Time Outs for Clock Management

OP
OP
AubHawk71

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I m sure the onside kick decision thread is forthcoming. Rope a dope Pete has never been good at trickery, and that is fine. Why not put the worst onside kickers ever in position to swing the game?

Sarcasm aside, im glad they called that. Because they let the Rams score quickly instead of takng 8 mins off the clock. Because in the NFL if there is under 10 mins left in the fourth, you would never, ever use a timeout unless it was under 1 min left. Ever. Got the high risk pointless onside kick out of the way early. And holding to tmieouts almost worked!

OP
OP
AubHawk71

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Sorry to dust off this old thread, but there goes Pete again taking two timeouts into the lockerroom in his back pocket, because why? And then having to burn two timeouts for the bad version of the 12th man? When is it going to change? 4 timeouts wasted, at home, because of bad coaching. Terrible'.

rcaido

Reaction score
i think they thought they could have thrown for one more quick pass then go for a timeout. Then another pass to setup for a FG timeout.

Wilson found an opening and threw an amazing throw and great catch by Metcalf. They should still have given the Seahawks that timeout. There was a second left.
71502058_10206132306502814_97355007245942784_o.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rcaido":1usao8ef said:
i think they thought they could have thrown for one more quick pass then go for a timeout. Then another pass to setup for a FG timeout.

Like Romo said after the first down, if you're going for it, then you call a TO and give your offense 10-12 seconds to try a bomb and spike it.

If not, you run the clock out. Pete did both wrong, and admitted it.

The problem is this kind of stuff is rudimentary junior high clock management. If I can yell at the TV six beers deep to take a TO after 1st down? Pete should sure as hell know that.

It's like he's struggling emotionally with himself with what to do "should we throw it deep? Run out the clock and go into halftime? OMG IDK ERRGGGGGG!!!"

mikeak

Reaction score
rcaido":2rnhxmoq said:
Give it up, nothing wrong with the timeouts...

If you want to complain about the play calling & lack of tempo sure but the timeouts were justified. The last play of the game gave them the potential to tie the game.

It was incorrectly used before the 2min warning.

We should have taken it before so that after the next play there was 2mins left

we took it on the other side of 2min warning

OP
OP
AubHawk71

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I'm sorry I watched that game yesterday, but such is life.

I know when you get into the two-minute drill, keep 'em on their heels tempo you want to strike fast, but at this point shouldn't Pete and Russ have some sort of telepathy in these situations to keep the drive going? They had EVERYTHING in their favor with the clock and timeouts. I mean, those two are solid veterans. Fundamental business like that should be instinctual after all the games they've played together. FUNDAMENTALS. That was lacking yesterday.

Also, Coach could probably not waste any more challenges on ticky tack pass interference calls (or lack thereof) moving forward, when it's clearly just a stopgap for super blown calls like the NFC title game last year. Gotta try I guess...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love Pete as a coach. But a couple things that he needs to chance, and likely never will: Time Management and his stubborn "we are a running team" crap is getting beyond old.
He is what he is, and his success speaks for itself. But my god he is bad with time management.

OP
OP
AubHawk71

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I feel like there is always a shifting balance of what you have for talent and game prep, and what you do with it once you are on the field. Adjustments need to be made with...adjustments. The players are there, the talent is NFL level just like every team. (cept maybe Miami this year.) Coach is the ringmaster, sure, but...but but but.