QB Thought

Wisconsinhawk28

Reaction score
While I don't necessarily know if Drew Lock can be the guy or not, one thing sticks out to me that maybe helped make the decision on Geno starting the season as QB1.

We play week 1 at home against Denver(Lock's former team) and then on the road against the 49er's(no matter what we think of Lance will be a tough game). Then we follow with the Falcons, Lions, Saints and Cardinals which IMO are all "possible" wins.

What I think is happening here is Pete really likes what Lock offers for possible upside and future so why throw him to the wolves in week 1 and 2. Let the veteran take those lumps and then after we get thumped, its easy to say Geno hasn't played well and we are turning to Lock. Lock then builds some confidence against some not great opponents and is the starter the rest of the year to see what we need to do next year.

Just my two cents!

flv2

Reaction score
Lock is a 1 year rental.
Smith is a 1 year rental.
Both are expendable and both will want market value contracts next season, wherever they end up. Whoever performed better in preseason was going to get the start. Most people hoped Lock would be an immediate upgrade. That didn't happen. He might be the better choice later in the season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
With two 1's and two 2's next draft, they have plenty to move up IF they have QB in mind. Or any other stud player in the draft they want.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I have felt strongly for years that Pete uses the first few games of the season as an extended preseason. Go back and look at some of the players who have played early. Case #1-Drew Nowak at center.

I think it’s a big reason why they always seem to play better at the end of the season than the beginning. Whoever and whatever Pete has planned for the beginning of the season will see many tweaks and changes until the right mix and chemistry is found.

For the past decade we had consistency and zero questions about the QB position. That was fun and soothing for the stress meter. An unmatched decade in Seahawks history. I have no doubt that we will see lots of Smith and lots of Lock. I also think that we may very well see someone under center this season who isn’t on the roster yet. No idea who, how or where they will come from but it’s just a feeling I have. Could be because of lack of quality at the position or injury.

No matter what, it’s gonna be interesting.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm sure those are thoughts that have crossed Pete's mind, but I'm also sure that Geno was chosen because without all the drops, his stat line would have been really good.

And Drew can't stop making bonehead plays, and need to work on his decision making.

Russell had a Sports Psychologist on tap, and claimed that it really helped him focus on the game, it's preparation, and precluded pregame jitters.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Might as well let Geno start the first half of the season and Lock the second half of the season.

That will give everyone enough time to make a determination on whether either of them are worth a damn.

toffee

Reaction score
I'm sure those are thoughts that have crossed Pete's mind, but I'm also sure that Geno was chosen because without all the drops, his stat line would have been really good.

And Drew can't stop making bonehead plays, and need to work on his decision making.

Russell had a Sports Psychologist on tap, and claimed that it really helped him focus on the game, it's preparation, and precluded pregame jitters.
I think Drew need to spend three fresh morning hours in film room with a stop watch set at 2.5 seconds to watch plays after plays and formations after formations. Follow with 3 hours of doing nothing but 3 step drops, not 3.5 step or 3.5 plus a bit left-right body twists.

keasley45

Reaction score
They don't have to play Lock this year at all. If Geno plays well, they let him finish out the season and will likely know what they have in him. Then, they either keep him or Lock to compete alongside the rookie. Lock will have had an entire year to do the thing he hasn't done yet - learn the system inside and out and work on his fundamentals. If he hasn't, they'll know whether he starts a game this year or not.

I think the only way Lock plays is if we are God awful. Or... if/when we are eliminated from the playoffs.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It makes sense to see how Geno plays regardless.

Geno did decently (depending on your perspective) in the preseason. But then again, he is a 10 year vet that had #1s but was often playing against #2s. (at least for the parts he did well, though some he had #2s and was playing 2s, 3s). So OF COURSE he is going to look ok.
He'd better. As a 10 year vet against depth chart guys.
But Lock is terrible under pressure. Not sure what kind of wagon there is to hitch to here.

You have Lock and you have Geno. Geno looked like he might look OK. Might as well use him. If he flounders, you can try Lock but you know Lock is more likely to fail so you are just playing out the string for draft picks then.

Not sure what other choice we have. Those are the cards we have. We have to play them.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
They don't have to play Lock this year at all. If Geno plays well, they let him finish out the season and will likely know what they have in him. Then, they either keep him or Lock to compete alongside the rookie. Lock will have had an entire year to do the thing he hasn't done yet - learn the system inside and out and work on his fundamentals. If he hasn't, they'll know whether he starts a game this year or not.

I think the only way Lock plays is if we are God awful. Or... if/when we are eliminated from the playoffs.
Why do you try to make me hate PC even more (as a coach)?

AgentDib

Reaction score
A lot of the Geno hate seems to be from posters who are inwardly worried that the Hawks will be satisfied with Geno as a mediocre long-term solution and not upgrade. However, remember that Russ was coming off a 34 TD-11 INT 4k passing yard season when the front office had wandering eyes at Josh Allen's pro day. Geno and Lock could both play way better than expected and it wouldn't prevent the Hawks from taking a QB early if they have a chance at somebody they really like.

This season isn't about QB development. They're going to be playing the QB who gives them the best chance to win each week. Hopefully that QB will perform well enough to let the rest of the youth develop around them.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Lock is Seneca in these parts it seems.

...and that dude sucked. I'll take Geno for a year.

toffee

Reaction score

Geno did decently (depending on your perspective) in the preseason. But then again, he is a 10 year vet that had #1s but was often playing against #2s. (at least for the parts he did well, though some he had #2s and was playing 2s, 3s). So OF COURSE he is going to look ok.
But Lock is terrible under pressure. Not sure what kind of wagon there is to hitch to here.

You have Lock and you have Geno. Geno looked like he might look OK. Might as well use him. If he flounders, you can try Lock but you know Lock is more likely to fail so you are just playing out the string for draft picks then.

Not sure what other choice we have. Those are the cards we have. We have to play them.
Here you go, 2021 grade on passing on Russ, and other QBs. Geno sat humbly at #21, with JimmyG at #20, and Russ at #22. I hope and pray that Geno could play at that level for a season. We just might surprise a few teams.

Geno vs Russ 1

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Really? Hmm...I really don't recall FIRST STRINGERS ->Penny, Lockett, or DK Metcalf playing a whole bunch....Playing against #2 Defenders without your NUMBER ONE Offensive Weapons, means that Geno was playing his number 2's AGAINST the #2's on Defense, eh?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Both of the QB’s are not good.

Drew Lock is fools gold. He has all the traits to make a good QB but somehow he’s not. Maybe if he gets struck by lightning he’ll be our guy?

fullquartpress

Reaction score
While I don't necessarily know if Drew Lock can be the guy or not, one thing sticks out to me that maybe helped make the decision on Geno starting the season as QB1.

We play week 1 at home against Denver(Lock's former team) and then on the road against the 49er's(no matter what we think of Lance will be a tough game). Then we follow with the Falcons, Lions, Saints and Cardinals which IMO are all "possible" wins.

What I think is happening here is Pete really likes what Lock offers for possible upside and future so why throw him to the wolves in week 1 and 2. Let the veteran take those lumps and then after we get thumped, its easy to say Geno hasn't played well and we are turning to Lock. Lock then builds some confidence against some not great opponents and is the starter the rest of the year to see what we need to do next year.

Just my two cents!
Drew looked as if he'd lost weight last week, and his breathing may have been limited.
Maybe my view of his weight was distorted by connecting a desktop PC to a TV, via a passive
DisplayPort+ to HDMI converter. But he looked...lighter.
EDIT: HDMI has 19 conductords, and DisplayPort+ has 20...one conductor was lost on its way to the TV.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Drew looked as if he'd lost weight last week, and his breathing may have been limited.
Maybe my view of his weight was distorted by connecting a desktop PC to a TV, via a passive
DisplayPort+ to HDMI converter. But he looked...lighter.
EDIT: HDMI has 19 conductords, and DisplayPort+ has 20...one conductor was lost on its way to the TV.
And 3 footballs left Drew's hand and ended up in a Cowboy's.