Wall Street Journal labels Hawks cheaters

sc85sis

Reaction score
Spiderdan":3kse5jjf said:
Bitter":3kse5jjf said:
The writer may not say cheaters, but he certainly couldn't do anything more the infer it.

Actually the author implies, you infer. Sorry, that's a grammatical pet peeve of mine.
Mine too. I have a relative who makes that mistake all the time and I can't help but cringe.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
That was the most butt-hurt piles of trash I have read in some time. This one ranks right up there with the guy in San Fran wanting to penalize us for being too loud! Reap the whirlwind boys! Those pesky Seahawks are just too loud, too physical, too big, too fast. Goodell has Terry Mcaully on speed dial already!

kearly

Reaction score
The irony is that it's actually a pretty good read. Sharp, opinionated, brings new facts to the table, it searches for insights. The tone may be negative, but his use of supporting facts made me almost think he begrudgingly admired our dirty tactics, as though the Seahawks are the Karl Rove of NFL secondaries.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Spiderdan":c5rprwiv said:
Bitter":c5rprwiv said:
The writer may not say cheaters, but he certainly couldn't do anything more the infer it.

Actually the author implies, you infer. Sorry, that's a grammatical pet peeve of mine.

I actually meant to use imply, but the word skipped out of my head before I could use it (getting old sucks.) At any rate, while infer isn't the ideal word to use in that situation it is acceptable.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1aj6w48p said:
bmorepunk":1aj6w48p said:
The corners molest receivers within the rules and don't get called all the time when they push it outside of the rules.

That is true for every secondary in the league.

Every secondary in the league that's capable of doing it, which is a bit less than all of them. How many teams have 2+ big corners that can play press effectively with reckless abandon due to the human missile playing behind them? They may want to do it, but few teams can do what the Seahawks secondary do in bullying receivers.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kearly":2t6vmrv4 said:
The irony is that it's actually a pretty good read. Sharp, opinionated, brings new facts to the table, it searches for insights. The tone may be negative, but his use of supporting facts made me almost think he begrudgingly admired our dirty tactics, as though the Seahawks are the Karl Rove of NFL secondaries.

I liken some the adherence of the stereotypical left/right fighting in politics to that of sports. The reaction to this article reminds me of the immediate negative response that you see when someone doesn't like what was written because it sounds negative towards their "team". People get so wrapped up in bias that they would miss out on something interesting.

Hawks46

Reaction score
plyka":1fe8ira9 said:
bmorepunk":1fe8ira9 said:
I see a little exaggeration but it's reasonably accurate.

The corners molest receivers within the rules and don't get called all the time when they push it outside of the rules. These coaches have these players playing like it's 1983 out there, which I like as long as the penalties don't make it a negative. There's a calculated risk going on with this, and if the refs don't call it than it was worth the risk.

You're falling into the media meme of Seahawks corners "playing physical." Without any stats or evidence to support the assertion. It's a meme all over the media. But watching all the playoff teams i see the EXACT SAME TACTICS. The 49ers corners and the Packers corners last week did more pulling/grabing/holding than any game the HAwks played this year. But they don't get the moniker.

Let's be honest, Jim Harbaugh is a master. He created this meme and now the media is running away with it. As we see above, even Seahawk fans are falling into the story line. Harbaugh has won this round. Expect the Seahawks defense to have to put up with tighter rules than the rest of the league.

Exactly. I watched that SF/GB game and the Niners CBs did far more holding, grabbing, chucking and generally being more physical than we ever got away with in the game in SF. Add to that Boldin's continual pushing off (which is very rarely called) and holding downfield.

I honestly don't get it. We've been a franchise that really has been mostly irrelevant most of our history. We haven't done anything to shape NFL culture and rarely have made an impact in the playoffs outside of the last decade. So, now we're good 2 years in a row and the entire nation has a hard-on against us, we're cheaters, etc.

I'm also sick and tired of hearing about Carroll and USC. He's been here, what, 4 years now ? Can't we just let that go ? It has no bearing on the games played this year, last year, or next year in the NFL.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
plyka":2k2cgmfq said:
bmorepunk":2k2cgmfq said:

The corners molest receivers within the rules and don't get called all the time when they push it outside of the rules. These coaches have these players playing like it's 1983 out there, which I like as long as the penalties don't make it a negative. There's a calculated risk going on with this, and if the refs don't call it than it was worth the risk.

You're falling into the media meme of Seahawks corners "playing physical." Without any stats or evidence to support the assertion. It's a meme all over the media. But watching all the playoff teams i see the EXACT SAME TACTICS. The 49ers corners and the Packers corners last week did more pulling/grabing/holding than any game the HAwks played this year. But they don't get the moniker.

Let's be honest, Jim Harbaugh is a master. He created this meme and now the media is running away with it. As we see above, even Seahawk fans are falling into the story line. Harbaugh has won this round. Expect the Seahawks defense to have to put up with tighter rules than the rest of the league.

No, I'm watching Seahawks games (and others) and seeing that they consistently dominate other teams physically with their secondary.

Your statement that both the 49ers and Packers corners, in the same game, did more "pulling/grabbing/holding than any game the Hawks played this year" is either you having a bad memory or intellectually dishonest. Unless you memorized a count for every game from the season I see how you could even objectively compare them (even if we throw out you being a fan of this team).

The tin foil hat statement about the officiating is silly. This team gets some bad calls and gets away with some calls, just like every other one.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
theres nothing wrong with testing the water with the officials. If opposing coaches werent such vaginas and let their defenses see how much they can actually get away with.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1o4f2jh2 said:
bigtrain21":1o4f2jh2 said:
bmorepunk":1o4f2jh2 said:
The corners molest receivers within the rules and don't get called all the time when they push it outside of the rules.

That is true for every secondary in the league.

Every secondary in the league that's capable of doing it, which is a bit less than all of them. How many teams have 2+ big corners that can play press effectively with reckless abandon due to the human missile playing behind them? They may want to do it, but few teams can do what the Seahawks secondary do in bullying receivers.

I am more talking about slightly grabbing a guy if starting to get beat and then reeling him in and letting go. All the Corners do it. Covering in the NFL is hard.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's that they are good, when a team can shut players down, the good secondarys of history that were physically intimidating like the Raiders and Steelers of the 70's the 49ers with Lott and our own with Easley were always complained about because they got in teams heads and could take players out of their game and shut down a portion of a offense.

Success breeds storylines, sustained success brings rumours and innuendos of they must be doing something because (insert team and or player) we are to good to be shut down like that.

Media jumps on the comments and complaints to garner headlines.

The Raiders and Steelers with their defensive lines were labled as dirty and got a lot of flags as well, the Steelers linebacker corps over the years same thing. Yet it's funny so many are nominated as all pros and in the hall of fame after the fact as you look back. Lots of the flags are due to added attention given every week because of the media and staffs wanting that unit to be the focal point of the Officials based on the staffs and players trying to gain a edge against those units and players.

HawkWow

Reaction score
plyka":3bh0mrmk said:
bmorepunk":3bh0mrmk said:

Unsure if all this whining is a Stanford thing, a 49er thing or both.

Bill Walsh left the 9ers for Stanford (2nd term) and immediately called the Dawgs cheaters. Demanded action (got it).

Harbaugh leaves Stanford for the 9ers, and calls the Hawks cheaters. Demands action (Pending?).

Not so coincidently, Walsh's team was no match for the Dawgs and Harbaugh's 9ers are no match for the Hawks.

I'm just curious how these cheaters of ours keep getting into the pro-bowl?

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Nice hit piece right before our first playoff game.

It's basically saying we're the IRS: we know the rules but have no oversight or accountability. We get away with targeting our weaker enemies.

I expect the game to be called as it has been called throughout the playoffs. It's been mostly 'let them play.' If it changes that will be the real abuse of power.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Totally expected and probably why ET and Sherm will want money. They're probably among the most scrutinized players in the NFL. I'd take the cash before media and "it's to hard to get our sixth ring" pressure convinced the league to beat the Hawk's secondary for them and lower their value.

Americans hate defense anyways and want basketball scores.

A

Anonymous

My granddad used to call what the Saints are doing: "They're milking the wrong bull!".

Latest posts