Two things that shouldn't be overlooked

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3a5dgwhr said:
The Hawks lost by two scores, which tends to counteract remarkably well against the "If just this one thing" stories. (That's without even bringing up the inherently faulty premise "just this one thing" stories, as of course, with "just one" different thing the Hawks could have lost by three scores rather than two).

Saying they lost by 2 scores is technically correct, but very misleading considering the Chargers only kicked that additional FG to win by 9 because the Seahawks kept calling timeouts.

For all intents and purposes, it was a 6 point loss.. so.. no you really can trace it back to a couple pivotal mistakes (Harvin fumble, Irvin screw up)

Hawks46

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3w5do2lp said:
In the end, if Harvin doesn't fumble we probably win that game. If Irvin borrowed scarecrows brain, we probably win that one.

Don't forget Sweezy's false start. If Sweezy doesn't false start, we're at 3rd and 10. If everything happens the same way, Wilson scrambles for 13 yards and picks up a 1st down. Instead, it's 3rd and 15, Wilson picks up 13, it's 4th and 2, Pete chooses to punt, and we're all like "WTF?"

Sometimes small penalties are huge.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Popeyejones":10ptl39b said:
The Hawks lost by two scores, which tends to counteract remarkably well against the "If just this one thing" stories. (That's without even bringing up the inherently faulty premise "just this one thing" stories, as of course, with "just one" different thing the Hawks could have lost by three scores rather than two).

The last field goal came after a turnover on downs deep in SEA's territory and as a result of there being too few seconds for SD to milk the remaining clock. If they could have milked the entire clock on kneel downs, then they would have, and it would've ended as a 6-point loss. The last FG was a throwaway score to end the game and obviously would not have occurred if Seattle had scored a go-ahead TD on the final drive.

This was a 6 point game loss in the portions of the game that actually mattered.

Largent80

Reaction score
I started a thread about the uniform colors as soon as I heard the forecast. Heck my wife and I even planned for it by bringing umbrellas to shield the blazing sun.

All of that helped however my wife almost passed out from it. It isn't an excuse BUT, I feel we were out coached because of the heat. The Chargers prepared that short game to try and keep us on the field on defense.

It was a great call by them because they were able to execute it to perfection. I had a great seat in the East end zone and I could see all the plays unfold. Rivers was amazingly accurate. Even throwing the perfect passes to the proper shoulder of his targets. He scrambled a bunch too, without much success yards wise, but he broke our backs with a nice one for about 11 yards and yet another 1st down.

We scored so fast on offense that the D was right back on the field. All of this contributed to the performance. I still believe we are a way better team than they are, but as was proven, being smart and execution are points that cannot be stressed enough.

Our Lb's were dreadful except Wagner. Smith and Wright were downright ugly to watch.

In the end, you MUST credit Rivers and their coaching staff, and Pete needs to pay attention to the conditions

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":o52xcutv said:
Popeyejones":o52xcutv said:

Saying they lost by 2 scores is technically correct, but very misleading considering the Chargers only kicked that additional FG to win by 9 because the Seahawks kept calling timeouts.

For all intents and purposes, it was a 6 point loss.. so.. no you really can trace it back to a couple pivotal mistakes (Harvin fumble, Irvin screw up)

The Harvin turnover resulted directly in a touchdown/extra point. Adding in opportunity cost, you also have to consider the Hawk's lost TOP and a potential scoring drive as effects.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":1swusbjk said:
I started a thread about the uniform colors as soon as I heard the forecast. Heck my wife and I even planned for it by bringing umbrellas to shield the blazing sun.

All of that helped however my wife almost passed out from it. It isn't an excuse BUT, I feel we were out coached because of the heat. The Chargers prepared that short game to try and keep us on the field on defense.

It was a great call by them because they were able to execute it to perfection. I had a great seat in the East end zone and I could see all the plays unfold. Rivers was amazingly accurate. Even throwing the perfect passes to the proper shoulder of his targets. He scrambled a bunch too, without much success yards wise, but he broke our backs with a nice one for about 11 yards and yet another 1st down.

We scored so fast on offense that the D was right back on the field. All of this contributed to the performance. I still believe we are a way better team than they are, but as was proven, being smart and execution are points that cannot be stressed enough.

Our Lb's were dreadful except Wagner. Smith and Wright were downright ugly to watch.

In the end, you MUST credit Rivers and their coaching staff, and Pete needs to pay attention to the conditions
This approach that that acknowledges multiple factors and integrating the weather as a weapon and a valid part of the game plan makes far more sense then the more extreme stance you were advocating upthread. The most important factor of all is that the Chargers executed perfectly and must be given their due.

Largent80

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":4h5vr7rj said:
Largent80":4h5vr7rj said:

This approach that that acknowledges multiple factors and integrating the weather as a weapon and a valid part of the game plan makes far more sense then the more extreme stance you were advocating upthread. The most important factor of all is that the Chargers executed perfectly and must be given their due.

Not sure what you are talking about with my "extreme" stance, all I said was that Gates reminded me of Kellen Winslow, you know, the great former TE of the Chargers?

Laloosh

Reaction score
As a follow up to my initial post.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/kennetharthurs/status/512328142103384064[/tweet]

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":pocjyi8e said:
MizzouHawkGal":pocjyi8e said:
Largent80":pocjyi8e said:

Not sure what you are talking about with my "extreme" stance, all I said was that Gates reminded me of Kellen Winslow, you know, the great former TE of the Chargers?
I was referencing the wrong thread sorry about that.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2515ct5q said:
Popeyejones":2515ct5q said:

Fair enough (sincerely), but that's kinda my point. If Percy had "JUST" not fumbled "THEN" the Hawks would have "JUST" had to score a touchdown and "THEN" they wouldn't have gone four-and-out for minus one yard and "THEN" it wouldn't their last possession would have mattered because it wouldn't have been a two score game.

The rabbit hole of "just one thing" can take you any place you want, which doesn't change the fact that in the actual game it ended up a two score game. Heck, if we're allowing ourselves one "just" why not just have Rivers be killed by a sniper before kickoff, or have Antonio Gates just go out with an injury on the first play. It's a much better use of the "just" argumentation, IMO. ;)

Like all choose-your-own-adventure stories, you can't change just one turn and know where you're going to end up, unless of course you're using the benefit of hindsight and flipping back and forth through chapters to figure out the path you want to go (as EVERYONE has done with Choose Your Own Adventure books, and which has NEVER ultimately been "just" one thing :) ).

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, my other stance about the game is that heat played a big part in our demise, and that our line backers played like dog doo outside of Bobby Wagner. I'm pretty sure those are spot on as well since I was at the game and watched both of those things very closely.

Not saying I am some sort of Roland and am always right however. Just ask my wife.... :lol:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":1ek941e0 said:
Well, my other stance about the game is that heat played a big part in our demise, and that our line backers played like dog doo outside of Bobby Wagner. I'm pretty sure those are spot on as well since I was at the game and watched both of those things very closely.

Not saying I am some sort of Roland and am always right however. Just ask my wife.... :lol:
This is why you're still married it's very smart to listen to your wife instead of yourself like Ro sometimes does.:)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3u9k2gxp said:
Hasselbeck":3u9k2gxp said:
Popeyejones":3u9k2gxp said:

Fair enough (sincerely), but that's kinda my point. If Percy had "JUST" not fumbled "THEN" the Hawks would have "JUST" had to score a touchdown and "THEN" they wouldn't have gone four-and-out for minus one yard and "THEN" it wouldn't their last possession would have mattered because it wouldn't have been a two score game.

The rabbit hole of "just one thing" can take you any place you want, which doesn't change the fact that in the actual game it ended up a two score game. Heck, if we're allowing ourselves one "just" why not just have Rivers be killed by a sniper before kickoff, or have Antonio Gates just go out with an injury on the first play. It's a much better use of the "just" argumentation, IMO. ;)

Like all choose-your-own-adventure stories, you can't change just one turn and know where you're going to end up, unless of course you're using the benefit of hindsight and flipping back and forth through chapters to figure out the path you want to go (as EVERYONE has done with Choose Your Own Adventure books, and which has NEVER ultimately been "just" one thing :) ).

All agreeable enough but my takeaway is that despite horrible LB play, we had a chance to win the game with three minutes to play.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yep, can't argue with that at all.

Kinda like my silver lining of the 9ers embarrassment: despite four 2nd half turnovers (and losing the TO battle 4-0), the 9ers were (yet again -- ugghhh) one end of game normal pass into the endzone away from being in it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3phvhtq8 said:

Kinda like my silver lining of the 9ers embarrassment: despite four 2nd half turnovers (and losing the TO battle 4-0), the 9ers were (yet again -- ugghhh) one end of game normal pass into the endzone away from being in it.

9ers and Chiefs alike. Poor QB play FTL :stirthepot:

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Chargers had an excellent game plan. They isolated Gates on the right side by moving all of the wide receivers to the left side. This got all the DBs, including Sherman on the left side, leaving KJ, Malcolm or Chancellor to deal with Antonio Gates.

As good as they have been at shutting down Jimmy Graham (Shut you down!), Vernon Davis (Know what I mean Vern?) & Julius Thomas (Shut you down!), they struggled against Gates. Everybody struggles against Antonio though. This is nothing new and has been going on for a decade. And prior to that, it was the Gates & Brees show. It's a tradition in San Diego that started with Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow senior, under the tutelage of Don "Air" Coryell.

It's just one of those things, where some teams, both college and professional are known over the years for a certain aspect of the game. Like the Chicago Bears and *chuckle* defense.

Largent80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":17mlwxp1 said:

Well here ya go. A 9er fan becomes an expert on a game he wasn't even near. Meanwhile his team imploded and lost to an inferior team on their own field.

-Pete-

Reaction score
They didn't score on the drive, but I thought that phantom hold on Smith at the start of the 3rd was a game changer. Negated a sack on 3rd down. No flag there and SD is kicking from their own 14, 'Hawks probably get decent field position and the D gets an early breather.

Those penalties SD kept taking in the RZ never really hurt them and actually helped the TOP difference.