Throwback clip: Krieg to Skansi, 1990 at Arrowhead

irocdave

Reaction score
Not sure how accurate stats are but here goes -

Ranks 4th in consecutive uninterrupted games with at least one touchdown pass: 28
Ranks 6th in consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass: 28[29]
Ranks 12th in NFL career passing touchdowns: 261[30]
Ranks 12th in NFL wins by a starting quarterback: 98
Ranks 13th in NFL career passing yards: 38,147[31]
Ranks 13th in NFL career pass attempts: 5,311[32]
Ranks 15th in NFL career completions: 3,105[33]
Seattle Seahawks career leader in touchdown passes (195), touchdown percentage (5.5) and yards gained per pass attempt (7.3)
Holds Seahawks single season records for pass attempts (532 in 1985), highest completion percentage (65.61 in 1991), highest average gain (8.8 in 1983), touchdown passes (32 in 1984), games with 4 or more touchdown passes (3 in 1985) and highest percentage of touchdown passes (7.89 in 1988)
Holds Seahawks single game records for highest completion percentage (86.36 on 12/11/88 vs. Denver Broncos) and highest average gain (14.52 on 12/14/86 vs. San Diego Chargers)
Holds NFL record for most seasons in career having played every play at QB in a year (3)
Holds Seahawks record for most games with 400 or more yards passing (4)
Holds Seahawks record for most games with 5 or more touchdown passes (5)
Holds Seahawks record for most games with 4 or more touchdown passes (7)
Had two games with a perfect passer rating.

I think Warren Moon surpassed some of these stats in his short stint as Hawks QB. Imagine if the Hawks would have taken Warren Moon in the draft in 1978. Consider he was NOT DRAFTED by an NFL team coming out of the University of Washington.

9× Pro Bowl selection (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997)
3× All-Pro selection (1988, 1989, 1990)
5× Grey Cup champion (66th, 67th, 68th, 69th, 70th)
2001 Enshrined on Eskimos' Wall of Fame
1990 NEA NFL MVP
1990 NFL Offensive Player of the Year
1990 UPI AFL-AFC Player of the Year
1989 Man of the Year
1997 Pro Bowl MVP
1982 Grey Cup MVP
1980 Grey Cup MVP
1983 CFL Most Outstanding Player
1983 Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy
1978 Rose Bowl MVP
1977 Pac-8 Player of the Year
Oilers/Titans Career Passing Yards Leader with 32,685
Tennessee Titans #1 Retired
Hall of Fame (inducted in 2006)
University of Washingtion Ring of Honor (Inaugural Member in 2013)[20]

Dave Krieg was man, Warren Moon should have been man. Could you imagine a 20+ year career by Moon in a Hawks uni? We would be talking about the best QB that ever walked the face of Gods Green Earth being a Seahawk.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
That was a helluva play. Remember it like it was yesterday.

One of my all-time Hawk memories.

I was 41 at the time.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2459657u said:

I was 41 at the time.

I was 29......

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Man I remember that game vividly. I was In the Marines stationed at NAS Whidbey Is. and my brother was also stationed there in the Navy. I was watching the game with him at his barrack's lounge (my two step brothers were also visiting) and I think we did the wave on that last play as we all jumped off the couch!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
kearly":37beg9xo said:
MidwestHawker":37beg9xo said:
That was the day that I became hooked on Hawks football as a 10-year-old. I only rooted for the team casually up to then because I was more into basketball, but that finish was pure awesome and I became obsessed with the team (and eventually with all of football) going forward.

This is the moment my fandom began as well, as a 9 year old. Before this play I didn't get why people cared so much about what another team did, and then that play happened and it all made sense.

Similar story here, I musta been 12. Always watched the Seahawks and liked football but that day pretty much solidified me as life-long fan. I remember watching the game and recording it on VIDEO CASSETTE because my dad had to worked. Almost wore the tape out rewinding it and watching it over and over again before he got home.

Torc

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite plays too, and one reason Krieg will always be one of my favorite QBs. You could fault his hands, you could complain about streakiness, but that dude came to play.

As an aside, remember the old "in the grasp" rule? I remember Thomas right after the game, complaining that Krieg should have been called 'in the grasp' and given him another sack. What a terrible rule, and I'm so glad they removed it. I think this play (and certainly this KIND of play) is one reason why.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Torc":2qek1mwt said:
This is one of my favorite plays too, and one reason Krieg will always be one of my favorite QBs. You could fault his hands, you could complain about streakiness, but that dude came to play.

As an aside, remember the old "in the grasp" rule? I remember Thomas right after the game, complaining that Krieg should have been called 'in the grasp' and given him another sack. What a terrible rule, and I'm so glad they removed it. I think this play (and certainly this KIND of play) is one reason why.

I remember that rule! It was always ridiculous trying to figure out if a play should have been whistled dead after a player merely grabbed a qb's jersey, etc. But what a great play! I remember that game and it provided such hope as a Hawk fan back then. Skansi was spectacular on that play and that was one of Krieg's best moments. That era in Hawkland was one where you always seemed so hopeful after certain games, but the seasons just never developed the way you wished. Great nostalgia by the OP.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":s4q5n1sh said:
onanygivensunday":s4q5n1sh said:

I was 41 at the time.

I was 29......
I was 43, but that game was one for the history books.
Could you imagine what that team would have looked like with a RB like ML in there to help Krieg? :shock:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":370thg3j said:
Seahawkfan80":370thg3j said:
onanygivensunday":370thg3j said:

I was 41 at the time.

I was 29......
I was 43, but that game was one for the history books.
Could you imagine what that team would have looked like with a RB like ML in there to help Krieg? :shock:

Heck...I would even drop a lower hit.....Shawn A.???? 8)

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ijeac11 said:
kearly":2ijeac11 said:
MidwestHawker":2ijeac11 said:
That was the day that I became hooked on Hawks football as a 10-year-old. I only rooted for the team casually up to then because I was more into basketball, but that finish was pure awesome and I became obsessed with the team (and eventually with all of football) going forward.

This is the moment my fandom began as well, as a 9 year old. Before this play I didn't get why people cared so much about what another team did, and then that play happened and it all made sense.

Similar story here, I musta been 12. Always watched the Seahawks and liked football but that day pretty much solidified me as life-long fan. I remember watching the game and recording it on VIDEO CASSETTE because my dad had to worked. Almost wore the tape out rewinding it and watching it over and over again before he got home.

Same for me. Was a casual fan from the Seahawks beginning, but the game was switch flipping to being a die-hard fan for me.

Latest posts