There should be an 8 team playoff

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":nqh1xyiu said:
Obviously not a new controversy, but 4 just isn’t enough when every year there’s similar excellent 1 loss teams and committees make such arbitrary decisions. I know the existing playoff format has several years remaining on the deal but the conference commissioners need to push for this. Yes, there will be arguments that it could then expand to 16, 32, with no end, but with 8, you have just 1 more week and then every Power 5 champ could be assured a berth along with the 3 best wildcards, regardless of conference.

Yes, there would still be some controversy for the last couple spots but 8 would likely assure at least every 1 loss team gets in. The NCAA or some conference’s counter about concern over academics being affected doesn’t hold weight considering the 16 team tournaments in other NCAA levels. Other opponents may cite an expanded playoff greatly diminishes the bowl game formula and its accompanying illusion of success for many schools but most of the bowls are already struggling in attendance and ratings. Expanding to 8 is just the logical and fair next step...not to mention even more revenue.

I say, take the WINNER of each DIV1 conference (11 teams) and one At Large bid (non-conference) and that's your playoff. Period. Make it 100% objective.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1plzny9k said:
This isnt basketball. These guys need 5-7 days between games plus there is the extra travel for fans.

Really, 4 is the only number that makes sense from a travel and timing perspective. Wouldn't mind 6 with 2 byes to the high seeds. But 4 is fine. Anything more and its stretching the timeline to a degree it loses its impact.

This is what I wish they would have gone to. Give the #1 and #2 a bye, let the remaining 4 teams fight to get to the semis.