This Defense needs an Angry Dawg!

jeremiah

Reaction score
This defense needs some toughness.

They're softer than a wet sponge. I want nasty dudes out there. Go helmet to helmet every now and then just to send a message. Gain a reputation for being dirty.

I miss our team being a bunch of villains, not the guys that hold the door open for old ladies and pay for people's groceries
People were talking about how the 9ers were dirty after the Eagles game. To me they played like the Hawks did back in the too short glory days. We beat you, beat you up, and the next week they would lose again because they still hadn't recovered... That is my type of ball. Dirty, nasty, playing right to the edge.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Witherspoon is that Dawg, but he's a rookie. This team needs a dawg coach that is willing to attack instead of playing cautious
Witherspoon is great but we need an enforcer like Kam was. Physically imposing and able to bring the hurt. Strong safety, LB, somebody built like a brick shithouse that people fear.

GemCity

Reaction score
I would rather have a bunch of future convicts playing defense than nice guys.

Sounds harsh, but it's the truth. We need grit and mean tough guys to smack the other team around for 60 minutes
Pfftttt…that’s what we have! Take Eskridge for instance…future conv….

Damn. Never mind…you said “defense”.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Witherspoon is great but we need an enforcer like Kam was. Physically imposing and able to bring the hurt. Strong safety, LB, somebody built like a brick shithouse that people fear.
I watch Philly play, and when they do the Tush Push, nobody can stop it. If I were playing, I would come in sideways and put a nasty and 15 yd penalty hit on the QB. See if you can get in a thump that take him from "this is easy" to "O sheet, I ain't doing that anymore". The Niners played them hard, rough and nasty. THAT IS HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED. Everyone is afraid of being called dirty, and they don't want to end someones career. Hey! These QBs are making 150 million guaranteed. Are you just going to let them play clean? The game is so wide open, a late hit takes the starch out of players. It is better than being nickled and dimed out of the building. Brock Purdy didn't throw a pass over 15 yards. How about knocking the socks off of a player before he gets in his route? Letting them run free all the time is the way to lose. Everyone is playing Madden, when they should be playing Butkus or LT and put fear in players. What is a $20K fine when taken out of someones pocket who earns 5-10 Million? It doesn't have to be done all the time, but SOMETIMES it does.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
There is only one Kam. There has been many great DB enforcers in the history of the league but no one that every single opposing team’s route runners feared like Kam. Larry Fitz is one of the best ever and would take shots, even he admitted he had to know where Kam was at all times. Witherspoon is a dawg. Jerrick Reed has that in him granted going to take some development. I think Tre Brown has it too.

keasley45

Reaction score
We have Dawgs. What we are missing is the swag and confidence that comes with it. Kam and the LOB would yap, hit, and then actually break the opposing teams will. Our guys yap, hit, make a great stop 3 out of 10 times, but 70% of the time, the opposing team marches down the field. So after a while, the dawg is just the annoying thing you kick and maybe occassionaly get nipped by, as you are stealing everything from the house you just broke into.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yeah a Dawg would be nice, but he would have to be able to play within the parameters of todays NFL and be able to do his job when called upon without being a thug too. It's a hard combination to find anymore.
I agree, we don't need MORE game killing Penalties by our Defense, that I see the problem being more of a 'Lack of player Communication', poor tackling + a 3-4 Scheme that doesn't take advantage of the strength of the players we have on the roster.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Sherman wasn't afraid to put it on ya.

Browner was....Browner

Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

Mr Wagner and under recognized KJ.

Avril , Bennett, Irvin .

Damn , how lucky were we as fans to have these "types" of people on our team? McDaniel was underrated IMHO.

Common theme? These guys took it personal , these guys weren't deterred
And played for each other . Look at the highlights (as I'm sure you all have) and
look at them interacting with each other.

I agree with you Chukar, this team has some decent pieces but who is THE guy? Seattle needs at least 4-5 new starters on defense.