What about moving up to take Stroud ?

Chawker

Reaction score
Say on draft day, we decide to trade up and get him, we have the picks to do it. Let him learn behind Geno for a year and then we'll concider him for a starting roll.

Its just a thought ?

QWERTY

Reaction score
Say on draft day, we decide to trade up and get him, we have the picks to do it. Let him learn behind Geno for a year and then we'll concider him for a starting roll.

Its just a thought ?
Getting Stroud will involve either the 1st round pick of 2023 5th (20th) and even more.

Chevy

Reaction score
There is going to be a lot of competition to trade up to get him. It may take our #5 #20 a 2nd rd this year along with a 1st round next year. There are some desperate Team owners and head coaches that need a QB...much more desperate than Pete and John. Geno's half of a great season put our team in a conundrum this off-season. I almost wish he would have been a huge bust as a starting QB last year. He could be amazing for the next 5 years or a be a one year wonder and we waste the opportunity to use a top-5 pick or trade up on a legit rookie QB this draft.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
If you‘re the hawks the dream scenario is that the combine hype recedes and pro days elevate Bryce Young and a couple defenders.

Sitting @ 5 and getting one of Stroud, Levis, or Richardson could set the franchise up for years.

Yes, it could also be a set back, but the reward outweighs the risk. There aren’t any Uber-special defenders this year, rookie QB contracts are relatively cheap, we have extra picks, and we have Geno as a hedge. Perfect time to take a shot.

GemCity

Reaction score
Stroud is likely a Day 1 starter. I don’t think we’d trade away the picks to move up and grab him as we just signed Geno.

But, with the way Geno’s contract is structured, I can see taking a chance at Richardson with the idea of letting him sit for 2-3 years under Geno. High risk…high reward.

But, I’m thinking PC and JS are just keeping other teams and GMs on their p’s and q’s as far as drafting a QB.

Someone is going to get desperate when the QBs start flying off the board. The #5 pick can be dealt…or they snatch a D-Lineman they love with it.

Gotta trust PC and JS after that last draft. Part of me does want to see Richardson in a Seahawks uniform. We’re in a great position regardless of what happens with the 5th pick…unless they totally fudge this draft.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
Stroud and Young are ready to play now. Sure, there will be some growing pains, but they are year one (maybe day one) starters. The trade up for Stroud ship sailed once we re-signed Geno to a decent contract.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I read that Chicago is wanting THREE 1st's to move to #1. This year's 1st, plus two more in '24 and '25.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Stroud compares in both play style, mobility, and arm strength to Geno. They’re not identical, but very similar. I think Stroud has a slightly better arm and is slightly better off platform, but Geno is better in the pocket and has a better feel for when to run.

But why trade up for what you already have?

The idea behind Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young is that both these QBs offer skillsets that Geno doesn’t. Young is incredible outside of structure, and Anthony Richardson has the ability to throw off platform and from a muddy pocket with velocity that Geno can’t. Plus offers actual dynamic ability as a runner.

If Stroud falls to 5, I wouldn’t fault JS for taking him. But trading up feels like making a significant cash and draft capital investment for the same skillset.

CPHawk

Reaction score
My dream scenario is is trading back with the Raiders, still landing Kaceee, and also landing their 2nd round pick. Give us 3 second round picks.

Take a flyer on Hooker in the 3-4

olyfan63

Reaction score
Stroud compares in both play style, mobility, and arm strength to Geno. They’re not identical, but very similar. I think Stroud has a slightly better arm and is slightly better off platform, but Geno is better in the pocket and has a better feel for when to run.

But why trade up for what you already have?

The idea behind Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young is that both these QBs offer skillsets that Geno doesn’t. Young is incredible outside of structure, and Anthony Richardson has the ability to throw off platform and from a muddy pocket with velocity that Geno can’t. Plus offers actual dynamic ability as a runner.

If Stroud falls to 5, I wouldn’t fault JS for taking him. But trading up feels like making a significant cash and draft capital investment for the same skillset.
That's what I see also. Stroud reminds me of 2022 Geno more than anyone else. Stroud looked legit in semi-finals vs GA, and would have been in Natl Championship game (and won) if Buckeyes had a better kicker. Hard to say exactly how high his upside is in the NFL; it could be Derek Carr, or it could be Joe Burrow. Or it could be any of a number of first round QBs that were stiffs in the NFL, Akili Smith, Kelly Stouffer, etc.

No to trading up, but sure, take him at #5 if there. A couple years behind Geno and then another 3 cheap years (5th year option) would create a nice window of cheap QB opportunity to stockpile other talent like the 2012-2014 Hawks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Now that Smith is signed for 3 years, moving up to pick a QB doesn't make logical sense. You don't draft a QB with a top 5 pick to hold a clipboard unless you are 49ers.

RunDownhill

Reaction score
Now that Smith is signed for 3 years, moving up to pick a QB doesn't make logical sense. You don't draft a QB with a top 5 pick to hold a clipboard unless you are 49ers.
It's basically a one year contract, then the Seahawks can move on. So yeah, drafting a QB in top-5 makes a lot of sense.