Tom Cable interview 6-17

Jville

Reaction score
Terrific interview. :th2thumbs: Excellent insights

Turbin has "stopped stomping snakes"
[urltargetblank]http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro/2014/06/c_brockanddanny061714_9973160.mp3[/urltargetblank]
... Carp's playing a different level and pace than he's done in the past.
- Cable said the real competition is as to who can be the best between J.R. Sweezy and James Carpenter. Calls Sweezy one of the best young guards in the game, thinks he'll prove that this year to fans.....
[urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/on-the-airwaves/2014/6/17/5818294/tom-cable-breaks-down-positional-battles[/urltargetblank]

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
On Turbin : Man that's awesome. If one thing that was holding him back as a runner, it was his inability to pick up his feet at times emulating Sean McGrath. The guy has beast potential if he can run with superb balance along with speed and power.

On Carp: Nothing bad has been said thus far this off-season other than the haters in the fan base. Hopefully, better conditioning leads to better consistency, better consistency = better play.

On Sweezy: You have to take what Cable said with a grain of salt. But for those who only focus on the negatives and act like their is no such thing has progression won't see it. Take all the positives that we've seen from Sweezy and understand he's only been doing this for 2 years... ill stand by what I said in the past... Sweezy will be an All-Pro if not the best guard in the NFL someday... it might be 4 or 5 years from now before he builds up that reputation and distinction but he has special written all over him and by gaining 20 pounds of muscle over the off-season the only thing holding him back is experience (and obviously that takes time). Here's to hoping Cable doesn't move on and bring Sweezy over once his deal runs out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I agree with Tom, Sweezy is severely underrated, both around the league, and by Hawk fans. I do think JR will be one of the best guards over the next two years, and unlike most, he will be kicking ass 20 yards down the field.

He is my bet to take the mantle of Breno as an intimidator this year.

drdiags

Reaction score
Maybe Sweezy will be the Seahawks "Chris Dielhman" revenge story. Still cannot believe that chump Dielhman didn't like the dreary weather. Who does?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Turbin's problem isn't picking a lane, its staying on his feet when someone breathes on him. I cant tell you how many times I've seen this guy try and make a cut and fall down without ever being touched. He's not a #1 RB.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I'm one of those haters but I don't believe Carpenter is a good football player. I just don't see it in him. Hope he proves me wrong.

CANHawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":lnjc6jlf said:
I'm one of those haters but I don't believe Carpenter is a good football player. I just don't see it in him. Hope he proves me wrong.
I whole heartedly disagree. Carp has shown signs of being a real beast of a run blocker. He has been seen on several occasions 10 yards down field destroying guys on the second level. And has opened gaping holes for Marshawn.

His pass protection has been very shaky at times, but I've thought his run blocking has been top notch. He could work on his athleticism to be better in the pulling game (I recall him looking like a big slow slug when they've pulled him before) but I still have fairly high hopes for big Carp.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I too think Sweezy will become a Pro Bowler, He has all kinds of nasty and power. His penalties are usually from piling on just after the whistle but he loves to put the hurt on people who aren't paying attention.

I'm coming around on Carpenter after listening to Cable. It sounds like James lost his confidence after being injured and I can see that. When you are that huge and have dominated all of your life, then all of a sudden injury limits your ability to stay in shape and condition your body, that's tough.

He's still a young man and Tom mentioned "confidence" and "maturity." Call me a homer, but I see this offensive line dominating the line of scrimmage this year.

I believe Turbin will have a great year too. If it weren't for all the penalties he would have a much higher yard per carry average because he has broken some long runs that have been called back.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Personally, I think Turbin is pretty underrated by this fanbase. People are too reactionary. I remember there were threads and posts last off-season about Doug Baldwin being the odd man out after a down sophomore season and now he's arguably our best all-around receiver.

Look at Turbin's per-carry numbers from his rookie year. Those are good numbers. We saw a drop because our O-line had issues last year in both pass protection and run blocking. Marshawn's YPC numbers dropped as well. If you added in all the explosive runs that Turbin had that were called back on 50/50 holding calls, his YPC numbers would probably have been pretty strong.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3gv31i4n said:

You're right in context... James Carpenter hasn't been a quality football player because he hasn't been able to develop the last three years.

Year 1: Carpenter was drafted and because of the lock-out there were no rookie mini-camp, voluntary OTAs, mandatory mini-camp. The team could not speak to him about his role nor could he work out at the facility. Then on a shortened off-season scheduled after the lock-out was dealt with, Carp had to transition from being an LT to RT. It seems like a small thing but the learning curve is different for every player. Carp himself said he was more comfortable on the left side. As rookie, when Robert Gallery was questionable with a sprained knee, Carp took some LG reps, and this is what he said,

"I'm pretty comfortable because I played on the left side for like my whole life before coming over here. I'm more comfortable on the left, but I'm just going to do my job, what I have to do to help my team win."

After 9 games, 9 starts (playing next to rookie RG as well) Carp severely injures his knee in practice and is done for the season. To my understanding this was the most significicant injury Carp suffered in his playing career that has been relatively healthy prior.

Year 2: Seahawks didn't clear Carp to play until September 1st meaning he spent about 10 or so months in rehab. In Cables words, they said they kind of rushed Carp back too soon or didn't handle the rehab process all too well. Carp, came back, at LG, missed a few games because of concussion symptoms but made 7 starts before he was shelved re-injuring or having complications with the same knee.

Year 3: The rehab was somewhat faster this time as Carp was up and running by training camp, IIRC. However, he was severely overweight, poorly conditioned at 350. And in my totally unprofessional opinion he was shell shocked and fearful. There is a certain psychology in everything where one has to overcome the stress of something traumatic. In sports, its usually severe injuries and I'd suspect out of all athletes, O-lineman and DTs have the biggest wall to climb. And you could see it in Carp's play... he was slow and tenative on the field which made him inconsistent. But on the brightside he was able to play in 18 of 19 games starting 12 of them, I believe. A huge stepping stone for his career. And likely a big accomplishment for someone who had to grind out the last 2 years in injury rehab.

Year 4: This year. I think being able to actually workout and train during the off-season has done wonders in reducing that injury stress and fear. It was reported in late Feb, I believe or early March that Carp was down to 320 by a tweet from Carp himself. Then in OTAs, it was reported that Carp slimmed down about 15 pounds. For a guy who came in at 350 pounds last year to probably come into the season at a 315-320 is huge. And you're hearing a lot of a great things from Cable, teammates, and reporters: Carp looks slimmer, faster, smarter, more confidence, he's hustling and working hard, looks more effective. Just good things and Unger also said the team is expecting a lot from Carpenter this year.

And I do too... I feel that if he can just play naturally with confidence, put the injuries behind, continue to work hard, getting into the best shape that he possibly can, leaving it all out on football field, and be ALL IN every single snap (which he should since its a contract year)... the sky is the limit for Carpenter. He has all the tools, the size, and the power to be as dominant as any guard in the NFL. He just needs to play fearlessly, get back that nasty, play intelligently, and be consistent. And I believe he's on that path finally after a couple years of set-backs.

We'll see different James Carpenter this season and hopefully he'll be able to stay healthy.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1wufqu7z said:
Personally, I think Turbin is pretty underrated by this fanbase. People are too reactionary. I remember there were threads and posts last off-season about Doug Baldwin being the odd man out after a down sophomore season and now he's arguably our best all-around receiver.

Look at Turbin's per-carry numbers from his rookie year. Those are good numbers. We saw a drop because our O-line had issues last year in both pass protection and run blocking. Marshawn's YPC numbers dropped as well. If you added in all the explosive runs that Turbin had that were called back on 50/50 holding calls, his YPC numbers would probably have been pretty strong.

Turbin definitely had unbelievable luck with penalties last season. I'm guessing with average penalty luck his YPC would have probably been around 4.5 or so. I don't hold the 3.4 YPC against him. 3.4 YPC is what a lot of backs would have if you called back 90% of their 15+ runs.

BUT, the reason I don't care much for Turbin anymore is because he's proven to be a guy that needs ideal circumstances to make plays, and our line only rarely creates those pristine conditions, which is why a back like Marshawn Lynch has been so valuable to us. I also see a lot of plays where Turbin gives up BIG chances for yards before he falls over or is shoe-string tackled. Balance is extremely important for RBs and it is a big issue for Turbin.

I think if Turbin had good balance, he'd be a star. But sometimes one crippling weakness can undo a player, and I think Turbin is one such case. And unfortunately, balance is a talent, if there are cases of it being coached into players, I'm unaware of any such examples.