Playoff games

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
There has been a lot of debate on this board over the last few weeks about playing in the playoffs. There are those that would prefer that the team tank a season and just blow it all up. There are those that appreciate the playoff games even if they don’t lead to a championship or even a deep playoff run. There are no guarantees one way or the other.

This “debate” got me to thinking about my own feelings about playoffs. I started following this team from the beginning and the playoffs most years were nothing more than a dream. Success some years was measured merely in achieving at least a break even season. Those two 9-7 years back in 78 & 79 seemed like nirvana in only the 3rd and 4th season of the franchise. The future seemed bright and exciting.

These winning seasons were followed by three years of basement dwelling in the AFC West before the “glory years” of the 80s happened. Those glory years were 4 barely over 500 records with a 12-4 and 10-6 record sprinkled on top. These glory years produced 1 division championship and 7 playoff games with one AFC championship game appearance. The team was mired in mediocrity for the next ten years. But we all looked back fondly on those glory years of the 80s.

Mike Holmgren was hired in 1999 and 7-9/9-7 seasons still reigned for the next 4 years. From 03-07 we finally saw the potential that we all hoped that Holmgren would bring. The Holmgren era eventually brought us 10 playoff games, with a 4-6 overall playoff record.

Pete Carroll so far has provided us with 18 playoff games. Since 1999, this team has played in 28 playoff games. For reference, this is the first year that Buffalo has been to the playoffs since 1995. A long time ago, I started looking at playoff games as bonus games. Extra games that are there for entertainment. Each and every season I look forward to those 16 regular season games knowing that win, lose or tie, I will get to watch my favorite team go through highs and lows, excitement and frustration all in 3 hours. I look forward to those 3 hours all week long. Game days are the best days. They don’t always turn out how we want them to but where would the fun be if we were guaranteed wins exactly how we think they should be?

Since 1999, we as Seahawks fans have gotten to be entertained by 28 bonus games. We cheer, we yell, we swear, we jump up and down, we high five, we get excited, we get pissed, we get our heart rates up, we laugh, we cry. It’s the best 3 hours of the week 16 times a year. I’m thankful for all the bonus game that we as Seahawks fans have been given. Sure I’d like more wins. As a fan, I hope for them and certainly expect them more than I did back in the 70s and 90s. 28 playoff games since 1999. That’s almost 2 full seasons of extra football.

It’s blue Friday. Proudly I go through my day wearing my Seahawks wear. I do wish we had a game this weekend to look forward to. Oh how I want to see another Lombardi come our way. Until then, I’ll intently follow the offseason process and hope that the moves they make get us closer to the next one. Looking forward to the 2021 season. Have faith. Enjoy the ride.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Brilliant post. Well said my friend. Perspective is a sweet, sweet elixir.

Latest posts