Truly fascinating Russell Wilson stat

formido

Reaction score
To those claiming this is "more" about the defense: Nope.

"Over his last two years in college – at two schools, mind you – Wilson also somehow managed to avoid any lopsided losses. The biggest margin of defeat was 11 points against Virginia Tech, and that came after two Hokie touchdowns in the last 1:15.

Hell, he was even on the winning Senior Bowl team.

The last time Wilson played in a game where he was on the wrong end of garbage time was Nov. 21, 2009, a 38-10 loss to Virginia Tech at the end of his sophomore season at NC State. He liked that so much that he closed that season with an upset win at ranked North Carolina where he was 20 of 27 for 259 yards, four TDs and zero INTs.

That was 51 games ago."

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... ory/24239/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
formido":2tbbfter said:
To those claiming this is "more" about the defense: Nope.

If anything you could say this stat shows that the defense has let Russell down more than a few times when he's given them a lead. You don't lose by such small margins if your defense isn't allowing last minute scoring drives.

But that's football, you win some games late, you lose some games late. The hope is with a great defense you win more games late than lose, which has been the case so far with Russell as our QB.

hawk45

Reaction score
The defense did let Russ down late a few times last year. But in 2 years what the defense has not done is allow a lot of points regardless of outcome.

15.8 PPG allowed this year, 15.3 PPG allowed last year. Essentially there have been only a few games where the offense would have to score more than 9 to avoid losing by more than 7 pts.

Look, if the scores were more often in the 30-40 range it'd be all Russell. But when the defense is #1 or #2 in points allowed, then limiting the margin of loss says more about the defense.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Russell's going to obliterate every record in the book. He started doing this his rookie year when he tied PMann for tds by a rookie.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Interesting yes but IMO This shows what a HUGE MISS Percy Harvin has been! All we needed was to add a player who could make a seven point difference in two or three games a season…. And we didn’t even get that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ceej22":26wgz4vd said:
scutterhawk":26wgz4vd said:
ceej22":26wgz4vd said:
This is great but this is more on the defense than Wilson. Especially considering many of those games were scores under 20 pts. I'd be willing to put more of this on Wilson if our defense was giving up 25 pts per game. A few of those games we could say they offense wasn't good at all losing with scores like 13-6, 19-13, 20-16, and 19-17. Opponents only scored more than 24 in two of those losses (regular season).

I love Wilson as much as the next guy but let's settle down a bit here and give praise where praise is due.
So, Wilson had no part in OUT SCORING his opponents?, it's all due to the Defense keeping the opponents from coming back?.......okay.

Umm in those games he didn't out score the opponents. Thought we were talking about losses here.
Umm, no.
You insinuated that all the wins were because of the Defense, ALONE, and that Wilson is to blame for NOT being able to outscore in all those opponents in those losses. Let's give credit, where credit is due.

BASF

Reaction score
jlwaters1":w4ktng5n said:
Why does everyone count MIAMI in this category.

Because we had a TD lead midway through the fourth quarter and lost by a field goal. That is a loss after a fourth quarter lead which Leon Washington provided the defense and they blew.

ceej22

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3l8zmk83 said:
ceej22":3l8zmk83 said:
scutterhawk":3l8zmk83 said:
ceej22":3l8zmk83 said:
This is great but this is more on the defense than Wilson. Especially considering many of those games were scores under 20 pts. I'd be willing to put more of this on Wilson if our defense was giving up 25 pts per game. A few of those games we could say they offense wasn't good at all losing with scores like 13-6, 19-13, 20-16, and 19-17. Opponents only scored more than 24 in two of those losses (regular season).

I love Wilson as much as the next guy but let's settle down a bit here and give praise where praise is due.
So, Wilson had no part in OUT SCORING his opponents?, it's all due to the Defense keeping the opponents from coming back?.......okay.

Umm in those games he didn't out score the opponents. Thought we were talking about losses here.
Umm, no.
You insinuated that all the wins were because of the Defense, ALONE, and that Wilson is to blame for NOT being able to outscore in all those opponents in those losses. Let's give credit, where credit is due.

You keep saying wins but we are talking about Seattle losses here. In addition, no where did I use such extremes as to give SOLE credit or BLAME to any one player or aspect of the team. The only thing I insinuated is that I am more impressed with the defense regarding those stats than Wilson or at the very least equally impressed.

warden

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":81sxh5gu said:
Since being named starter a year ago.. Russell Wilson has started 31 games (including playoffs)

He is 23-8 as a starting quarterback.. the 8 games he has lost as a starter?

Not one loss by more than a touchdown.

The Streak of not having a loss by more then 7 points for the Seahawks dates back to mid season in 2011. This streak started before Wilson on our team. This is a team stat not a Wilson stat. QBs get to much credit as well as they get too much of the blame.

irocdave

Reaction score
Says more about the team as a whole than just QB. Wilson is really good but not the single reason the team has been in every game. We will find out how great Wilson is in a couple of years when key players want to get paid and leave via free agency. If he can do what Brady does year in and year out with scrubs his legacy will be cemented. Until then just enjoy a great hawks TEAM.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ceej22":15n3g7x9 said:
You keep saying wins but we are talking about Seattle losses here. In addition, no where did I use such extremes as to give SOLE credit or BLAME to any one player or aspect of the team. The only thing I insinuated is that I am more impressed with the defense regarding those stats than Wilson or at the very least equally impressed.
Well I suppose you're right, we'd probably have EXACTLY the same amount of points, and wins in ALL the games we've played with Charlie Whitehurst instead of Russell Wilson at the helm in the last two Seasons :roll:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3qpi5qsm said:
October 2, 2009 (1,533 Days Ago)

Virginia Tech 41 North Carolina State 30

This is the last time that a Russell Wilson led football team lost by more than 7 points.

It is also the last time that Russell Wilson has lost a football game on his home field.

Ummmmmmmm, wow.

That deserves a WOW. 4+ years of amazing ball and a seamless transition to the NFL. WOW.