We are what we thought we were.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
It was a Great week one win. much needed to make the season bearable imho . But Reality sets in .I’m think no one is surprised at what we are seeing. Tough sledding all year long . Buckle up if your not battle tested . The armor is going to get some dents .
Go Hawks

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I am steeling myself for a rough developmental season. Success will likely be measured by how much we improve over the course of this season. I don’t expect much success on the field until we learn to play together. That said, I love how many times we are in the right position and hate how infrequently we make the play when we are there.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
To me, this was always going to be a bumpy developmental season. Games like this are to be expected, and its hardly shocking we lost. The 9ers are a talented team that's a season or so ahead of the Hawks in a similar retool. But it's a fact that they have a firmer foundation of proven players and philosophy in place.

The universe is comprised of spectrums. And it's no surprise that Seahawks fans expectations of seasonal success exist on a spectrum as well. One one side you've got the "we're dookie without Russ" 0-17 Doomers, and on the other end you've got your "I think we could low key slide into the playoffs" Hopium Huffing Homer's. I've maintained that the reality exists somewhere in between. I think this is a 7-10 team regardless of whether it's Geno or Lock at the helm.

The upside is that there's talent on this team. And it's young and hungry. I think with context I really appreciate what Diggs said after the game. He's a vet. He knows. We're not that good. But I believe that to really mean we're not that good, yet.

I want this season to develop and stand alone in my consciousness, but it's hard not view it through the lense of the 2011 season. These players and coaches are going to watch this game film. And they will learn from it. And they will get better. It's going to take some time and reps, but these young players will grow and gel around a decent but not great starting QB. I truly believe once they hit their stride this squad will start to continually surprise teams, and start dragging them into the muck with them week in and week out. Then the team moves into next season with a more established cultural and philosophical baseline, money to spend, and excellent draft capital. This franchise is not a rudderless ship, and the future is brighter and closer than it appears my brethren.

In the mean time, at least for me, the win on Monday gave this Hawks fan all the armor necessary to enjoy watching the growth and not sweat the process.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the real question becomes how exponential is DK's tantrums going be this season?

30 yards receiving is not going to make him happy regardless of double teams. Especially when he sees Lockett benefiting with triple digit days.

Everything else is just what it is. A young, rebuilding team trying to grow and find their way before they find their franchise QB.

At any rate, it's going to be an interesting side thing to keep an eye on. I saw he was already plenty livid yesterday and it's only week 2.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I think the real question becomes how exponential is DK's tantrums going be this season?

30 yards receiving is not going to make him happy regardless of double teams. Especially when he sees Lockett benefiting with triple digit days.

Everything else is just what it is. A young, rebuilding team trying to grow and find their way before they find their franchise QB.

At any rate, it's going to be an interesting side thing to keep an eye on. I saw he was already plenty livid yesterday and it's only week 2.

View attachment 54598
To that point. I think this teams biggest Achilles heel will be Geno's either lack of want or ability to push the ball downfield vertically. This will largely impact DK. But also, we all know winning cures everything. So yeah, something to monitor.

Also DK's day looks a whole lot different if that one incredible catch wasn't negated by a penalty.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I’m beginning to wonder if Geno has a downfield game at all. His numbers were decent but I feel like we’re not taking enough shots. Then again he might ball out against the Falcons porous defense this week. I think we might even be favored in this game lmao 🤣

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I’m beginning to wonder if Geno has a downfield game at all. His numbers were decent but I feel like we’re not taking enough shots. Then again he might ball out against the Falcons porous defense this week. I think we might even be favored in this game lmao 🤣
I totally agree. I can't tell if it's complete inability or just risk aversion? Regardless, at some point you HAVE to take some shots and stretch the field. Otherwise your offense can't do all the other stuff it needs to thrive. Ya know, like run the ball and work underneath...

I do know that I won't blow my wad fretting myself to death in week 2. I know we don't want to admit it as Hawk fans, but the 9ers have a good defense and an elite D line. There's an opportunity to right the ship a bit against Atlanta next week.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
To that point. I think this teams biggest Achilles heel will be Geno's either lack of want or ability to push the ball downfield vertically. This will largely impact DK. But also, we all know winning cures everything. So yeah, something to monitor.

Also DK's day looks a whole lot different if that one incredible catch wasn't negated by a penalty.
On the plus side, I do love that Geno has targeted him even when he wasn't a step or two open. DK's a big, strong man. Let him contest for the ball. He's already shown a few times this season that he can come up with it.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
On the plus side, I do love that Geno has targeted him even when he wasn't a step or two open. DK's a big, strong man. Let him contest for the ball. He's already shown a few times this season that he can come up with it.
Absolutely. Thanks for highlighting that point. That catch that didn't stand yesterday was ELITE. Definitely gives a satisfying glimpse of the ability DK has downfield if Geno can convince himself to cut it loose.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Absolutely. Thanks for highlighting that point. That catch that didn't stand yesterday was ELITE. Definitely gives a satisfying glimpse of the ability DK has downfield if Geno can convince himself to cut it loose.
There was also one last week where he just clamped onto the ball above his head with defenders draped on him.

GemCity

Reaction score

View attachment 54598
Yah man…felt this coming. I’m hoping he can stay the course and ride this thing out.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Watching the game live, I was pissed, especially at all of the penalties. But many of those flags were thrown on rookies. It is what it is. That's why I didn't log on here until the day after. I needed time to cool down. This team will make mistakes.

Latest posts