What did our defense do differently vs Cardinals?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it was Nwosu post game who said "stop the run and have some fun" when a reporter asked him what was different.

So there was definitely a concerted effort to stop the run so they could pin their ears back and rush the passer. Me thinks Hurtt got a little vocal during the week with his D-line getting gashed every game.

Other than that? Saw more man coverage, which tells you Pete's getting more comfortable with his young corners. This allows more guys in the box.

But this was Murray and a terrible Cards team without their top two RB's, so I'm going to need to see a bigger sample size over the next couple of weeks before I anoint the defense "fixed." Or even "better."

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Better gap control. 6 sacks, constant pressure & stopping the run were key. Murray got loose a few times, but he has done that to most D's since he came into the league. Doesn't matter whether it's D or O, win in the trenches and the whole unit performs better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They played more disciplined overall. Other than the 100 yards rushing by Mr. Body Language, they didn't do much of anything when it counted. 1 for 5 on 4th downs. 3 points of offense.
OWNED

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I think it was Nwosu post game who said "stop the run and have some fun" when a reporter asked him what was different.

So there was definitely a concerted effort to stop the run so they could pin their ears back and rush the passer. Me thinks Hurtt got a little vocal during the week with his D-line getting gashed every game.

Other than that? Saw more man coverage, which tells you Pete's getting more comfortable with his young corners. This allows more guys in the box.

But this was Murray and a terrible Cards team without their top two RB's, so I'm going to need to see a bigger sample size over the next couple of weeks before I anoint the defense "fixed." Or even "better."

Didnt Andy Dalton and the Saints, down top receivers, torch us the week before?

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Some of the adjustments started last game against the Saints. The defense still played like crap but some of the positive signs were there. They took it up a notch vs the Cardinals. Here are some of the adjustments that I'm aware of.

1) The Hawks are going back to Bear fronts on early downs. DT is not in on those downs. They have Nwosu, Harris, Mone, Poona, and Mafe lining up at the LOS. This allows for one on ones along the line. Players don't need to 2 gap as much. They just need to beat their man and not worry about holding on. This allows the LBs to fire off and play more free. They aren't waiting around for the Dline to hold their blocks. They just fire off now. The edge is still being lost though. They need to get better there. The middle is not being gashed as much.

2) On obvious passing downs, they rolled out DT to attack the QB. They take Barton off and put in Ryan Neal to roam around in a dime package. Josh Jones is the SS. Neal's sack was a pretty cool blitz. They were showing 5 up front to blitz. They rushed Neal while dropping Nwosu and Brooks. Confused the heck out of the Cardinals.

**The next adjustments are to figure out the edges and the other CB position. They need someone to step up and set the edge more so plays get turned back inside. They also need one of Burns, S. Jones, or Tre Brown to step up into the LCB role. Not a huge hole but it can elevate the defense even more.
This pretty much tells the story completely right here! Great post. Definitely saw more Bear fronts. That was a particularly effective game plan and usage of personnel especially given that Al Woods was unavailable. One-gapping was allowing Poona and Mone to punish the G/C combo 1v1. The interior pressure and distuption in turn forced Benjamin and Kyler to turn runs outside where Nwosu and Mafe both were playing with wonderful leverage. Even though Kyler gashed us a few times, this is really what turned the Cards offensive game plan a little one-dimensional.

Stickier coverage on the back end with a higher dose of man coverage with a shell to stop the big shot downfield. Taylor playing mostly on pass rushing downs, pinning his ears back and not having to think about how many steps he needs to take before he has to use his hands and set the edge.

I think it's fair to say that the Cardinals played like ass, honestly. But I think it's also fair to say that Hurtt and Co. made some pretty crucial adjustments to better play to the strengths of their available personnel. This was something that took a lot longer to come to fruition with the previous coordination regime.

Msfann

Reaction score
We have a new D and it might take a bit to get used to, like I said in another thread hopefully this means they are starting to gel together and get better and better.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Simply, they took Barton off the field and replaced him with a down lineman. I remember seeing a graphic that Brooks played 100% of 71 snaps and Barton was like 39%.

cymatica

Reaction score
Simply, they took Barton off the field and replaced him with a down lineman. I remember seeing a graphic that Brooks played 100% of 71 snaps and Barton was like 39%.
I've been asking for this for weeks. At least they are finally adjusting.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Noise from Twelves may have helped, and 2nd half conditioning seemed impressive for guys like Harris and Jefferson and many up front.
Some defenses recently excell when they face struggling O lines, and the whole league is staring to resemble preseason again.
Just a missing player or 2 can matter...e.g, Hawks had to (try to) defend Patterson...49ers yesterday didn't have to defend Corderalle...but the 49ers also may have many pissing....
I saw only the youtube highlights, but was able to listen to Raible and Whyman on the radio(internet radio failed the last 2 weeks)

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Our 30th ranked defense limited Cardinals' 17th ranked offense (per PFF) to 9 points, we had 6 sacks, 10 tackle for lost, 7 QB hits. In the last few games, our defense couldn't do anything right, this game, it's so different. What adjustments did we make? or just that Cardinals had a bad game?
Um........ lemme guess..
We have a new D and it might take a bit to get used to, like I said in another thread hopefully this means they are starting to gel together and get better and better.
your avatar is fing hilarious!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Again, Hawks play well, it's because the OTHER team played bad. Not because the Hawks forced them to play bad. :rolleyes:

rinse and repeat........week after week at dot everything sucks
It wasn't perfect - but i saw tackles for loss that were wiffs the week before.

Corners are coming along - alot.

I'm happy - Let PC do what he does. I think we'll be fine by the bye. At least I'm hoping we run a few of the next games and end up like 8-5 or something soon. But, time will tell.

The EFFORT is there on defense, and I love that BI is back on the sidelines/playing/whatever it is he's doing.

I think his leadership could make a difference.

Say whatcha want. I still miss Bobby.

Oh yea, sorry - Geno for Prez!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Improvements, exactly what we are hoping to see. I appreciate a win for what it is, instead of always making it sound like the Hawks only won because the other team sucks.
Lame way to look at wins imo.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Corbin Smith and Rob Rang talk about the defense here, around the 5 minute mark

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I don't think Bruce was brought in for his playing skills. ;) Definitely along the line of what AP brought last year.
Good point, Bruce can impart scheme info, professionalism and occasionally play a down. For those who listen to 710, this is the role KJ is looking for.