Was there such a thing as JS guys and PC guys?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's more of a statement that I don't think Pete was calling every shot over John's head. John would've had to have been provided a decent modicum of latitude. He would've just left otherwise. He could've left for Green Bay or Detroit if he really wanted to, or probably any number of other gigs considering the fact that he never had to re-sign with Seattle. I don't see any way in which a true personnel guy like John would accept anything less than the freedom to do his job, especially after proving himself as a hot commodity.
Fair enough but you agree that we give JS a year or two?

keasley45

Reaction score
Could Darryl Taylor be a Schneider guy and Jordyn Brook a Carroll guy? Just speculating.
I honestly don't think there's a line drawn between the two leader's choices. I think it's the way John stated - that they had preferences, but in the end, compromised and backed whoever was brought in.

That being said i do think there were philosophical differences in the end between the two. John wanted a more confident, aggressive, will imposing type. Pete wanted the under the radar type that he could help 'discover' and in doing so, harness the intangible edge that comes with it. John wanted a defense that was adaptable to its players. Pete wanted Players to adapt to his defense.

Looking back, i absolutley beleive that John wanted Lock here more than Pete did. Both wanted him, but they vakued him differently. John wanted Lock to be the guy eventually. He liked him coming out of college and probably hoped he'd be able to unseat Geno if given enough time to learn. I think that was the reason behind his avoiding entirely backing Geno this offseason. He didn't want Lock to bolt elsewhere the way he ended up doing. So every question about who the starter would be was answered in as non commital a way as possible. 'He's the starter until he isnt'... the answer necessary to keep Lock engaged. It had nothing to do with him not believing in Geno and everything to do with hoping Lock would stick it out and eventually prove him right.

J Adams I think was also a guy John lobbied for and went and got. Hence the push back against criticism recently. Pete went along with it, backed it, but then rather than allowing the D to play to its strengths and a talent like Jamal, he instead, after year one, tried to make him fit what he wanted.

There are probably others that fit the same category - Carlos Dunlap. Quandre Diggs. I think they were brought in under John's preferred vision, and then made to work with Pete's.

Last edited:

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Schneider's job will be dependent on the Seahawks record this season.

If they totally bomb.... He's gone.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
If we tank this year the narrative will be that every bad signing was John's guy. Am I wrong?

knownone

Reaction score
John talked about this on his radio show shortly after they hired MM. Essentially, there were no "Pete or John" guys, only Seahawks. His reasoning was that they spent a great deal of time working out disagreements and relied more on room consensus than one dictatorial voice. He also mentioned recently that he doesn't feel like he has more power now than he did with Pete, and the only significant difference is that coaches now report to him.

Things will almost certainly be different without Pete. Mike will have his own preferences for players and so on and John would be crazy not to cater to his coach. But the past should be viewed as more of a collaborative effort between Pete and John because that's how they've described it.

Jville

Reaction score
Was there such a thing as Schneider guys and Carroll guys?

Sure, that's the case with most of us.

I thought of Pete as the guy with an eye for explosive players. Looking for players that can deliver 2 or 3 or more difference making plays during a game. He had, I thought a tolerance for mistakes here and there for his play makers.

John strikes me has processing a greater appreciation for blue collar workers. Reliable technicians that can endure every snap. Nick Harris, as a much more successful replacement for Joey Hunt, comes to mind.

Sure they had their individual preferences. But they complemented each other unusually well. Arguably the best tandem the Seahawks fans have ever witnessed. Certainly the most successful partnership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If we tank this year the narrative will be that every bad signing was John's guy. Am I wrong?
We should accept that Pete Carroll has no influence on players signed or drafted this off season, right?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
John talked about this on his radio show shortly after they hired MM. Essentially, there were no "Pete or John" guys, only Seahawks. His reasoning was that they spent a great deal of time working out disagreements and relied more on room consensus than one dictatorial voice. He also mentioned recently that he doesn't feel like he has more power now than he did with Pete, and the only significant difference is that coaches now report to him.

Things will almost certainly be different without Pete. Mike will have his own preferences for players and so on and John would be crazy not to cater to his coach. But the past should be viewed as more of a collaborative effort between Pete and John because that's how they've described it.
There ought to be a difference, say Pete wanted LJ Collier, John could voice his concerns, but Pete gets Collier. That will no longer be the case with Mcdonald.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hard to say, and we will likely never know who made the ultimate decisions on players, trades etc. But I'm just glad Pete is gone, and we have something NEW and different to look forward to.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson was a John Guy, wanted to take him in the second, Pete pushed back and told him he would be there in the third just so you kind of know how things played out on draft days, Pete had last word.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I don’t know but if player acquisition was Pete’s job and not JS, bring back Pete 😝.

Just jokes…I’m not shitting the bed yet.

But I am worried that we’re going to have to have DK playing both WR and LB at this rate.
So we brought Cable Back???

AgentDib

Reaction score
There ought to be a difference, say Pete wanted LJ Collier, John could voice his concerns, but Pete gets Collier. That will no longer be the case with Mcdonald.
I think we've disagreed on this before but I don't see how you can find this plausible knowing how the NFL operates and that NFL head coach is one of the most time consuming jobs on the planet. I'd be pretty surprised if Pete watched a single TCU game during his tenure here, let alone spooled through college tape himself looking for prospects. I'm sure he had opinions about positional needs and whether candidates were culture fits, but the draft is what dozens of guys in the front office spend their entire year working on. A consensus based approach could strike off candidates if not everybody felt good about them, but wouldn't just push a guy through past detractors.

I also think LJ Collier was a completely understandable pick - we had a huge need at DE and so we reached a bit for one. They hadn't replaced Frank Clark yet, Rasheem Green wasn't panning out, and Malik McDowell crashed his ATV. Then there was a run on DE's leading up to our pick so they traded down and reached for a day 2 guy at the end of day 1. It sucks that he busted, but players bust all the time at every draft pick.