This is the second best defense of all time...

plyka

Reaction score
theascension":s0mz94wg said:
RichNhansom":s0mz94wg said:
Keep in mind those stats from defenses past were set in large part to completely different rules that made it much harder for offenses to perform and statistically made defenses look better than defenses of today. Doing what this defense did in today's rules is unbelievable and should be mentioned when comparing defenses of the past.

Exactly. If we boil it down to one very important stat the '85 bears allowed: 4.8 adjusted yards per play versus a 5.8 league average. The Seahawks also allowed 4.8 ay/p but versus a 6.2 average.

20 more average yards a game defensively in 2013 v.s 1985. The Seahawks were almost 500 yards less than the second best defense allowed this year (carolina). The Bears were only 200 yards better than the Giants in 1985.

The margin of difference defensively of the Seahawks versus the (rest) in 2013 is most impressive to me. If we can get a better run defense next year.. watch out even those comparing our Defense to ancient incomparable records..

I agree with most of your post. But not the part where you are comparing #1 versus #2. The 1985 Giants were also one of the best defenses ever. That was a team stacked with hall of famers. You had the best defensive player of all time, Lawrence Taylor, you had Carl Banks --perhaps the best tandem LBs of all time --then Leanord Marshall, and the list continues. Carolina this year is no where close to the 1985 Giants defense.

godawg

Reaction score
Just ran into a colleague in San Luis Obispo and asked him, how bout them Hawks? He said he'd bet on Denver and was shocked. "I didn't know the Seahawks had the best defense of all time. Now I know that without a doubt."

bellingerga

Reaction score
godawg":1r1i8ffi said:
Just ran into a colleague in San Luis Obispo and asked him, how bout them Hawks? He said he'd bet on Denver and was shocked. "I didn't know the Seahawks had the best defense of all time. Now I know that without a doubt."

My Grandpa in law bet for the Donkeys too, and basically said the same thing to me afterwards. That'll teach em.