The unseen Beauty of the Baldwin Touchdown Pass

themunn

Reaction score
StoneCold":e7lhnc24 said:
I'll have to watch it again, but there was a Panther player in the area and Russell had to get it over that player without putting too much loft and give him a shot at knocking it down. But Like I said I'll have to watch it again.

Nah I just watched it again, that one is definitely all on Russell, Kearse has to slow down to catch the ball which allows the Panthers safety to get a bit closer. Kearse could have turned upfield slightly and caught it in stride (he slows down so that he is in position to catch it), but I think that would have reduced his chances of catching it (awkward body position).

If Wilson throws it a bit lower and closer to the sideline it's a TD all the way because the nearest player was about 6-7 yards away.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
byau":1g7d00nm said:
ivotuk":1g7d00nm said:
Russell had pressure but knew he didn't have time to wait for Doug to get to his spot, so he threw an absolute Rainbow! That ball had a lot of loft under it which gave it perfect timing to land right in ADB's chest.

I'm not absolutely positive yet, but I see a lot of maturation in Russell Wilson's passing. His accuracy is improving and I saw at least 2 balls that would likely have been overthrows in the past. The jump ball to Marshawn, and the first long toss to Jermaine Kearse.

Can you imagine what it would be like when Russell Wilson consistently starts hitting the 70% completion mark? AbsolutleyFreakingRidiculous! :shock:

I am pretty sure that was called too. Pre-snap. I think Russell read the blitz, called it somehow to tell Doug to just gun it and the ball would be there. He threw it up, let Baldwin go for it.

Love the maturation. And the pre-snap call (though what was with the "goggles" gesture Russell made? Was that him telling Doug to go long?)

Yes, the gesture was the communication to Baldwin after he read the defense/coverage and liked dougs matchup.

Now that its on tape and everybody and their brother knows that that was what that gesture meant, they will switch it up and have other signals/cues

12evanf

Reaction score
During pre-game, Raible/Moon were talking about RW getting time to rest/heal (from all of the hits) on the week off. They also said RW usually starts throwing pre-warm ups but was not that night. They predicted that his arm would be very fresh and he would be on target.

I noticed the soft touch on the Baldwin touchdown and the toss to Marshawn to beat the blitz.

mikeak

Reaction score
themunn":1vocy728 said:
StoneCold":1vocy728 said:
I'll have to watch it again, but there was a Panther player in the area and Russell had to get it over that player without putting too much loft and give him a shot at knocking it down. But Like I said I'll have to watch it again.

Nah I just watched it again, that one is definitely all on Russell, Kearse has to slow down to catch the ball which allows the Panthers safety to get a bit closer. Kearse could have turned upfield slightly and caught it in stride (he slows down so that he is in position to catch it), but I think that would have reduced his chances of catching it (awkward body position).

If Wilson throws it a bit lower and closer to the sideline it's a TD all the way because the nearest player was about 6-7 yards away.

as I said - I think RW thought Kearse would turn upfield and then it is a perfectly thrown pass. Look at right before the ball is thrown and the path that Kearse is at that time vs the path Kearse is at when the ball gets there

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I dont know if there's much in here we haven't already discussed, but here's Brock's breakdown:

[youtube]lYPJtv1Z11I[/youtube]

evergreen

Reaction score
His super smart throw aways will always hurt his completion % and help his winning %.

Latest posts