What do you think? O-Line Edition

Lost Puppy

Reaction score
yes, I know I will be shocked. I can't see anyone on the team replacing Okung anytime soon. But, you can't pay and have All-Pros at every position. It appears that OL is where the Seahawks have decided to pay less. They let Brenno go and will be using Britt at rookie salary, using Sweezy at RG for low money, Carp is in has last year and will be replaced by someone with rookie money. Bowie and Bailey allow rookie salaries for a few more years. Unger has to play better or I predict he will be eventually replaced,
But Seahawks have shown ability to put together a SB OL.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Lost Puppy":rehvhksn said:
yes, I know I will be shocked. I can't see anyone on the team replacing Okung anytime soon. But, you can't pay and have All-Pros at every position. It appears that OL is where the Seahawks have decided to pay less. They let Brenno go and will be using Britt at rookie salary, using Sweezy at RG for low money, Carp is in has last year and will be replaced by someone with rookie money. Bowie and Bailey allow rookie salaries for a few more years. Unger has to play better or I predict he will be eventually replaced,
But Seahawks have shown ability to put together a SB OL.

If Okung stays healthy the next 2 years I think he'll remain but if he keeps missing games, I don't see how they can pay him top $$ to not be on the field. In 4 years he's played 45 games.

lukerguy

Reaction score
This is just about RT.. the four other positions will be set.

I expect similar output from last year, if not a little better. Yes, we lost Giac, but Okung was injured for a good portion of the season, so was Carp, and Breno...Sweezey was still learning. Sweezey said he finally feels like he's an OLineman, not a Dlineman.

I am just hoping we can stay healthy. I was pleased with Bowie last year, so if Britt beats him out, then he'll be even better.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
lukerguy":wikmlnke said:
This is just about RT.. the four other positions will be set.

Nothing is ever set in this system. Of course our best players will always man the trenches, however, injuries always happen so it is never "set".

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I understand the slagging on Okung because a year ago I was one of the ones doing it. Top dollar guy, but too often injured. But Okungs play is head and shoulders above anybody else you care to name that is on our roster. The drop off at LT when he got hurt is testament to just how valuable he is. If he stays healthy I could easily see an all pro year for him. Surgery before the OTA's is not a good sign however and we really need him healthy right now, because a true replacement is not currently on the roster.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It will be interesting in TC to see who ends up taking snaps at LT behind Okung.

I can foresee a situation that Okung is slow to get back to health after off-season foot surgery and Cable moves Britt over to LT during TC and Britt plays well.

FWIW, Okung's 2014 cap hit is $11.2M and his dead money is $4.5M, leaving a potential cap savings of $6.7M if he is cut during TC for any reason. Mind you, I'm not advocating for that... but consider that it's definitely a possibility that Okung will not be offered an extension after 2014. He is scheduled to be a FA in 2016. And unless the cap grows exponentially, I don't see the Hawks extending both Wilson and Okung after this season. This is likely a pivotal year for Okung.

And considering other back-ups, Jeanpierre is scheduled to be a FA after 2014... so we'll need to either extend him or find another back-up center.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2flkl3a7 said:
I understand the slagging on Okung because a year ago I was one of the ones doing it. Top dollar guy, but too often injured. But Okungs play is head and shoulders above anybody else you care to name that is on our roster. The drop off at LT when he got hurt is testament to just how valuable he is. If he stays healthy I could easily see an all pro year for him. Surgery before the OTA's is not a good sign however and we really need him healthy right now, because a true replacement is not currently on the roster.
Assuming that the starts align in his favor, I could foresee Okung getting back to the Pro Bowl (especially considering all the alternates named due to injury and SB participants) but he's never shown that he's in the running for an All Pro honor. That not a reasonable expectation.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, Okung has been Meh. Great sometimes, good sometimes, sucks sometimes and is injured almost as much as he plays.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This season is going to as much hinge on whether or not Okung and Unger bounce back as it will on who ends up at RT.