Weekly fire Bevell

scrummymustard

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":zcd7o2ga said:
scrummymustard":zcd7o2ga said:
getnasty":zcd7o2ga said:
Coug_Hawk08":zcd7o2ga said:
Offense worst in the league. We have solid talent in all skill positions. Got to look at someone.

Jimmy Graham is probably a top 5 tight end. I could name at least 20 Wr's better then Doug Baldwin, Christine Michael didn't make our team last year, but we have solid talent in all the skill positions?

Jimmy Graham is a Top 2 tight end being used like he is a Top 100 tight end. If we continue to use him as just another guy and not a once in a decade talent, we will continue to sputter on offense. There is 0 reason to use him like we did today and pay him $10 mil a year. 1 Red zone Touchdown for him in 2 years is a simply unacceptable use of his talents. That is 100% on the coaching staff.

The 3 games that we treated him like a top 2 tight end, (running seam routes and routes down the field, NOT these 3 yard out routes on 3rd down when it's 3rd and 6) coincidentally are the three games we looked halfway decent on offense.

There was not a single person on our team as hyped up for this game as Jimmy, and he is basically not even in the game plan?

It is tough to watch.

I don't know who you think you are, but this post is excellent specifically the bold. The follow up paragraph was good as well.
What's the point of paying him that money not to use him, I'm just saying even going back to trading Unger, might as well just save that money for the line.

I'm just confused as to why we do things only to not use them correctly, and I'm starting to think this is a larger coaching problem.

Thank you. I can't even watch the offensive coaching/game planning right now. 7 games in and I don't know how anyone can actually defend the offensive coaching.

Graham's lack of usage is infuriating. We have turned a top 5 touchdown threat in the NFL into just another guy. He is the same player he was before he got here, but the play calling inside the 20 is almost nonexistent. We have barely even targeted him, let alone drawn up plays for him in the RZ.

Nearly every single person watching in that stadium and around the country was saying "go to Graham" on the last play. Hell, I'm sure the saints were scared to death of that very thing. I don't hate the play call, but that should be Graham isolated outside instead of Kearse, 100 out of 100 times.

It feels like instead of this offense beating other teams with our strengths, we try and beat them with "surprise" calls with our inferior players.

Sorry, I could rant on our offensive ineptitude for hours. (And I even took a few hours to cool off)

Ozzy

Reaction score
getnasty":3pmsfocy said:
Hawk-Lock":3pmsfocy said:
This forum just makes me laugh.

The play actually worked, but RW never even gave Kearse a chance. If Russell didn't over throw him out of bounds, it would have been a TD.

But instead of calling out our QB....fire Bevell.

This is what I'm saying, I don't love Bevell but that play was fine considering the situation.

Not with Kearse. He isn't a physical mismatch. If I had a guy like Dez but that's not Kearse. How many times have you seen Kearse score in the red zone on any route similar to that? It wasn't a great play. If its in play it gets knocked away.

Ozzy

Reaction score
getnasty":26nwy19x said:
Coug_Hawk08":26nwy19x said:
Offense worst in the league. We have solid talent in all skill positions. Got to look at someone.

Jimmy Graham is probably a top 5 tight end. I could name at least 20 Wr's better then Doug Baldwin, Christine Michael didn't make our team last year, but we have solid talent in all the skill positions?

Lol we are loaded at skill positions and have been a great offense when healthy. You're reaching here.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Another problem with that final drive was Wilson's throw on first down. With 16 seconds left at the 18 yard line, he dumped a pass to Prosise, who picked up 8 yards. The play burned 14 seconds. We should've had three -- possibly even four, if we were really lucky -- shots at the end zone there. Instead, we got only one chance after that -- the final pass to Kearse. I think that was a really poor decision on Wilson's part.

Ozzy

Reaction score
That's fair. That one is probably on Wilson really.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Not counting Russ' scrambles, we had 14 rushes for 63 yds. That's just over 4 yds/carry. That will move the chains. It may not be sexy but it works and it keeps the defense off the field and the ball out of Brees' hands. The question is: WHY ARE WE NOT RUNNING THE BALL MORE? Fire Bevell. FOURTEEN rushes. That is pathetic.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete seemed to be just as frustrated as we are on the lack of running plays. He said in his post game we need to get put of our own way and run the ball more. This is the first time he didn't mention bevell and say he's doing a great job. He didn't throw him under the buss obviously but I think he was frustrated as well.
I've gone back and forth on Bevell which makes sense because at times he's fantastic. He can be really bad as well. We have a few really, really pro Bevell supporters on the board and their argument is getting harder and harder to find believable. Bevell needs to do better, hard to understand how someone wouldn't agree with that. I'm not saying he's the only problem but to deny he plays a role in this lately is strange.

getnasty

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":ocqxvbtu said:
getnasty":ocqxvbtu said:
Coug_Hawk08":ocqxvbtu said:

Baldwin still being called pedestrian by our own fan base? Interesting. The reality is that he is excellent.

In any case 'solid' doesn't necessarily mean world beaters. But it is at least league average. We have the fewest scored points in the league. It doesn't correlate to our talent, injured (Lockett, Wilson, Rawls) or not.

Did I call him Pedestrian? I said I could name 20 Wr's better then him. Compared to the rest of the league right now we are below average as a whole at the skill positions. Everybody want to make it out to be we have amazing talent all over the place and Bevell screws it up. The fact is right now we have below average talent (due to injurys) a horrible OL (have to go cheap somewhere) and a bang up QB who if he healthy makes all those problems disappear. Bevells only a small peice of the problem right now.

getnasty

Reaction score
austinslater25":29tdviqe said:
getnasty":29tdviqe said:
Coug_Hawk08":29tdviqe said:

Lol we are loaded at skill positions and have been a great offense when healthy. You're reaching here.
You said it yourself we have a great offense when healthy, so blame the offenses struggles on health not the OC. Please tell me 15 teams with worse skill positions then us right now. If you can name 25 then we're loaded at the skill positions.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
austinslater25":tvjv48vf said:
getnasty":tvjv48vf said:
Coug_Hawk08":tvjv48vf said:

Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers, Bengals, Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Cardinals, Packers, Lions, Bears, Falcons, Buccaneers, Saints are more loaded than us at offensive skill positions. That would put us at position number 23 at the highest. One could make a strong case the Browns have more talent at skills positions than us.

Ozzy

Reaction score
getnasty":33ko9p6m said:
austinslater25":33ko9p6m said:
getnasty":33ko9p6m said:
Coug_Hawk08":33ko9p6m said:

You said it yourself we have a great offense when healthy, so blame the offenses struggles on health not the OC. Please tell me 15 teams with worse skill positions then us right now. If you can name 25 then we're loaded at the skill positions.

Oh I think health is a huge part of it. A healthy Wilson, Baldwin, Lockett, Rawls etc. and I have zero doubts we would be much better. I don't think its an either/or situation though...Bevell could still do a much better job than he's doing. I don't think he's terrible and at times I think he's fantastic. His play creativity is off the charts at times and he's called some great games. He's also well below average at utilizing talent correctly, situational play calling and I can't help but wonder how much a healthy Wilson covers for bad play calling at times. 1 red zone TD in 16 games for the most dangerous red zone player in the NFL prior to coming here is unacceptable as well. The Bevell is infallible crowd is just as weird as the Bevell does nothing right crowd.