Tom Cable Week 3 Press Conference 9/20/17

hawknation2017

Reaction score
There will definitely be improvement this week for the offensive line or at least the perception of improvement. Tennessee's defense does not scare me at all, except for Jurrell Casey (who will hopefully be neutralized somewhat by Joeckel). Odhiambo will get run over a few times by their backers, but what else is new? They should be able to run the ball against that defense.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
The argument of compensation or allocated dollars to the offensive line starts to fall apart for me when I think of what quality of qb play we got out of Russ for over three years until his first big contract. I'm not so sure you can just look at dollars allocated and poof, qualty should be measured there.

Am I wrong?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1udk3j9b said:
The argument of compensation or allocated dollars to the offensive line starts to fall apart for me when I think of what quality of qb play we got out of Russ for over three years until his first big contract. I'm not so sure you can just look at dollars allocated and poof, qualty should be measured there.

Am I wrong?

No. But I think you have to choose between paying high priced veterans or drafting a sufficient number of high quality prospects to make up for not having those veterans. We have done neither, which is why we are currently in dire straits. We only drafted one high quality OL prospect this year, and he happens to play a position where we are already set.

The Titans are an example of that 2nd approach with three of their starters on rookie contracts, including two first round OTs.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1gky0mcj said:
Here is the rub. The Seahawks are spending a lot less than the league average on offensive linemen. League average for OL is $25 million. We are spending just $16.5 million, which is less than 10% of the cap.

Raiders, Eagles, Browns, and Steelers have the four best offensive lines in the NFL because they PAY for good blockers.

Oid3iBM

I personally think Rees Odhiambo was a bad pick in the 3rd round, but the vast majority of 3rd round picks fail in the NFL. That is why I felt we needed to invest heavily in the offensive line in this year's draft, which we failed to do.

Britt was a good pick. Ifedi has a chance to be a good pick. Joeckel has looked OK as a "prove it" free agent, who was already considered a bust as a high first rounder. That still leaves two spots void, including the all-important LT position.

You can't just look at dollars. We elected to spend draft capital on OL players so that we could spend dollars on existing players. So it isn't just related to paying - yes in part but not fully

Separately we went out and said we ranked Joeckel very high and wasted $8million........ that was a guy we WANTED....

ludakrishna

Reaction score
mikeak":3l5gmeis said:
hawknation2017":3l5gmeis said:
Here is the rub. The Seahawks are spending a lot less than the league average on offensive linemen. League average for OL is $25 million. We are spending just $16.5 million, which is less than 10% of the cap.

Raiders, Eagles, Browns, and Steelers have the four best offensive lines in the NFL because they PAY for good blockers.

Oid3iBM

I personally think Rees Odhiambo was a bad pick in the 3rd round, but the vast majority of 3rd round picks fail in the NFL. That is why I felt we needed to invest heavily in the offensive line in this year's draft, which we failed to do.

Britt was a good pick. Ifedi has a chance to be a good pick. Joeckel has looked OK as a "prove it" free agent, who was already considered a bust as a high first rounder. That still leaves two spots void, including the all-important LT position.

You can't just look at dollars. We elected to spend draft capital on OL players so that we could spend dollars on existing players. So it isn't just related to paying - yes in part but not fully

Separately we went out and said we ranked Joeckel very high and wasted $8million........ that was a guy we WANTED....

Don't forget, Cable called Joeckel the BEST left guard in the league. My eyes tell me otherwise watching him play this season....so far

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their responses. In particular, I appreciate those who were interested in the subject and in subject discipline. As the posts collectively reveal, not everyone is equally capable.

Reoccurring pet peeve topics about trailing cap cost distributions, draft picks, team building philosophies, among others do not address the specific scope of many posted subjects. They are repetitive diversions. Just the same old boring pet peeve hang ups that hijack subjects and walk over thread after thread. I truly question the ability of a forum to focus on the details of any one subject for very long. It is no mystery to me why so many are so lost about current details.

I appreciate each of you who share links to verifiable Seahawks sources. It is a proven tool for filtering out background noise. I want to know more. So .... please keep posting.

Go Seahawks