she learns that instant gratification in sports isn't what it's about but moments in time and history of a franchise that makes them worth watching, the ups and the downs.

Really dumb thing to say when we're talking the GREATEST trade. what's the greatest achievement in Seahawks history? Winning Superbowl I'd say. In what way did Largent trade contribute to that?

chris98251

Reaction score
quadsas":1ng9840y said:
chris98251":1ng9840y said:
quadsas":1ng9840y said:
Put this baby back in her crib and give her a binky till she learns that instant gratification in sports isn't what it's about but moments in time and history of a franchise that makes them worth watching, the ups and the downs.

Really dumb thing to say when we're talking the GREATEST trade. what's the greatest achievement in Seahawks history? Winning Superbowl I'd say. In what way did Largent trade contribute to that?

Again no appreciation for the history of the game, Kennedy, Jones, Easley, Springs, didn't have anything to do with it either but I guess don't matter for shit according to you as far as this franchise goes, for that matter Clowney since he has not won a Super Bowl here so must not be considered either.

Do you need to be burped yet?

quadsas

Reaction score
chris98251":2jn4sz8a said:
quadsas":2jn4sz8a said:
chris98251":2jn4sz8a said:
quadsas":2jn4sz8a said:

Again no appreciation for the history of the game, Kennedy, Jones, Easley, Springs, didn't have anything to do with it either but I guess don't matter for shit according to you as far as this franchise goes, for that matter Clowney since he has not won a Super Bowl here so must not be considered either.

You're Chris-ing right now. I honestly think you might be getting senile. Absolutely worthless non arguments as to how Largent trade contributed to our biggest achievement.

chris98251

Reaction score
quadsas":1ar5ukyn said:
chris98251":1ar5ukyn said:
quadsas":1ar5ukyn said:

You're Chris-ing right now. I honestly think you might be getting senile. Absolutely worthless non arguments as to how Largent trade contributed to our biggest achievement.

Your rebuttals? Nothing, you discount every major part of Seahawks history and bench mark. A franchise in any year is a product of it's history.

I bet you would have been a great Florida Marlins fan when they bought the World Series and then fell of the map also.

Fade

Reaction score
In a vacuum value wise it has to be Largent.

But I went with the Earl trade. That defense that dominated for a half decade, and I would consider the best of all-time when factoring in modernity. Doesn't happen without Earl. He was the centerpiece to their 1 high scheme.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Steve Largent, hands down.

Why? Because somebody in the Seahawks Organization saw something special (imho) and got Seattle transcendent player that seemed as "Plain Jane" as it gets. But that player put the Seahawks on the map and announced their arrival in the NFL in a BIG way!

It's not too uncommon to see a trade made that nets a team a player that everyone expects to be good, but to get a "nobody" for an 8th round pick and to have that man set the record for receiving touchdowns while playing on an upstart team with who at Quarterback? Some kid with tiny hands from the non-existent Milton College? I

One could see 100 touchdowns by a receiver on a perennial playoff team, where they play extra games every year. And such a receiver that played from the 80s onward when rules were changed to benefit offenses, would have an easier time reaching 100 TDs than Steve Largent did.

So IMHO, this is the best trade ever for what we have up, what little was expected out of what we got, and the fact that the player we got, ended up in the Hall of Fame!

All those other players? They are expected to be good, so everyone saw the value of the trade. I'm sure many said "Who? What? Meh."

peppersjap

Reaction score
Schneider has been pretty impressive this off season. The Texans board is blowing up with discontent. He traded a guy who was (probably) going to be cut and a 3rd rounder that we could possibly get back. So it might end up being a trade of Jacob Martin for Clowney. I really like Martin but this was a great trade but the Largent and Lynch trades are still better (for now)!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seymour":2p4hjz7q said:
Largent.....and it aint even close!!

This.

A HOF'er and arguably the best receiver in his era that was one of the founding players of our franchise for an 8th rounder? It's hard for me to believe that we're even debating this. We should be voting for the 2nd best trade in Seahawk history.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Gotta love the Largent trade, but from a GM perspective, that is a trade that happened to work out better than anybody could have imagined.

Based on known things and fleecing the other team? I like the Mirer trade, but getting $7 million from the Texans as part of the Clowney trade? That's a special kind "making the other guy your bitch" trade.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkGA":35hr4usa said:
Gotta love the Largent trade, but from a GM perspective, that is a trade that happened to work out better than anybody could have imagined.

Based on known things and fleecing the other team? I like the Mirer trade, but getting $7 million from the Texans as part of the Clowney trade? That's a special kind "making the other guy your bitch" trade.

I agree, at least at this point of the trade, this is the biggest fleecing of another team that we've ever done.

JS obviously played a pretty good hand of poker, but you have to attribute most of this deal to the Texan's incompetence. They're the ones that put themselves into this position in the first place.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I voted Marshawn Lynch. I don't think the Hawks win a Super Bowl without that trade. He gave the Hawks the identity they needed in the running game to make Carroll's plan go.

Earl Thomas trade is a close second, because he was such a vital part of the Defense that won Seattle the Super Bowl too. But given how little they gave up for Marshawn and the impact he had on the whole team identity, I have to give that one the edge.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3tu26ec9 said:
quadsas":3tu26ec9 said:
Marshawn trade bar none. Did Largent trade laid foundation for Super Bowl win? If no, then it cannot be the best. Trophies is all that matters and without Marshawn trade there's no Superbowl

I tend to lean this way.

So based on this logic the Percy Harvin trade was equal?

Acquisitions should based on the actual player and not the team they were lucky enough to land on. That's like saying the Largent trade or the Walter Jones trade is worthless because the team didn't win a super bowl, even though they elevated the team as much or more than any other transaction in team history.

My favorite trade would be Largent, but I'm old.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7luadx3z said:
chris98251":7luadx3z said:
Sgt. Largent":7luadx3z said:
To me it's not even close, Lynch.

Before Marshawn we were a soft "finesse" team without an identity. Yes all the young stars Pete and John drafted on defense helped cement those team's nasty physical punishing style that Pete wanted.........but make no mistake who the tone setter and identity came from, Marshawn.

And we rode that identity all the way to two SB's. No other trade compares.

Yeah all those years with Easley and Tez were Finesse years when Knox wanted to run the ball with Warner, John L Williams

Ok discredited...…………..

I didn't mean for the entire existence of the organization. I meant before Pete and John traded for Marshawn and built their defense, Holmgren's Hawks were a soft finesse team.

Man you guys are sensitive about this question. It's a subjective question, but I appreciate the fervor and passion in which you guys are defending Largent. It's kinda cute.

I don't know if it is defending Largent. If not for officiating we win SBXL. Is it fair to discredit that entire roster due to the NFL handing the trophy to Pittsburgh before the game started?

The transaction isn't solely based on trophies or even where the team ended up each year. It should be based on how much that transaction helped the team overall. That is of course the impossible thing to answer which is why this is an opinion poll.

My opinion is no player or transaction should get credit for the players, coaching, ownership or the current state of the NFL. It should be based on how much that transaction helped the team.

Largent was a big factor in making both Jim Zorn and Dave Craig successful NFL QB's, and IMO was a huge factor who helped elevate those teams to potential playoff caliber.

He was on the team that played in the AFC championship game. Name 3 other pro bowlers from that team.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2c8p5se0 said:
SixSeahawk":2c8p5se0 said:
Lynch = Super Bowl

Everyone else = nothing.
Exactly. Not that the others were actually nothing, but the ultimate goal is the ultimate goal.

So Lynch was a great RB but apparently a great GM, coach and owner too?

Sorry, I think the Lynch transaction was huge but without everything that went into making that team, he has no trophies.

How many trophies did he win with Buffalo?

andyh64000

Reaction score
2_0_6":153d3vbk said:
Largent is one of my top 3 all time favorite Hawks, but bringing in Lynch solidified the nasty on this team and got us a Superbowl win.

Gotta go with Lynch personally.

I agree. This trade won us a Superbowl so it has to be tops.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bobblehead":22zhgfnp said:
Largent it seems will always be the #1 trade..aside from that..

Didn't we get Cortez Kennedy for the Fredd YOung trade.. as a #1 draft choice? That was a fantastic trade.. 2 first rounders which included Kennedy..

Any one today would call that a great trade.

Not quite. We dealt the Colts 1990 1st rounder (#10) along with our own (#8), plus a 3rd rounder and a 1991 4th rounder to the Patriots for their 1990 1st rounder (#3, Tez) and their 2nd rounder (Terry Wooden).

TreeRon

Reaction score
2_0_6":25bopt1r said:
Largent is one of my top 3 all time favorite Hawks, but bringing in Lynch solidified the nasty on this team and got us a Superbowl win.

Gotta go with Lynch personally.

This !!

Chawker

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't Largent trade part of sending Tony Dorsett to the Cowboys? :stirthepot:

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Chawker":2ykhbpot said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't Largent trade part of sending Tony Dorsett to the Cowboys? :stirthepot:

No. We dealt for Largent at the end of training camp in 1976. We dealt the #2 overall pick to Dallas shortly before the 1977 draft.

Latest posts