Vicious Kam Chancellor hit still haunts Vernon Davis

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Again though, that hit happened in week 16 and in three playoff games Davis went on to exceed his season per game yards and TDs average that year, and went on to have a career year the year after that.

It was a great hard hit. It didn't "steal his soul" by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, I've already said that I think it's a good hit by Kam and I'm glad he didn't get fined for it, but if we're actually going by the definition of the rule book it's impossible to argue that it's a legal hit. When citing contact to the head as the offense (which Kam didn't do) people are citing the wrong clause in the rule.

Rather, the applicable rule is application 1-2 of defenseless posture (literally no way not to argue against application to that hit-- Davis hasn't established himself as a runner by any stretch) in conjoinment with application of clauses (i) and (ii) of 2-3 of prohibited contact (literally no way to argue against its application to that hit -- you can see it in slow mo above: Chancellor leaves his feet in launching upward and his helmet makes forcible contact with Davis' chest).

See here for the rule: http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl ... ss-player/

Again though, I'm personally okay with this hit and I'm glad he didn't get fined for it, but if you actually go by the rule book it was correctly called. People who say it's legal because he didn't make helmet to helmet contact are rightly referencing 2-1, but I'm guessing they probably aren't aware of 2-3.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Popeyejones":eo5a1d91 said:
Again though, that hit happened in week 16 and in three playoff games Davis went on to exceed his season per game yards and TDs average that year, and went on to have a career year the year after that.

It was a great hard hit. It didn't "steal his soul" by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, I've already said that I think it's a good hit by Kam and I'm glad he didn't get fined for it, but if we're actually going by the definition of the rule book it's impossible to argue that it's a legal hit. When citing contact to the head as the offense (which Kam didn't do) people are citing the wrong clause in the rule.

Rather, the applicable rule is application 1-2 of defenseless posture (literally no way not to argue against application to that hit-- Davis hasn't established himself as a runner by any stretch) in conjoinment with application of clauses (i) and (ii) of 2-3 of prohibited contact (literally no way to argue against its application to that hit -- you can see it in slow mo above: Chancellor leaves his feet in launching upward and his helmet makes forcible contact with Davis' chest).

Again though, I'm personally okay with this hit and I'm glad he didn't get fined for it, but if you actually go by the rule book it was correctly called. People who say it's legal because he didn't make helmet to helmet contact are rightly referencing 2-1, but I'm guessing they probably aren't aware of 2-3.

Meh. Stats don't mean as much to me since the basic eye test showed a different player after kam annihilated VD a couple times. I went from greatly fearing his size and speed to barely remembering he's on the field at all in about 1 season.

Case in point. The infamous thanksgiving game.
2 catches for 13 yds.

Jville

Reaction score
I'd always assumed that Kam, being the sportsman that he is, returned Vernon's soul sometime after that game. Although, Vernon was never again the same with Kam on the field ....... from which sprung the legend of Chancellor the Intimidator.

Kam Chancellor in review >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgh8HmKVja8[/urltargetblank]

NINEster

Reaction score
Optimus25":1mogovai said:
Popeyejones":1mogovai said:

Meh. Stats don't mean as much to me since the basic eye test showed a different player after kam annihilated VD a couple times. I went from greatly fearing his size and speed to barely remembering he's on the field at all in about 1 season.

2 catches for 13 yds.

Vernon wasn't a good matchup against the Hawks. He wasn't always dominant against every team, often disappeared for a few games, versus the Hawks especially.

Same with Crabtree. When the Hawks play the Raiders next year, if Crabs goes off it's because he's got a better supporting cast and/or not being covered by Sherman. If he does nothing, just part for the course against Seattle.

Vernon's route running and hands were about average maybe slightly above average. His speed and blocking ability were all world level.

From 2009-2013, as feared as any other TE in the NFL. You factor in the Smith/Kaepernick combo versus guys like Brees, Brady, Rivers, Ryan throwing to Graham, Gronk, Gates, Gonzalez......and you could say Vernon was underrated still.

NINEster

Reaction score
If anything pisses me off about Vernon, it was that he allowed a smaller man to constantly dominate him physically.

My only wish is for him to just tee off on Kam Chancellor every play next time they meet, but of course he won't do that.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Didn't Kam get VD again the following year? (just typed it, lol'd. leaving it worded that way)

Seymour

Reaction score
NINEster":1rcer4qw said:
If anything pisses me off about Vernon, it was that he allowed a smaller man to constantly dominate him physically.

My only wish is for him to just tee off on Kam Chancellor every play next time they meet, but of course he won't do that.

Winners rise to the occasion and take on the challenge head on. Losers wilt and bow down, then eventually fold. :snack:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
One of the best hits I've ever seen. I remember just sitting in shock after it happened..and then after the replay I was furious that they threw a flag.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2amdfg5a said:
One of the best hits I've ever seen. I remember just sitting in shock after it happened..and then after the replay I was furious that they threw a flag.

I would not have even minded 1 flag so much, but IIRC 3 officials threw flags based solely on the impact was too harsh for them.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NINEster":13mihtr4 said:
Optimus25":13mihtr4 said:
Popeyejones":13mihtr4 said:

2 catches for 13 yds.

Vernon wasn't a good matchup against the Hawks. He wasn't always dominant against every team, often disappeared for a few games, versus the Hawks especially.

Same with Crabtree. When the Hawks play the Raiders next year, if Crabs goes off it's because he's got a better supporting cast and/or not being covered by Sherman. If he does nothing, just part for the course against Seattle.

Vernon's route running and hands were about average maybe slightly above average. His speed and blocking ability were all world level.

From 2009-2013, as feared as any other TE in the NFL. You factor in the Smith/Kaepernick combo versus guys like Brees, Brady, Rivers, Ryan throwing to Graham, Gronk, Gates, Gonzalez......and you could say Vernon was underrated still.

Yeah, if the 9ers passing game was humming along against the Hawks and Vernon disappeared you could KINDA try to change the argument from "Kam ended Vernon's dominance" to a weird Seahawks specific argument, but claiming what was happening was about Vernon Davis requires absolutely ignoring that the Hawks' defense over Davis' next two years on the 9ers just destroyed the 9ers offense in general. I don't think the 9ers had over 150 yards passing total in any of those games.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3k2o2hc2 said:
NINEster":3k2o2hc2 said:
Optimus25":3k2o2hc2 said:
Popeyejones":3k2o2hc2 said:
Yeah, if the 9ers passing game was humming along against the Hawks and Vernon disappeared you could KINDA try to change the argument from "Kam ended Vernon's dominance" to a weird Seahawks specific argument, but claiming what was happening was about Vernon Davis requires absolutely ignoring that the Hawks' defense over Davis' next two years on the 9ers just destroyed the 9ers offense in general. I don't think the 9ers had over 150 yards passing total in any of those games.

Yeah, and this is why the Harbaugh era is more disappointing than any of the failed seasons with Montana and Young.

Terrible passing, never eclipsed more than 20 points of offense.

The s*** schematic offense combined with subpar intensity against ONE TEAM is inexcusable.

Can't imagine the new regime not correcting this garbage.

When teams like the Rams can move the ball against Seattle, jump off a bridge or move to Michigan.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That play was significant because it was a nail in the coffin of signifying that the Hawks were the new sheriff in town, but Kam has a ton of big hits every year. Camera angles have a lot to do with reactions. That camera ball tracking hit always looks like a flash and a MOAB or nuke or some ish. IMO, getting a square hit on a good ball carrier that has a chance to not get hit square....is a much bigger accomplishment (obiously still an insane hit though).

[youtube]Pq2I3DeMQVg[/youtube]

[youtube]TW0fGjpUUx0[/youtube]

jdblack

Reaction score
Popeyejones":r4moxnon said:

Kam didn't leave his feet, right foot was on the ground at contact. Check the slow motion video posted earlier in thread, 18 seconds in. Kam's helmet is sideways relative to VD, facing the camera, if there is any contact with VD's chest it is minor and non-crown. Mostly hit VD's arm. Could make a weak argument there, but definitely no launching.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One of the best clean hits I've ever seen. The other was Darryl William's hit on Raider's TE Rickey Dudley. I was right in front of that play and the entire Kingdome lost a few decibels for a split second after because everybody thought they had just witnessed cold-blooded murder. It was amazing.

Crappy quality video. Believe me, in person was much more impressive. (Click on the YouTube icon bottom right to view)

[youtube]XcZZlMKL5xw[/youtube]

irocdave

Reaction score
Kam ruined VD's career. The wood lumber he laid in the OP's video inst the only one Kam has put on VD. That is why Kam is known as penicillin. He kills VD.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't think Kam ruined VD's career. Davis has had a pretty damn good career. Maybe not up to the level of expectation of most, but a good career in which most players last an average of 3 years. He's an accomplished TE in the NFL.

What IS true is that he'll be most remembered for that hit, more than likely.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":e21l0411 said:
Jimjones0384":e21l0411 said:
There were two of those hits, and they ruined Davis for like three seasons.

IMO it was a great, great hit and a perfectly legal one, but the argument that it did in Davis' career has always been an incredibly silly one.

The season after that hit he put up the highest TD total of his career (13), the third highest yardage total of his career (850), and the lowest drop rate of his career. So much for the hit that ended his effectiveness theory.

After that next year he dramatically declined due to what many believed was a disinterest in football.

If I had to face Kam Chancellor twice a year, I'd become disinterested in football as well.