Was it a PC thing or a JS thing?

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
The hawks have had a pretty Savey system for attracting UDFA's. Do you think that will continue or was that a PC thing?

BigMeach

Reaction score
I think every year there are UDFA's we miss out on and those we don't and it all depends on how you view it or how deep you look into it. I wouldn't expect much to change in that aspect.

warden

Reaction score
With Pete and his always compete, it opened the doors for undrafted free agents to make the roster if they played very well. Other teams not so easy. It will be interesting to see how this goes now that Pete is gone

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Like most things, it was almost certainly a philosophy shared by both of them. Trader John, like Pete, is outwardly a fan of turning over every stone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think it was the reality that the team offered young players a chance to score a roster spot if they could hang in there. Those 15 or so spots on the 90 man are always attractive as landing spots for those not drafted.

Pete had the rep and magic of creating a happy but competitive enviroment, latter John and his scouts provided the raw material except when Pete vetoed the additions.

In the end it certainly was both.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we have the same scouts, I think a lot of John's decisions rely heavily on the scouting team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I totally agree and now he’s not controlled by Pete it’s his show. I suspect he didn’t always get his picks approved until the last year or so. He needed the change and Pete’s time was up. Jody decided right.

I loved Pete but the edges were getting worn and tattered and it was all sounding the same with mediocrity the result. I still loved him as the HC, but his time was up and change was needed.

So far I think JS is doing a great job. The draft will tell us lots.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
This thread reminded me of how we brought in ADB. I found this article on the letter. For those that don’t recall, it’s an interesting insight.

In the 2010 decade, I remember reading some articles about the letters Schneider used to write by hand to players on the roster every June. I don't know if he still does this.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This used to be true. We aren't the UDFA mecca we were. We used to get our pick from some of the most coveted UDFAs and some of the best wanted to come here first.

That probably hasn't been true for at least 3-4 years, likely more.