What are the chances of 3 NFC West teams making the playoffs

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I think it's obvious that the Hawks and Niners will be in the playoff hunt, but the Rams and Cards could have pretty good seasons too.

With the log-jam of talent in the NFC (WAS, NO, ATL, CAR, TB, DAL, NYG, GB, DET, CHI, MIN) do you guys think it's a possibility? Or will the inter-division games bring everyone's records down so only 1 or 2 teams make it?

Decimation

Reaction score
That would be cool as hell, but very unlikely. Like the person said above, too many tough teams in the NFC in other divisions.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
I don't think so with Washington and Atlanta in the mix. I'm not convinced the NFC West will be all that this year. AZ can and will likely fold like a shot Duck . I think the Rams will finally prove that they still need a franchise QB.

Mark me down @ Rams and Cards .500 and SF will have be a wildcard

drdiags

Reaction score
I think it would be pretty tough for a 3rd NFC West team to make it. The Cards last year started off on fire, making it seem like a chance for it to happen but they faded. This year, besides the division having more competition top to bottom, the Saints and Falcons still seem like big winners in the NFC South, Bucs could rebound as well. The NY Giants are due to rebound, making the NFC East more competitive at the top. Even the Eagles could move back toward .500.

That could be a good thing for two wild cards coming from the West but the NFC North has a chance of muddying the waters as well. I expect the Lions to be much better. Not sure if the Vikings falter or not.

Other than the NFC South and most likely Packers, I would be surprised to see teams with high double-digit wins in the NFC.

Short answer. The chances are slim for 3 NFC West teams making the playoffs.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My crystal ball has

1. Seattle, 13-3
2. Atlanta, 12-4
3. Green Bay, 11-5
4. NY Giants, 10-6
5. SF, 11-5, and
6. NO, 10-6

making the playoffs from the NFC... so, no, I don't see three teams from the NFCW making the playoffs.

My order is their seeding in the NFC.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't see it as likely because the NFC South is very top heavy with Atlanta and New Orleans in the mix. And who knows what Chicago may do. They were a 10-6 team and that defense is still solid if a bit old in spots.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Every division in the NFC could boast 3 teams with an above .500 record.

kearly

Reaction score
The NFC is stacked, and the Rams are maybe the 10th best team in it. Even if I'm wildly underestimating them, it's hard to see them equaling or beating the win total of a team like Atlanta or New Orleans, both of which are far better teams playing easier schedules.

seatownboy

Reaction score
If the rams beat the crap out of the 49ers again this season, who knows maybe there in and the Niners go home.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":27ri0mcz said:
The NFC is stacked, and the Rams are maybe the 10th best team in it. Even if I'm wildly underestimating them, it's hard to see them equaling or beating the win total of a team like Atlanta or New Orleans, both of which are far better teams playing easier schedules.

New Orleans? They had the worst defense in the history of the league last year. Even with a slight improvement, teams are going to score a lot of points on that team. I think the Saints finish within one game of 8-8 at best.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I don't think we get three. Tons of good teams in the NFC. I've got no business making football predictions but here's what I see happening...

NFCW: SEA (although SF has most of their tough games at home and may benefit greatly from this)
NFCE: WASH
NFCN: GB
NFCS: ATL
Wildcard: SF, NO or DET (not sure why, but I like Detroit this year)

12thMan1

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2yj7c01q said:
Rams suck
Niners are good
Hawks are good

whats the other team in our division? Vikings? They suck

You do recall that the Rams had the best interdivisional record right? Not to mention the Rams IMO was the team that pressured Russell Wilson the most. They're only getting better.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
12thMan1":sy9qpolc said:
Hawk Strap":sy9qpolc said:
Rams suck
Niners are good
Hawks are good

whats the other team in our division? Vikings? They suck

You do recall that the Rams had the best interdivisional record right? Not to mention the Rams IMO was the team that pressured Russell Wilson the most. They're only getting better.

Didnt the Rams go 7-8-1? Yea, they aint good. Just because they play a Divison foe and beat or play them close, doesnt mean they are good. Division foes play each other tough most of the time. Thats the way the NFL works. I remember the Redskins of the 90's used to play the Dynasty Cowboys VERY tough and sometimes sweept them. That didnt mean that the Redskins were any good. They sucked in the 90's, with the exception of 1990, 1991, 1992.

Not saying the Rams wont be any good this year. They very well could. But I havent seen anything that makes me think the Rams are a playoff team.

Right now the Rams are somewhere between the 10th - 12th best team in the NFC. Teams better than the Rams right now

Seattle
San Fran
Atlanta
NO
Greenbay
Chi
Wash
Dallas
New York
Minn

60niners

Reaction score
No way 3 teams make it. NFCW plays NFCS this year... So for 3 NFCW teams to rack up enough wins to get in (I'm thinking it would take 10 for a WC) the division winner for the NFCS would be @ around 10 wins also... And I don't believe that's going to happen. Wins within the division are nice, but that's only a fraction of the total schedule - there's still 10 other games to be played.

candyman4881

Reaction score
I know this will tick off a few of the 49ers fans that come on here, but I could see the team regressing to out of the playoffs this year possibly as it depends how the WRs play and how the D-Line holds up. However even as a Rams fan, I don't think the Rams make the playoffs this year - we will be 8-8 or 9-7, so close but not in the playoff picture.

Here are my power rankings in the conference right now:
1. Seattle
2. Atlanta
3. NY Giants
4. Green Bay
5. San Francisco
6. New Orleans
7. St Louis
8. Washington
9. Dallas
10. Chicago
11. Minnesota