Todd Gurley proving he’ll join NFL’s elite RBs sooner rather

Rex

Reaction score
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/03/todd-g ... nl_siextra

We’ve all seen those Todd Gurley highlights come across our televisions during a gamebreak or on RedZone because, let’s face it, the Rams haven’t exactly been Game of the Week material in the recent past (although that could change in the second half of the season as St. Louis sits at 4–3).

Gurley certainly looks impressive galloping through defenses on big gains, like the 71-yard touchdown he had on Sunday against the 49ers. Big, strong and fast would describe Gurley, who at this point looks like a cross between Adrian Peterson and former Jaguars great Fred Taylor. Considering Gurley is less than a year removed from tearing his ACL in his final season at Georgia, it’s even more impressive.

Gurley’s statistics back up the snippets we’ve seen. Despite missing the first two games (and having just six carries for nine yards in his debut against Pittsburgh on Sept. 27), Gurley is fifth in the NFL in rushing yards (575), first in yards per game (115) and first yards per attempt (6.1). Gurley is also tied for second with seven rushes of 20 yards or more, and first with four rushes of 40 yards or more.

Naturally, with those highlights and stats, the accolades have poured in for the Rams’ rookie RB. Columnists and talking heads have espoused that he is an undeniable talent who may change how his position is viewed by front offices, starring as this year’s No. 10 pick after 2013 and ’14 saw consecutive first rounds without a running back drafted for the first time since 1963.

That will be proved in time, but at this point, Gurley is a bit perplexing. He has gaudy numbers, but just about every analytic you check has him as a good but not great back.

What’s the truth? All of it, actually, if you take it in context.

Per Football Outsiders (through Week 7, before the 49ers game), Gurley had a success rate of 45%, which ranked just 27th out of 38 qualifying backs. Success rate measures a back’s consistency based on the percentage of carries in which the player gains 40% of the needed yards on first down, 60% on second down, or 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. That indicates that Gurley’s not getting a lot of mid-range gains, but has a lot of stuffed runs and a few really long gains.

The Rams’ offensive line is No. 1 in an FO stat called Open Field Yards, which measures how many running back yards come at least 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. This stat points to Gurley’s home run ability and how he is very tough for a one-on-one tackler to bring down in the open field, which the film backs up.

At Pro Football Focus, Gurley is the 11th-rated running back. If you toss out the first three weeks of the season, Gurley moves up to fifth but is well behind the top four of Doug Martin, Le’Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman and Chris Ivory. Gurley’s average of 3.2 yards after contact average since Week 3 is tied for eighth. In the same time period, Gurley is tied for fourth in missed tackles (18) behind Bell (23), Freeman and Martin (both with 19).

There’s no question that Gurley is probably the biggest home run threat at running back in the NFL, and his 58.1 breakaway percentage on PFF (percentage of a back’s yardage that comes from rushes over 15 yards) shows that. Martin and Denver’s Ronnie Hillman are tied for second at 49.8%.

Finally, Gurley is sixth in PFF’s elusive rating, which illustrates a runner’s success after being helped by his blockers. Bell, who was the undisputed top back in the game by any measure before his knee injury on Sunday, is first with an amazing 90.6.

What does the film say about Gurley? Basically, that he gets what is blocked for him, and he has the finishing burst to make a big play if given a hole….

… you have to give the Rams’ offensive line a lot of credit as well on those big plays. The unit has had their problems: Gurley’s 25.5% of stuff runs (gaining one yard or less outside of the opponent’s five-yard line) is mostly their issue, though it must be pointed out that among the best backs, only Bell, DeMarco Murray and Chris Johnson have a lower stuff percentage. But Gurley’s pretty much getting what’s blocked for him. So on those big runs, LT Greg Robinson, LG Garrett Reynolds, C Tim Barnes, RG Jamon Brown (starter Roger Saffold had season-ending shoulder surgery two weeks ago) and RT Rob Havenstein should take a bow as well. That bodes well for the future of the Rams. Reynolds (28) and Barnes (27) are the oldest starters among that group. They’ll get better with time.

The same goes for Gurley. It’s amazing that he’s already at this point so soon after ACL surgery. He deserves all the bouquets thrown his way just for that. The simple fact that Gurley is to the point where he’s getting what is or isn’t blocked for him a great majority of the time shows that he has a leg up on most rookie runners, who usually have a longer adjustment period.

Gurley also seems to be getting better with every game. That 48-yard run against the Browns was by far his most impressive run of the season to date. Not only did he find a miniscule cutback lane and break two tackles at the point of attack, but he then quickly got back up to speed and went horizontal to the sideline before most defenders knew what was going on. That’s a situation where Gurley greatly exceeded what was blocked. Once he starts doing that with more regularity, he will be one of the league’s elite. Six games into his career, Gurley is showing that time is going to be sooner rather than later.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Booo!

I didn't like the Gurley pick this spring and like it even less now, reminds me of when you picked Steven Jackson.

:)

RedAlice

Reaction score
I think the thing I will rememberr forever.

NONE of my Charger fans friends agreed to watch the draft with me. They said I yell and scream too much and it's annoying.

I had my own little lonely table at a sports bar.

I didn't get it at first. I was silent. I member because the entire bar was yelling and I was silent.

Then: I go: Fisher wants this guy!!! chaos ensues.

:179417: :179417: :179417: :179417:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tried to tell everyone here that the Rams just drafted a scary dude when they got Gurley. Hope he stays healthy, love watching him play (except not looking forward to Week 16)

Tical21

Reaction score
Yep, I said he was an absolute franchise-changer. I just love watching him play. I don't think he's as explosive as Adrian was at the same age, but he's pretty darn close. I actually just bought a Rams jersey. Don't tell anyone.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Tical21":jnjt3hnm said:
Yep, I said he was an absolute franchise-changer. I just love watching him play. I don't think he's as explosive as Adrian was at the same age, but he's pretty darn close. I actually just bought a Rams jersey. Don't tell anyone.

It is stupid how good he is.

In my head last week, I kept saying: push him back, stop him. keep doing that. keep on. He needs that:

Yes.

Dude is crazy as crazy can be.

It's like he feeds off of being stopped and then explodes.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Rams get into the post season because of him...unless he blows a knee out or something.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1v77sfa9 said:
Rams get into the post season because of him...unless he blows a knee out or something.

Rams miss the post season because of Fisher.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
He is already the best in the game. If he can stay healthy and continue his absurd level of play, he'll be the best ever. He's only 21 years old.

ringless

Reaction score
SuperMan28":30z8neex said:
He is already the best in the game. If he can stay healthy and continue his absurd level of play, he'll be the best ever. He's only 21 years old.

Well I think it's really early to make that kind of statement.

Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton based off a couple of games?

He is clearly got a lot of potential but it takes year of production to even start going that direction.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
ringless":hogujrf2 said:
SuperMan28":hogujrf2 said:

Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton based off a couple of games?

He is clearly got a lot of potential but it takes year of production to even start going that direction.

It is early, and he's started early. He has that ability. Just has to stay healthy.

Hard to imagine anybody catching Emmit Smith, I must admit. If a RB played stayed healthy for 13 seasons and averaged just under 1500 yards a year, they would catch Emmit. That's a heck of a lot. Gurley is 21 now and would be 34 at that time. That's real tough.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":1uj70jme said:
SuperMan28":1uj70jme said:

Just a bit. :D

I read in the days leading up to the draft that the Niners would have a really tough time passing on him if he fell to them even with Carlos Hyde in the backfield.

As soon as the rams made the pick my reaction was something akin to "DOH!!".

That's two years in a row BTW...I'd heard the year before they were trying to move up for Beckham Jr.

Double Doh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-4 ... -a-wr-mean

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Gurley has the kind of talent that Whiner fans delusionally think Carlos Hyde possesses. In reality, Hyde is not 1/2 the RB that Gurley is . . . you can't build an offense around Hyde, at least a successful one, because he gets hit too much in the backfield and struggles to average four yards per carry. Gurley, on the other hand, could easily be the cornerstone of an offense, like Marshawn Lynch has been over the last six seasons.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I remember watching the draft and the question was, who is the better back; Gurley or Gordon? I keep hearing how amazing Gurley is and the only thing I have heard about Gordon is that he is a fumble factory. Rams chose wisely.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MrThortan":ktxb9a2b said:
I remember watching the draft and the question was, who is the better back; Gurley or Gordon? I keep hearing how amazing Gurley is and the only thing I have heard about Gordon is that he is a fumble factory. Rams chose wisely.

The Gurley vs. Gordon debate didn't last too long. It became pretty clear that Gurley possessed special talent, while Gordon is mediocre, like a faster Carlos Hyde.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lxsrnj0 said:
ringless":2lxsrnj0 said:
SuperMan28":2lxsrnj0 said:

I read in the days leading up to the draft that the Niners would have a really tough time passing on him if he fell to them even with Carlos Hyde in the backfield.

That's two years in a row BTW...I'd heard the year before they were trying to move up for Beckham Jr.

Double Doh.

Having both of those players wouldn't make any difference behind that offensive line and with that QB.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SuperMan28":1uxn9udy said:

Pump your brakes there guy.. I love Gurley but its been 4 games. :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3ovjjav2 said:
Marvin49":3ovjjav2 said:
ringless":3ovjjav2 said:
SuperMan28":3ovjjav2 said:

Double Doh.

Having both of those players wouldn't make any difference behind that offensive line and with that QB.

We seldom agree, but on this one I agree 100%..at least in regards to the line.

So far, Gurley looks like he could be a once in a generation back, but it's super early.